Our review of EA's latest work with Madden NFL 15...
Our initial impressions on the retail version of the game...
Sean confirms there will be no EASHL, OTP, GM Connected or Live the Life this year at launch in NHL 15 on XB1 or PS4.
A look at HB Studios console Golf title's debut...
On Monday, we will post a special Press Row Podcast featuring tons of Madden NFL 15 content. It will have Mike Young talking about the vision of the game, Josh Looman discussing the Connected Franchise mode and the "Ratings Czar" Donny Moore.
Until then, make sure you listen to the latest Press Row Podcast, we released last week, discussing all of the sports releases on the docket and what each one has at stake. The new console generation has been terrific in some regards and challenging in others; what lessons have each franchise learned and how will they apply them this autumn?
If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.
This week, we were dropped with a bombshell that several key modes were going to be missing from the new-generation NHL 15 experience this year.
What were your reactions to the news, and can NHL recover from this to deliver a successful product this year?
Read More - The News of Missing Modes in NHL 15 (Roundtable)
The Quarterback position is probably the most over-analyzed and argument inducing position in the history of sports. Yet, it's almost universally agreed upon that it's the most important position in athletics. Simply put, if you don't have a good QB, you can't win a Super Bowl. You may even be able to stretch that even further by saying you have to have a great QB to win a Super Bowl.
The likes of the Chiefs, Vikings, and the Bears have all had solid teams in the recent past without having a great QB to throw them over the edge. It isn't a coincidence that only one time in the last five years have we had a Super Bowl without one of Manning, Brady, or Rodgers. A good QB is the key to unlocking the door to that next level for any hopeful franchise. So take a look at the top ten rated QB's in Madden 15, and see where your team's Super Bowl prospects lay:
1. Peyton Manning (98 OVR): 99 AWR, 99 SA, 96 MTA, 88 DTA, 98 PA
2. Aaron Rodgers (98 OVR): 80 SPD, 93 AWR, STA 93, TOTR 88
3. Drew Brees (96 OVR): 98 AWR, 97 STA, 91 MTA
4. Russell Wilson (93 OVR): 86 SPD, 84 AWR, 91 PA
5. Tom Brady (93 OVR): 99 AWR, 94 STA, 93 TP
6. Phillip Rivers (92 OVR): 91 AWR, STA 93, 95 PA
7. Tony Romo (91 OVR): 89 AWR, STA 90, PA 90
8. Ben Roethlisberger (90 OVR): 93 AWR, 89 STA, 94 TOTR
9. Cam Newton (89 OVR): 86 SPD, 97 TP, TOTR 95
10. Colin Kaepernick (89 OVR): 88 SPD, AWR 75, TP 95
Most Overrated: Tony Romo (91)
Most Underrated: Andrew Luck (87 OVR)
What QB fits your style of play best in Madden NFL?
To say there are some changes on the field this year in Madden NFL 15 is an understatement, with the new defensive mechanics a large portion of the defense in the game feels completely new and will require a new method of attacking. Conversely, pass defense finally feels like it's at least competent -- so throwing the football around is going to require a bit more thought than just going for money.
Here are four tips to get you started next week:
- Defensively, mixing it up has never been more important. Running different types of coverages and blitz packages is more important than ever. I have noticed the AI tends to anticipate repeated calls moreso than ever, so you can't fall into a pattern and have to always keep the offense on their toes. When playing a human, you have to really anticipate what your opponent is doing this year. There are defenses to stop every route, but not every defense stops every route.
- Learn how to read defenses. With the beefed up zones, throwing the ball is going to require at least a rudimentary working knowledge on what routes works against what defense and how to tell what a defense is in. If you try to throw a deep ball into a cover four you will feel as stupid as you should, which is a good thing.
- Establishing a running game is more vital than ever. With better zone defenses, you are going to want to force your opponent to tilt the odds in your favor with their playcalling in the passing game moreso than ever. That means establishing a running game and forcing them to compensate for it in their playcalling. On that same token, on defense you really have to shut down the run game to limit your opponents options -- if you face someone doing nothing but passing, you have the tools to shut them down this year.
- For Offline Sim-Heads, Sliders Work -- And They're Needed. Madden isn't going to play the most realistic brand of football it can out of the box ever, and while it's much better than it ever has been, the game still needs tweaks. Right now, my findings tend to see that you need to beef up pass blocking to limit sacks, tone down QB accuracy to get a more realistic set of numbers and spread, and also find a way to perhaps make QBs more aware of the fact they can get rid of the ball faster.
Check out the latest NBA Live 15 screenshot, featuring Madison Square Garden, home of the New York Knicks and Barclays Center, home of the Brooklyn Nets.
For those of you with early access to Madden NFL 15, EA Sports has already released their launch day roster update. It includes updated ratings and/or position changes for 1,272 players.
Below are some of the rating adjustments. For a full list of updates, click here.
- Eben Britton - Bears +9 (79)
- Jonathan Martin - 49ers +7 (77)
- Nate Chandler - Panthers +7 (80)
- Kyle Long - Bears +5 (83)
- Ahtyba Rubin - Browns +4 (86)
- D.J. Swearinger - Texans +4 (80)
- K.J. Wright - Seahawks +3 (86)
- Antrel Rolle - Giants +3 (89)
- Justin Tuck - Raiders +2 (90)
- Desmond Bryant - Browns +2 (83)
- Desmond Trufant - Falcons +2 (84)
- Quintin Demps - Giants +2 (79)
- Torrey Smith - Ravens +2 (88)
- Jordan Reed - Redskins +2 (83)
- Kenny Britt - Rams +2 (79)
- Pat McAfee - Colts +2 (85)
- Derrick Morgan - Titans -7 (79)
- Rolando McClain - Cowboys -5 (75)
- Brett Keisel - Steelers -3 (79)
- Victor Butler - Saints -3 (78)
- Jay Feely - Cardinals -3 (83)
- Brian De La Puente - Bears -3 (80)
- Knowshon Moreno - Dolphins -3 (84)
- Adrian Wilson - Bears -3 (83)
- LaMarr Woodley - Raiders -2 (85)
- Haloti Ngata - Ravens -2 (90)
- Greg Jones - Saints -2 (84)
- Danny Amendola - Patriots -2 (84)
- Pierre Thomas - Saints -2 (81)
- Elvis Dumervil - Ravens -2 (88)
Madden NFL is a series which has always been under the most intense of microscopes in the sports gaming community. It’s almost like Madden is a Kardashian, with its every move being dissected and broken apart on a level that would make any other sports game crumble.
Despite all of this, Madden does continually give a good and solid NFL experience most years, but is still flawed in one way or another. The past several years we have witnessed Madden fixing one set of problems, only to see a new batch arise from those fixes. I have long said football was a difficult sport to program for, and it certainly stands to reason that is the case. However, despite all of this, Madden sells extremely well and has seemed on the cusp of making it to the level of the elites in our genre for a couple of years — but it has ultimately been held back by something.
Madden NFL 15 is no different. On one hand, the game is a blast to play. On the other, it’s an, ahem, "maddening" experience.
Read More - Madden NFL 15 Review (PS4/XB1)
If you are an Xbox One user and EA Access subscriber, you no doubt have played some Madden at this point. For PS4 users, you are getting all of the info you need to make your final buying decision.
So with just a few days left until release, what is your final buying decision? Sound off by voting in our poll and let us know what would change your mind at this point!
One image, one voice...
I've talked to him over the phone, chatted with him on AOL Instant Messenger (yes we are both that old). Never saw the guy in my life, but I met him by surprise at 2K Sports headquarters 4 or 5 years ago. He didn't have to introduce himself. I heard his voice as he walked through and I shouted at him. BIG CZAR!
While most know him as Da_Czar, his real name is Nino Samuel.
I've worked with him in the background for years and watched all of his YouTube videos from start to finish. Posted many of them on OS for everyone to watch and learn from. We even host some of his videos here at OS.
Today, it was announced that he has joined the NBA 2K development team, full time. He will be working with the gameplay team and will focus on the offensive AI system.
Please show this man some love by congratulating him on his new job.
Hopefully, he has the time to chime in at OS, like he has done over the years. All the best Nino!
For those of you waiting for the PlayStation 4 version of The Golf Club, you don't have to wait much longer. The official Twitter account has announced that it will arrive on August 26th for $34.99.
EA Sports Season Ticket subscribers can now download the early release Madden NFL 15 for Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Play it for 3 full days, not for six hours, like the EA Access version. After it expires, you can then decide whether or not you want to purchase it or not.
For those that are curious, Ultimate Team is not available on Madden NFL 15 early release.
Looking to get a membership? Here's how.
- Are you an existing XBOX Live Gold Member? If so, login to your Xbox Live profile. Otherwise, go to XBOX Live to create an account.
- Go to XBOX Live Game Library and click on EA SPORTS.
- Re-purchase a 12-month Subscription.
- Sign in to your PlayStation®Network account.
- Go to PlayStation®Store and search for EA SPORTS Season Ticket.
- Select and purchase EA SPORTS Season Ticket for $19.99.
2K Sports has released this video from their recent 2K Uncensored event, hosted by Ernie Johnson.
In case you missed it, Ernie and Shaq will be featured in the game, but we don't know the exact details yet.
GamesHQMedia has posted another FIFA 15 gameplay video, this one features Liverpool vs. Manchester City at Anfield. One of the Producers also talks quite a bit over the game with even more details.
For those of you that have an early copy of Madden NFL 15, or downloaded the trial version from EA Access, did you lead Cam Newton and the Panthers to a victory in the opening sequence?
What did you think of it? Did you enjoy it? Try to skip it, hate it? Just curious.