"If this is where Indie Sports Games are heading, then we're on board."
A look at Microsoft's sim racer and its debut on next-gen.
EA Sports does it again, with a great debut of their best-selling soccer franchise on next-gen.
We go in-depth with the XBox One.
Top Sports News for Friday, November 22, 2013
- Amid concerns of "football culture" and the example it represents, one group is asking NFL players to clean up their leanguage -- especially the use of the N-word.
- MLBPA union leader Michael Weiner has passed away at
The Need For Speed series has been a constant on consoles for almost 20 years, and while there have been many ups and downs for the series, it has always drawn interest from racing fans. The series has also seen its fair share of developers, from EA Canada, Slightly Mad Studios, Criterion, and now Ghost Games.
The minute you fire up the newest release, in Need For Speed Rivals, fans of the series will notice a familiar feel as it closely resembles Criterion's Need For Speed: Most Wanted(2012) and Hot Pursuit(2010). And while that’s not bad thing, fans who were looking for a change of direction because of a new development team, might come away a bit disappointed. To be fair though, Ghost Games is comprised of a lot of former Criterion staff, hence the familiar feeling to the game.
The open world of racing returns with Need For Speed Rivals, and this time because of the newly implemented ALLDrive, the three worlds of single player, co-op, and multiplayer have all merged together in one setting. What this means is simply everything you do in the fictitious Redview County will be done together. That’s right – friends, A.I., and others will now all be on a server at once, and it makes for some interesting gameplay.
Read More - Need for Speed Rivals Review (PS4)
A day one update is coming for FIFA 14 Xbox One users today, which fixes a controller bug and the ability to play any online features when bringing your console out of suspend mode.
Other lingering issues with both next-gen consoles are being worked on, with release dates coming soon. See the details below.
- Controller Bug: Using two separate controllers, both assigned to user profiles, and then using controller two to navigate the bootflow when FIFA 14 is loading can result in a crash. The FIFA dev team will be fixing this issue as soon as possible (shortly after launch) but, in the meantime and as a workaround: please only use controller one to navigate the bootflow of FIFA 14. You can turn on and use the controller two once in the main menu.
- Bootflow Issue: If you suspend the console (leave it inactive until it ’sleeps’) on the title screen in the Xbox One bootflow, you will not be able to access any online features when returning from an unsuspended state. As a workaround: don’t suspend the console when on the title screen. If you do, simply restart the console (XB1 Only).
- FIFA fans cannot join Friends Only matches via a friend’s profile (PS4 Only). You should: Accept the invite from the user when it comes through and you will be able to join the match properly.
- Title crash in Co-Op seasons if the captain is using a custom formation and the non-captain does not have any custom formations (XB1 Only). You should: Make sure you have the same amount of custom formations as your teammate, or not use them.
- The ‘Seasons Win’ item in the EA SPORTS FC catalogue will not be properly received if gifted to a friend. (BOTH PS4/XB1) You should: Hold off on gifting this item until the upcoming title update.
- Compatibility improvements with Xbox voice commands (XB1 Only).
- When playing as a GK in Pro Clubs, you will have no way of changing the camera off of the ‘End To End’ camera (XB1 Only).
EA Sports has released an update to their mobile version of Madden NFL 25, which is available now for iOS and Android devices. It includes new features, improved gameplay and overall usability. Check out some of the details below.
- Earn rewards and build your team rating faster when you complete collections
- Collect a combination of players to unlock Elite players, coin rewards and more
- Elite players have unique modifiers that boost your team’s attributes
- New unique collections will be added weekly
- Plays you own are free! They no longer cost coins to call them.
- New interception system - Find yourself picking off passes with more authenticity
- New kicking system – A new flick-based system makes kicking more fun
- Bug fixes for improved stability
- New players based on their performance so far this year.
- More than 200 new games are now available!
- Solo Challenges may be selected in any order and team requirements have been adjusted for easier access
- Field Goals and Punt challenges now improved to provide more fun and variety with added wind effects
- Auction House now provides expanded search options to help find the player you’re looking for!
- Streamlined experience to get you playing faster than ever before
- Team management improved to help you set the line-up of your dreams
Check out the extended version of the NBA 2K14 next-gen Momentous trailer. While PS4 users have had time to play, Xbox One users have their opportunity when the game ships along with the console tomorrow.
Mount Panorama Racing Circuit - Bathurst
Bathurst is known by anyone who has raced there as something to be feared and respected. It is challenging and rewarding but will take its toll given the slightest mistake. The 3.8-mile circuit travels around, up and over Mount Panorama in Australia. The circuit’s 570-foot elevation change, off-camber corners, and narrow racing surface are technically a street circuit since it is made up entirely of public roads. Nearly every stretch of track has been named after notable supporters or events that contributed to the track’s rich history. On Conrod Straight, V8 Supercars will close in on 200 MPH before hitting the three-turn sequence of The Chase. Preceding Conrod Straight is Forrest’s Elbow – named after a motorcycle racer who scraped his elbow while racing. No matter where you are on Mount Panorama, the views and the tests of your driving skill will be tremendous.
Georgia’s Road Atlanta course, owned by local automaker and racing team Panoz Motorsports, is most famous as home to the crowning race of the ALMS season, Petit Le Mans. The 1,000-mile endurance race was one of the original events in the American Le Mans Series, and the winner of the race in each class automatically qualifies for the 24 Hour of Le Mans race the following year. Some may remember Road Atlanta as the scene of two of the most spectacular crashes in history, when a Porsche 911 GT1 did a complete backflip in 1998, followed in 2000 by a BMW V12 LMR—less a fault of the track and more an issue with insufficient aerodynamic development on the cars. Constructed in 1969 out of a farmer’s field in an area better known for oval-track racing, Road Atlanta has attracted some of the best North American race series to roar around a road course, including Can-Am, Trans Am, Formula 5000, and AMA motorcycle racing. Revived from a period of disuse in the mid-1990s by Don Panoz, changes included the addition of a chicane (turns 10a and 10b) to bring the track up to international race standards. On the long straight leading up to that chicane, the best LMP1 cars can exceed 200 mph. The track’s elevation changes and a wide variety of corner types make it the perfect venue to test the extreme performance of the latest ALMS and LMS racers, or to simply give your favorite car a workout.
Source - Forza Motorsport
Since the days of NFL licensed electric football, people have been trying to replicate the pro game in their living rooms for ages. Back then people had to use their imagination quite a bit, but thankfully for today’s generation we can plop down on the couch and fire up our favorite video game consoles to do just that. With the release of Sony’s Playstation 4 on Friday, and Microsoft’s Xbox One release just around the corner, EA Sports has released their latest iteration of its NFL franchise, Madden 25.
Read More - Madden NFL 25 Next-Gen Review (PS4)
Top Sports News for Thursday, November 21, 2013
- Detroit wants baserunners, Texas run-producers. Prince meet the Rangers -- Kinsler, the Tigers.
- The Jameis Winston sexual assault saga has gotten strange in regard to the handling of the investigation, but new reports that link him to his accuser through DNA sampling
While you can't transfer your Career Mode players or club from current-gen to next-gen FIFA 14, EA Sports will reward the most loyal Career Mode players. The team plans to reward players based on their Career progress on current-gen and apply it to the beginning of their new Career on next-gen.
Tier 1 = Played at least 15 games
• +1 to all Career Pro attributes
• 1 Top GTN scout for one season
• +15% Initial transfer budget
Tier 2 = Played at least one season
• +3 to all Career Pro attributes
• 1 Top GTN scout for one season
• +30% Initial transfer budget
• Rematch Ability
Tier 3 = Played at least 2 seasons
• +5 to all Career Pro attributes
• 1 Top GTN scout for one season
• +60% Initial transfer budget
• Rematch Ability
• Edit Player functionality
Source - EA Forums
Gran Turismo 6 hasn't even released yet (it ships on December 6th), but creator Kazunori Yamauchi mentions the best case scenario would be for Gran Turismo 7 to release next year.
Source - Top Gear
The NCAA is suing EA and the CLC for what it is calling, "breaches of contract" stemming from the Ed O'Bannon case. The suit seeks to block the proposed settlement between EA & the CLC/O'Bannon from going through.
This is an interesting move from the NCAA, and potentially one of desperation to try to keep the case focused in as diverse a manner as possible so that they don't bear the brunt of the suit which now only names them in it. The O'Bannon case is largely the reason the NCAA Football series was cancelled by EA Sports earlier this fall.
The souring EA/NCAA relationship pretty much means there's no much of a chance of an officially licensed NCAA video game product anytime soon -- if there was even a chance beforehand.
What do you all think?
The latest NBA 2K14 roster update adds Brandon Davies, Hollis Thompson, Miroslav Raduljica, Dwight Buycks, Julyan Stone and Robbie Hummel.
2K Sports has released the New York Knicks orange alternates and the San Antonio Spurs military uniforms for current-gen NBA 2K14. We should see these at a later date for next-gen consoles.
Konami Digital Entertainment Inc. has extended the reach of its popular myPES social element of PES 2014, with the release of a dedicated app for iOS users, with an Android version to follow shortly.
myPES was introduced in PES 2012 in a very basic form, and was designed to allow the sharing of results within the PES community. It has now been extended greatly and the free app allows for more detailed player and game data to be shared between users.
The app is releasing alongside the second PES 2014 Data Pack, which includes functions to support sending stats data from PES 2014. The companion app thus allows users to check and organize their match stats on their iOS and Android device, and offers analysis of shots, possession, passing, and patterns of play. The build-up to goals, potential weaknesses in the opposition, and data to adapt playing styles against key opponents can then be viewed.
The app is also key to building community structures within PES 2014. Groups can be created, and myPES will track results and rank players accordingly. Users that do not have their consoles connected online will have the option to save their stats through a QR code displayed after matches, which can be scanned using the app to synchronize results for future analysis.
The key features of myPES are:
Allows users to check a wide range of basic match data such as goal records, possession, passing.
Gain a grasp of what your game is all about by checking how you build up play, where do you start pressing the opposition? Do you like to walk the ball into the goal or prefer the route-1 approach?
Create a group with friends then compare and contrast your data. Who really is the best amongst you?
Data from all myPES users are collected and ranked in order. Can you make it to the top?
Uploading stats can be done easily without a fixed internet connection. Just scan the QR code you are issued with after each match to keep updating your records.