GameInformer has posted full details on Career mode for NASCAR Heat 2, which includes the addition of rivalries and momentum. Make sure to watch the new Developer Diary video while you’re there.
- The career mode starts in the truck series. As you go through your initial season you’ll get Hot Seat Race offers in the next series. Meet the criteria in these and you could get an offer to jump up to Xfinity at the end of the year. When you accept a contract with a team, you take over one of their cars and replace that driver. Overall, there are no driver retirements, and the other drivers will stay in their series and do not migrate up with you.
- You can race in multiple series at once, and even do a multi-series race weekend if the schedule aligns.
- You can stay in the same series if you want.
- Brad Keselowski stopped by the Monster Games office and helped the team with one big aspect of NASCAR Heat 2: Driver rivalries and friendships. Both are naturally formed by how you treat drivers on the track.
- The rivalry system has a ramp-up period so you’re not going to see a driver go crazy if you have one run in. Tempers will boil over, however, the more you go at it. Driver relationships cool off somewhat between seasons so rivalries and bad feelings between drivers are not permanent. The studio says it wants to also make it so large wrecks at a plate track, for instance, don’t make you a bunch of enemies just because you got caught up in The Big One.
- You also get driver feedback from Keselowski and others via a message system, both as a way to help you and give some driver flavor to the mode. Messages about your rivalry status with a particular driver pop up after races.
- Monster is currently working on other ways to involve the drivers in your career.
- Team momentum is earned by strong finishes at the track from week to week. The idea is your strong performances lift your team members and crew ultimately giving you stronger, better performing cars.
- In general, the longer you stay with one team, the better that team gets. This allows you to build and improve one of the lower-ranked teams in real life. This replaces the last game’s facilities upgrade function.