The mystery continues to deepen, with a game with more hype than details -- literally.
The leagues you aren't playing in but probably should be...
A few ways to keep this year's game fresh as we enter the offseason.
Some tips to improve the online versus play in NHL 16.
So far this week we've taken a look at scoring chances and the jostling mechanic in FIFA 15. Today we'll be chatting about standing tackles.
And in case the title wasn't obvious enough, "bring the violence" would be my tagline for standing tackles in FIFA 15. It's a mechanic that tends to reward the ultra physical, and we'll take a look at why that is in GIF and video form after the jump.
Read More - FIFA 15: The Violence of Standing Tackles
- Trials Fusion Update #6 Coming Soon, Details Revealed
- EA Sports Announces the Top 5 Most Used Teams in Madden NFL 15
- FIFA 15 Companion App Updated, Transfer Market Remains Inaccessible
- Nike Zoom Run The One Available in NBA 2K15
- NBA 2K15 Roster Update Details (2-24-15)
- NBA Live 15 Arrives in The Vault For EA Access Subscribers
- EA Sports UFC Mobile Announced, Coming Soon For Free on iOS and Android Devices
- Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious Scheduled to Launch For Free on March 27th
- OlliOlli2 Release Date Set For March 3, Launch Trailer Shows More Details
- NBA 2K15 Roster Update Details (2-25-15)
- Driveclub Downforce Expansion Pack, Midnight Tour Pack & Livery Packs Available Now
- Gran Turismo 6 Update 1.16 Available Now, Details Included
- NBA 2K15 Roster Update Details (2-26-15)
- NBA Live 15 Roster Update Adds the Phoenix Rising Alternate Uniforms For the Suns
- Brand New MyPARK Revealed For Old Town Flyers
- MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Franchise Improvements, Inside the Radio Show & More
- Brand New MyPARK Available Now For Old Town Flyers, More Screenshots
- EA Sports UFC Updates Ranked Points & Leaderboard System
- MLB Manager 2015 Announced for iOS and Android
- Franchise Hockey Manager 2 Features Detailed
- The Golf Club Will Feature Five Seasons
- Project CARS Achievement & Trophy List Revealed, Some of Them Are Fantastic
- The Golf Club Harvest Theme Preview
Featured Articles and Media
- NBA 2K15: Power Rankings Post-Trade Deadline
- Madden 15: Four Ways To Keep it Fresh
- FIFA 15: The Road Less Traveled
- The Top Sports Video Games of All Time (Video/Part One)
- Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps
- RIDE Trailer - Milano Track
- MLB 15 The Show: How The Offseason Is Shaping This Year's Game
- FIFA 15: Analyzing Scoring Opportunities
- FIFA 15: Jostling, Jockeying, And You
- Making Contraction a Reality in NBA 2K15
- More Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious Screenshots
- The Man Who Programmed NHL 94 Knew Nothing About Hockey
- Press Row Podcast - Sports Game Power Rankings
- MLB 15 The Show: Franchise Mode Stream Full Recap/Notes
This week's MLB 15: The Show livestream was a long one, clocking in at 1 hour, 45 minutes, so if you don't want to sit through the whole thing, here are all of the highlights from Thursday night's Twitch show:
- You will be able to use licensed equipment if you import your Road To The Show player from MLB 14.
- It only took four seconds to load an MLB 14 save into MLB 15.
- Save files from the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions of MLB 14 must be uploaded to Sony's cloud, and from there, they can be downloaded into your PlayStation 4 copy of MLB 15: The Show.
- All of MLB 15's new facial scans and skin tones will be automatically applied to imported MLB 14 roster files. Players' attribute ratings, though, will remain the same as they were on your old file.
- All teams' farm systems are randomly generated whenever you start your Franchise.
- You can still edit any player's attributes whenever you want from inside Franchise/Season mode.
- Any player's contract can be edited, but you must make your changes before you begin a Franchise or Season. You cannot edit contracts once a Franchise/Season is in progress. You are able to adjust contract length and contract value.
- You can no longer cheat the system and lock-up all of your young talents to cheap, long-term contracts. Young players will be expecting a significant pay raise in their prime years, if you choose to sign them to a long-term deal.
- All draft picks and minor leaguers can only be signed to one-year deals.
- You cannot extend a player's contract during the season. You must wait until the off-season to start negotiating.
- Your team's owner will now give you two goals that you must complete if you want to keep your job. The first goal is easier, and it will only focus on that particular season (for example, finishing over .500, or winning your division). The second goal is tougher, and it must be accomplished before your three-year contract expires (for instance, winning a Divisional Series, or capturing a World Series championship). Your owner's expectations will be based on the team's budget and roster talent.
- If you're importing a Franchise save file from MLB 14, then you'll begin in the first year of your three-year contract, regardless of where you're at on the 20XX calendar.
- Your GM Rating will always start at an average "C," and it can either move up or down, depending on your team's performance, and whether or not you achieve your owner's goals.
- If you perform well with a low-budget team, then a big-budget team might offer you a job at the end of the season.
- The contract system can be turned off entirely, if you prefer, which allows you to stay with your selected club for the entire length of the Franchise, regardless of your team's performance.
- Whenever you put a player on the trading block, a new "trade value" bar will show you how much each team in the league covets your player. Teams looking to make a playoff push will be more interested in read-to-play veterans, while rebuilding franchises will be looking to acquire promising young prospects.
- A new "suggest trades" button will make it easier to find offers that the game is likely to accept.
- The trade logic has been tweaked so that there are more straight-up, one-for-one trades and less lopsided, multi-player trades.
- Trades remain limited to just two teams per transaction. Three-team and four-team trades are something that Sony San Diego is considering adding for future editions of The Show.
- Simulating games on the calender is now significantly faster.
- You will see more performance-based player progression this year, but the system is still predominantly governed by a player's age and his potential rating. The potential rating can change slightly over time based on your on-field performance.
- The age point where players start to naturally regress has been pushed back for MLB 15, and you can even stave off regression for a bit by performing at a high level in old age.
- Teams' budgets will grow/shrink over the years based on each club's performance, but certain franchises that have a long history of being big spenders (like the Yankees) will continue to receive large budgets, even if they perennially underperform.
- Your team can accept performance-based sponsorships to increase its budget. The sponsors' logos will only show-up on the score tickers and in the instant replay banners.
- You can bring any of the retired legends into Franchise mode, if you want.
- 10 minor league stadiums have been added on PlayStation 4. These fictional, unlicensed stadiums previously existed on PlayStation 3, but they now look much prettier on Sony's latest console.
- The PlayStation 4 is the only system that will have the radio show this year, due to the huge amount of audio data it requires. There was not enough space to include it on the PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita.
- Radio host Justin Allegri broadcasts minor league baseball and college football/basketball in real life.
- Allegri mostly recaps box scores and stats, but he will also talk about any recent injuries, team transactions, career milestones, or impressive single-game accomplishments.
- The radio show will keep playing while you move through the Franchise menus.
- It will work in Road to the Show and Franchise, but if you listen to the radio show in RTTS, it will only talk about MLB events, and it won't mention anything that's happening in the minors.
- Your created character can be mentioned on the radio show, but the news won't be slanted to make him the primary focus; the show just treats him like any other athlete.
- Players without a recorded audio name are referred to by their jersey number, position, and team name.
- You can now select a specific month and time of day for exhibition games. These settings will affect the in-game lighting.
- If you start a game at night, and it goes deep into extra innings, you will eventually see the sun rising in the A.M.
- Users will have more control over their fielders this year, as they won't be locked into catch animations until much later in the ball's descent.
- Starting pitchers' performance will begin to plummet at 20 percent stamina; relief pitchers start struggling at 40 percent stamina.
Several of us from the Press Row Podcast recently collaborated for The Sporting News to create a Sports Game Power Rankings list. In the 123rd episode of Press Row, host Rich Grisham is joined by PastaPadre’s Bryan Wiedey and Operation Sports’ Chris Sanner to discuss the list – why it was organized the way it was, reasons for the selections, and various ways that games can move up or down as we get nearer to the start of the 2015 sports video game season next month.
Here is a link to the Sporting News article.
Joining us this week:
- Bryan Wiedey, PastaPadre (@pastapadre)
- Chris Sanner, Operation Sports (@ChrisSnr)
- And your host, Richard Grisham, GamesRadar/OXM/@GAMER (@richgrisham)
1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at PressRowPodcast@gmail.com
3) Respond to this post
Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!
Enjoy the show!
Run Time: 1 Hour, 28 Minutes
If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.
“Do the developers even watch hockey?” is an insult that frustrated sports gamers often type on the Internet to express their dissatisfaction with the (lack of) authenticity in Electronic Arts' NHL video games.
The day-to-day realities of making sports video games, however, often require designers and producers to convey their gameplans to programmers who may not have much experience with the sport that their scripts are designed to simulate. This remains the case today, to a large extent. But as the tools and languages that companies use to make video games are becoming more standardized -- and are being widely taught to thousands of college kids -- the number of sports gaming programmers with relevant, real-life sports experience is on the rise.
Read More - The Man Who Programmed NHL 94 Knew Nothing About Hockey
The Golf Club's third update is scheduled to arrive very soon. The Harvest theme will be included, marking the 8th theme released for the game. Themes are various environments the Greg Norman Course Designer uses when creating a course. They describe the terrain, flora, fauna, water, tees, fairways, rough, greens and the surrounding land.
Source - The Golf Club
Slightly Mad Studios has revealed the Xbox One Achievements, PlayStation Trophies, and Steam Achievements for Project CARS. All of them were inspired and named by the Project CARS community.
These particular achievements caught my eye:
- A Day In The Life (45G/Silver)
Completed a 24 hour race using only realtime progression (and why not stream it?!)
- Reversa Corsa (20G/Bronze)
Completed a Quick Race Weekend lap of Azure Circuit in reverse from cockpit view without collisions
For those of you looking for throwback jerseys at The Park in NBA 2K15, 2K Sports has multiple throwbacks for sale in the NBA Store for 5,000 VC each. These include throwbacks for Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Erving, Allen Iverson, David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins and Magic Johnson.
These limited edition jerseys will be on sale until midnight PST.
In a blog post on the HB Studios site, the progress on the upcoming season mode for The Golf Club was detailed a bit. Included was a note about some of the bugs the team ran into and also the five different season modes you can play through were detailed.
Local Club Season -- Compete against players from your local club. The events are staged at forgiving courses and the opposition strength is of a good local amateur standard. This is the place to cut your teeth.
Amateur Season -- You’ll be competing against the best amateurs around the world on a combination of challenging courses and others that are more forgiving. Winning here will open the gate to pitting yourself against the Pros.
Pro Am Season -- Challenge yourself against a combination of professional and top amateur players on courses of varying difficulty. A good season here will elevate you into the Pro Tour.
Pro Season -- The Pro Season is a tough tour against top quality opposition on tough courses. You’ll need to be at your best to break into the elite list of players.
Elite Season -- This is where the best of the best are playing. To be crowned the #1 golfer you will need to play at the highest standard consistently on tough courses. Have you got what you need to be #1?
What do you think about the different levels of season mode? Where will you end up playing?
In a recent post in the Franchise Hockey Manager 2 forums, developer Sebastian Palkowski detailed the new features coming to the Hockey management simulator set to release in late May:
Out of the Park Developments today announced that MLB Manager 2015 will feature an official MLB.com license when it's released for Android and iOS at the Google Play Store and Apple App Store, respectively, in March 2015. Like Out of the Park Baseball 16, which was unveiled on January 23, 2015, MLB Manager 2015 will feature the official Major League Baseball logo, as well as official logos for all 30 MLB teams and historical MLB logos. (OOTP 16 will also include over 150 Minor League Baseball team logos as well as MLB and MiLB player jerseys with team logos.)
Read More - MLB Manager 2015 Announced for iOS and Android
Check out the latest Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious screenshots. The game is scheduled to release on March 27th as a downloadable title for Xbox One and Xbox 360.
The stand-alone title will not require Forza Horizon 2 and will be available for free until April 10th to promote the release of Furious 7, after that date it will cost $10. Players who downloaded the game during the initial two-week window will be able to continue playing without any restrictions.
EA Sports UFC has just updated their ranked points and leaderboards system, resetting all FighterNet stats and leaderboard rankings. Under the new format, your rank and position on the leaderboard will reflect on your overall performance. Rank points will now be affected harshly when a player loses or disconnects from a fight.
SEASON RP = Rank Points earned and lost from the seasons meta (promotions, holds, relegations)
FIGHT RP = Rank Points earned and lost from individual fights (wins/losses and win/loss type)
 The seasons meta-game now has less influence on Rank Point gains and losses.
In broad strokes, the SEASON RP gap between the bottom and top-tier divisions is much smaller and the gap between high/low SEASON RP values overall is also much smaller. Basically, the meta isn't going to move the needle as much. This is the most obvious change.
 Fight results now have more influence on Rank Points.
Losing fights will now cause you to lose RP and this scales up if you get finished. In comparison, current RP logic does not deduct points for any loss type. This is the change that will separate good from great on the Leaderboards as there is a strong incentive to not only finish fights, but to avoid getting finished.
 Rank Point loss from disconnects has been significantly increased.
Self-explanatory, but disconnects will now result in a harsher Rank Point penalty.
 Leaderboards and FighterNet Profiles have been refreshed.
Again, self-explanatory, but the Leaderboards have been refreshed so that these tuning changes can be properly reflected in the competitive scene.
As announced yesterday, the new Old Town Flyers court is available now in MyPARK for NBA 2K15. We have just uploaded some screenshots from the aircraft carrier, check them out here.
If you are a member of the Sunset Beach Ballers or Rivet City Rough Riders, you will need a rep level of Pro 3 or higher to travel to the new park.
The MLB 15 The Show livestream on Twitch has begun, featuring Franchise improvements, Inside the Radio Show and year to year saves.
Click the spoiler button below to watch it here or click this link to view it on a new page. Once the steam has completed, we will update this post with a link to the archive for those of you that miss it.
UPDATE: Link and spoiler button updated with archive. (Starts at roughly the 1:23 mark)