EA Sports Madden NFL 18’s story mode will be called “Longshot” and will feature a character called Devin Wade. You will guide Devin from high school in Mathis, TX all the way through college and the pros.
Here are some additional details on Longshot:
- It will be a playable sports movie. That means the character, Devin Wade is the playable character and you’ll play in a pretty linear fashion.
- Longshot will feature moments from Devin’s pop warner days all the way through college.
- You actually won’t play a single NFL game in the mode.
- The story is an origins story that takes place between the NFL combine and NFL draft across a three-month window.
- The story is a redemption story.
- The mode is a ‘campaign mode’ but for sports.
- There’ll be college football games you play in.
- Devin Wade is a HS QB in Texas football and goes on to play FBS. Now he’s back with his all-heart but under-talented wide receiver best friend named Colt Cruise.
- The blocking and acting are cinematic in nature.
- There are multiple endings to the mode, and the choices you make have impacts on which of the endings you see.
- 7-on-7 padless football is featured in the mode.
- An interactive NFL combine is included. You’ll throw a route tree and take pocket movement drills.
- Branching dialogue.
- The mode will include a lot of education on the game of football.
- Texas 7-on-7 leagues were observed to get the 7-on-7 action right.
- There will be ultimate team awards available to those who participate in the mode, including Dan Marino.
- 45 characters are included in the story.
- Devin’s father is played by Mahershala Ali, an Oscar winner.