When I start MyGM in NBA 2K17, one of the first things I do is look at my team roster. What are its weaknesses? Who are my best players? Who can I unload to try and improve my team?
One thing that is thoroughly enjoyable (for me at least) is taking my team and building a powerhouse based on youth and potential. The team might be average to begin with, but after a season or two — and some improvement in player ratings — my young studs usually grow into seasoned monsters.
I’ve taken the liberty of listing the top five young players at each position who have high potential and a high ceiling. You can target these players to help your team immediately, or after a few seasons of growth. The players are listed based on in-game overall; potential and basic info can be seen as well.
5. Otto Porter, Age 23 – Washington Wizards (80 Overall, A- Potential; $5.89M 1-Year Contract)
– A mid-range and three-point sharpshooter, Porter can also get on the glass. Young age and elite potential.
4. Tobias Harris, Age 24 – Detroit Pistons (80 Overall, A- Potential; $48.00M 3-Year Contract)
– Good all-around player with elite potential.
3. Harrison Barnes, Age 24 – Dallas Mavericks (83 Overall, B+ Potential; $69.34M 3-Year Contract)
– Decent shooter, elite strength and basketball IQ. He’s still young even though it seems like he’s been around forever.
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Age 21 – Milwaukee Bucks (90 Overall, A Potential; $103.00M 5-Year Contract)
– He’s strong, can shoot better than you expect, great defender, elite playmaking and IQ…and he’s 21. His elite potential makes him a piece to add to your squad. Work some contract magic to bring him in.
1. Kawhi Leonard, Age 25 – San Antonio Spurs (96 Overall, A+ Potential; $56.61M 3-Year Contract)
– Kawhi Leonard is a two-way stud. Period. He won’t come cheap, but he’s worth every last cent. Go get him…now. He also has one of the wettest jumpers in NBA 2K.
Ben Simmons, Age 20 – Philadelphia 76ers (80 Overall, B+ Potential; $12.07M 2-Year Contract)
Justise Winslow, Age 20 – Miami Heat (76 Overall, A- Potential; $2.59M 1-Year Contract)