How does the spiritual successor to the popular 90s game stack up thus far?
How do the game's ratings stack up?
Some ideas to make Madden more of a sim for the next year...
What is the formula the Patriots and Falcons used?
Operation Sports Content
Sunday, March 26, 2017
10:38 AM - March 26, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve NoahEvery Sunday, we will get you caught up on the sports gaming news you might have missed during the week.
- We are Twitch streaming MLB The Show 17 all weekend, watch here
- Super Mega Baseball 2 Video & All of the Customization Options in the Game
- 3-on-3 Freestyle Review (PS4)
- Disc Jam Review (PS4)
- DiRT 4 New Team Management System Details
- MLB The Show 17 Video - Road to the Show Gameplay
- OOTP 18 Road to Release: World Baseball Classic and Other Tournaments
- FIFA 17 Patch 1.08 Available Now, Details Included
- Breaking Down the NBA Playoff Fringe in NBA 2K17
- Rocket League Patch 1.31 Available Now, Adds New Dropshot Mode - Patch Notes Included
- MLB The Show 17 Video - SunTrust Park
- NBA 2K17 Video - MVP Race (Shady00018)
- MLB The Show 17 Trophies Revealed
- Out of the Park Baseball 18 Road to Release: What’s New with the Game's Rosters
- NBA Live 18, FIFA 18, Madden NFL 18 & More Playable at EA Play 2017 on June 10-12
- The Definitive Ranking of the Madden Cover Curses
- Canadian Football 2017 Scheduled to Arrive in June - Quick Play Only, No CFL License
- NBA 2K17 Roster Update Available Now, Details Included (3-24)
- Out of the Park Baseball 18 Available Now
- NHL 18 Wishlist: Features We'd Like To See
Friday, March 24, 2017
06:26 PM - March 24, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Fraser Gilbert
It’s almost that time of year again! Before you know it, we’ll be inundated with new information regarding the latest iteration of EA’s long-running hockey series. As we get ever closer to that date, it’s time to get our brains into gear and think about what we’re hoping to see in EA’s upcoming addition to the franchise.
What do we know about NHL 18 so far? Very little. It seems doubtful the Frostbite engine will make its debut, given there's been no indication of its inclusion during EA’s recent earnings conference call.
Here at OS, we’ve always loved creating wishlists for our favorite games, and the NHL series is no exception. I’ve used this opportunity to detail both my own personal desires for NHL 18, as well as including some items found in our forums over the past few months.
Read More - NHL 18 Wishlist: Features We'd Like To See (Written by: Fraser Gilbert)
11:24 AM - March 24, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
We are live streaming MLB The Show 17 on the OS Twitch channel. Come join us, with our host Millennium, as he shows off the game and answers questions.
08:40 AM - March 24, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Out of the Park Baseball 18 is available now for $39.99 on Steam and through the official website. Read the full press release below and check out the trailer here.
Out of the Park Baseball 18, an Official Licensee of MLB.com, MLBPA, and MiLB.com, Now Available Worldwide
Follow-up to Metacritic’s 2016 PC Game of the Year features a new Challenge Mode, Online Profiles and Leaderboards, real 2017 major and minor league rosters, historic Negro League teams, improved 3D mode, new tournaments, and much more
Out of the Park Developments, an official licensee of MLB.com, the MLBPA, and MiLB.com, today announced that Out of the Park Baseball 18 is now available worldwide. The follow-up to the acclaimed Metacritic 2016 PC Game of the Year includes several exciting new features and a treasure trove of deep improvements to its award-winning gameplay.
For the first time, Out of the Park Baseball 18 introduces an all-new Challenge Mode. This allows series newcomers to enjoy a powerful way to learn the intricacies of this deep strategy title, while driving community engagement for all users via the creation of online profiles to share accomplishments on new leaderboards. The Challenge Mode is just the beginning of an all-new, long-term expansion of OOTP’s online platform -- more will be unveiled during the course of the 2017 baseball season.
Out of the Park Baseball 18 also includes:
- 2017 roster sets with all Opening Day MLB rosters, as well as the complete minor league system from Triple-A down to rookie leagues and the Arizona Fall League. All major league (and over a thousand minor league) player ratings are based on the popular ZiPS player projection system. The 8 international leagues, as well as independent minor leagues in the US, also return this year with accurate rosters.
- Historical Negro League clubs, thanks to a partnership with OOTP’s acclaimed historical database experts and Seamheads.com. This feature allows baseball fans to explore the rich history of a bygone era, create compelling what-if scenarios, pit major league clubs against their Negro League counterparts, and much more.
- Improvements to 3D mode, including: Even more ballpark detail; better on-field player models and enhanced on-field decisions; and the ability to save all 3D highlights and watch a highlight reel, whether the game was played out or simulated.
- Custom and real world tournaments for all the teams included in the game. National and international tournaments are a breeze to create, as is the ability to import historical teams.
- Extensive AI improvements, including roster management, trades, and in-game decision-making.
- A redesigned injury system that features detailed injury histories for all players, little nagging long-term injuries, and more.
- Many more improvements, including:
- A beautiful new interface
- Improved game recaps
- An upgraded player morale/team chemistry system
- Enhanced play-by-play text and league news
- A sophisticated system for team relegation and promotion between leagues
- The ability to retain player salaries in trades
- The incorporation of many 2017 CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) rule changes
- Faster import speeds of historical minor league seasons
“Fans have been overwhelmingly positive about Out of the Park Baseball 18 since it was announced in January,” said lead developer, lifelong baseball fan, and Out of the Park Developments CEO Markus Heinsohn. “We’re thrilled to deliver a game that will allow us to dramatically expand our online community and delight a new generation of fans.”
“Out of the Park Baseball has been setting the bar high for sports management games over the past 18 years, and this year’s edition is no different,” said Out of the Park Developments CMO Richard Grisham. “Every time I think they can’t top last year’s version, they do it again. I tip my cap to the hardest-working development team in video games.”
08:26 AM - March 24, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Mike Stauffer (@2KStauff) has sent us the NBA 2K17 roster update details. Check them out here.
08:00 AM - March 24, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Canadian Football 2017 is scheduled to arrive in June for Xbox One for around $15. PS4 and PC release is scheduled at a later date. During a recent interview with 3DownNation, Canuck Play confirmed the game will only come with a quick play mode. Career mode and other features would require more development time.
The game will feature 9 teams, but unfortunately, will not have the CFL license, which means the game will not feature official CFL teams, stadiums, player names, etc. PC players will be able to edit those details, but Xbox One and PlayStation 4 players will not.
Check out the gameplay section of the interview below and read the full interview here.
3DownNation: Tell me a bit more about the gameplay itself.
Canuck Play: Passing is touched based. Like other football games, each receiver is assigned a button and the longer you hold the button down, the harder the throw to that receiver will be. When you play the game, you’ll have the option to tap a button to lob a pass and put more air under it (for a fly route), or press and hold the button for a bullet pass (for a slant over the middle).
On-field players have basic juke moves like side steps and spins and it’s worth mentioning that players become fatigued the more you use them. There’s actually a fatigue meter under the ball carrier that indicates how tired that player is. You can run the ball with the same player several times in a row, but you’re going to wear him out and he’ll start to slow down and eventually become more likely to fumble the ball. Our fatigue meter adds an extra layer of strategy to the game as you’ll really need to spread the ball around.
Kicking is fairly traditional, aim with the right thumb-stick, then pull back and push forward with the left one to put the ball in motion. Given the short play clock, you get very little time to aim and kick. As for punting, we have included the uniquely Canadian quirk that allows a kick returner to punt the ball back out of the end zone to avoid giving up a rouge. There’s also the possibility to recover your punts with an onside kick, another feature that you won’t find in other football titles.
I also want to emphasize that Canuck Play has aimed to create a game that anyone can pick up and enjoy. Some titles (like Madden) are simply too intimidating to a lot of people. That’s why we’ve put a lot of effort into simplifying things and making our game extremely accessible by allowing players do do things such as adjusting the play clock (to give you more time to pick plays), to turn off the waggle (so that the ball is always automatically snapped at the right time) and so on.
Thursday, March 23, 2017
01:30 PM - March 23, 2017. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Kevin Scott
Not all curses are created equal. When it comes to the kind that have befallen the players who were lucky (or unlucky) enough to find themselves featured on the cover of Madden over the years, there are those who have been fortunate enough to escape relatively unscathed and there are others who could not help but succumb to its unyielding wrath.
In an effort to determine who has been hit the hardest by the Madden Curse, and perhaps warn others who would hope to one day receive the honor, I have devised a complex scoring system to help rank all of the previous cover stars. They have been placed into three different groups based on the severity of curse, and ranked 1-10 in the following criteria...
Read More - The Definitive Ranking of the Madden Cover Curses
12:43 PM - March 23, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
NBA Live 18, FIFA 18, Madden NFL 18 & The next Need for Speed will all be playable at EA Play 2017, from June 10 to 12. According to the article, EA will have more to share in the coming months, so it's possible NHL 18 (NHL 17 was playable at EA Play 2016) and/or more games will be there.
Tickets to the event will be open to the public in Hollywood, CA on April 20 at 9:00 AM PST with more details in the coming weeks on how the ticketing process will work.
10:18 AM - March 23, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
It’s that exciting time of year again, baseball fans. Spring training is in full swing as MLB teams see if the time spent this winter trying to craft what they hope will be this year’s Chicago Cubs comes to fruition or not. And a new a spring tradition continues with the upcoming release of Out of the Park Baseball 18. As always, with it comes important updates to the always impressive MLB roster set.
Every year, the OOTP roster team works hard to ensure that when you create a new MLB game, you have the latest and greatest team rosters available at your fingertips. Imagine booting up a game only to see Edwin Encarnacion still on the Blue jays or Alex Rodriguez still on the Yankees roster. Not with OOTP, folks! The roster team performs constant updates based on any and all of the real life MLB transactions, all the way up to and after the game’s release.
Read More - Out of the Park Baseball 18 Road to Release: What’s New with the Game's Rosters
Just in case you missed the other Out of the Park Baseball 18 Road to Release articles, the links are below.
- Out of the Park Baseball 18 Road to Release: The Negro Leagues
- Out of the Park Baseball 18 Road to Release: Challenge Mode
- Out of the Park Baseball 18 Road to Release: Promotion and Relegation
- OOTP 18 Road to Release: World Baseball Classic and Other Tournaments
Wednesday, March 22, 2017
09:14 PM - March 22, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Shady has checked in with another NBA 2K17 montage, this one featuring the MVP race. Amazing work, considering the director's cut isn't in the game. Check it out and post your thoughts.
07:39 PM - March 22, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
The Atlanta Braves have posted a new MLB The Show 17 video showing off the new SunTrust Park. Check it out and post your thoughts!
NOTE: The Big A in right field spins.
04:31 PM - March 22, 2017. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Rocket League patch 1.31 is available now, on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, adding the new Dropshot mode and much more.
Check out some of the details below, full patch notes are at the official website.
- Dropshot game mode is now available in the unranked playlists
- Neo Tokyo has been removed from Casual and Competitive playlists
- Turbo Crate has been added
- Painted Endo bodies and Tachyon Rocket Trails can be found in the Turbo Crate
- Seasonal Easter Items can be acquired March 22 to April 17
- Season 3 of Competitive play is ending and Season 4 begins. Titles and items will be awarded for the highest rank achieved during the season
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
04:16 PM - March 21, 2017. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Joel Smith
With NBA teams either throwing in the towel for the year, fighting for a spot in the playoffs, or resting their stars to prep for a deep playoff run, we're in the final stretch of the season. In the Eastern and Western Conferences, the teams holding the 7th and 8th seeds are playing for their lives to hold their spots and make it to the Second Season. The teams in the 9th and 10th spots are attempting to move into 8th and play spoiler.
After the trades that went down before the deadline, and the free agency acquisitions that have been made, what are the 7 to 10 spots looking like going into crunch time? The layouts of the conferences in the East and the West at the fringes (7 to 10) are looking interesting.
Read More - Breaking Down the NBA Playoff Fringe in NBA 2K17
09:43 AM - March 21, 2017. Posted by loccdogg26. Written by Steve NoahFIFA 17 patch 1.08 is available now for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Check out the patch notes below.