A look at the multi-sport party game from Microsoft taking advantage of the Kinect 2.0.
If you are looking for a long term challenge in franchise mode, here are five clubs to consider.
Some impressions of the World Cup demo...
Operation Sports Content
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
07:06 PM - April 15, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
The official MLB 14 The Show roster update for April 14 was released yesterday. Click here to see all of the details.
Registered users can download the offline file here, others can download here.
12:38 PM - April 15, 2014. Posted by MMChrisS.
The EA SPORTS™ NHL® 14 Stanley Cup® Playoffs simulation predicts that the Boston Bruins will return to the Stanley Cup Final for the second straight year and prevail as Stanley Cup Champions after defeating the San Jose Sharks in six games. This will mark the first Stanley Cup win for veteran Jarome Iginla, whose last appearance in the Stanley Cup Final was a decade ago with the Calgary Flames. Tuukka Rask, finishing the Playoffs with an outstanding 1.56 GAA, .948 SV% and four shutouts, will win the Conn Smythe Trophy.
For more information on the NHL 14 Stanley Cup Playoffs simulation, visit the NHL 14 blog.
Other notable storylines include:
- In the first round, goalies Carey Price of the Montreal Canadiens and Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers will lead their teams to 4-0 game sweeps.
- In the second round, the Chicago Blackhawks’ dreams of a Stanley Cup Championship repeat will come to an end with a heartbreaking Game 7 loss to the young and talented Colorado Avalanche.
- In the Eastern Conference Final, the Bruins and Rangers will once again go head-to-head. The series will go seven games, where Patrice Bergeron will once again be clutch for the Bruins, scoring five minutes into OT.
A simulation is conducted by artificial intelligence or logic of the videogame that uses real-life data from each player. Results are extrapolated by the videogame when two teams match up based on player ratings, line combinations, and include variances such as injuries and hot streaks to give a realistic outcome of a game or series.
Who do you think wins the Stanley Cup this season?
11:43 AM - April 15, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil is in stores today for PS3 and 360. After you play a few matches, please post your impressions. Read the full press release below.
EA SPORTS 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP BRAZIL™ ON SHELVES TODAY IN NORTH AMERICA
Fans Can Now Experience All The Fun, Excitement, And Drama Of Football’s Greatest Event
Fans Can Now Experience All The Fun, Excitement, And Drama Of Football’s Greatest Event
Electronic Arts Inc. today unveiled their most immersive EA SPORTS™ tournament title ever, EA SPORTS™ 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, now available in stores throughout North America. Complete with 11 Game Modes, 21 new stadiums, 7,469 players, 203 National Teams sanctioned by FIFA®, and one hundred new football animations, EA SPORTS 2014 FIFA World Cup is now available for Xbox 360® games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.
Gameplay innovations and new features make EA SPORTS 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil authentic to the tournament experience. All new in-mode training session, adidas® micoach Training allows fans to improve player attributes as the tournament progresses by competing in 18 different drills that can enhance everything from pace to shooting. New Penalty Kicks and Set Piece Tactics change the way the game is played from dead ball situations. Penalty Kicks feel dramatic and rewarding with new save animations, shot tuning, and Goalkeeper Antics, while Set Piece Tactics put fans in control of the runs their teammates take by using the directional pad and choosing one of four preset plays. Other innovations to the franchise’s award-winning* gameplay includes improvements made to passing, dribbling, and player movement that were implemented to showcase the world class talent that will be on display at the 2014 FIFA World Cup™.
“This summer’s tournament in Brazil promises to be one of the most colorful and exciting FIFA World Cups we’ve ever seen,” said Mat Prior, Lead Producer, EA SPORTS 2014 FIFA World Cup. “The game we’ve created will give fans a chance to feel the excitement, drama, and flare of the tournament whether they choose to play offline against friends or online against people from all over the world.”
A new design feature Patriotic Presentation implements newly-rendered 3D crowds, cut scenes from celebrations all over the world, and hundreds of flags and banners to bring the sights and sounds of Brazil directly to fans’ homes. Commentary in nine languages, a new soundtrack with 34 tracks, and EA SPORTS Talk Radio** highlight a fully featured audio package to help shape the theme and narrative of the tournament. EA SPORTS Talk Radio, featuring Ian Darke and Andy Goldstein, or Roger Bennett and Michael Davies (Men in Blazers), is available in Road to the FIFA World Cup™ and Captain your Country, contains over 50 hours of recorded content to stay up to date on all the action.
EA SPORTS Football Club will make it easy for fans of the franchise to continue their experience by making members’ existing XP and Football Club Credits available to use in the catalogue of EA SPORTS 2014 FIFA World Cup. The EA SPORTS Football Club Catalogue will be stocked with new and exciting tournament content like Historic FIFA World Cup™ Kits, new celebrations, adidas® footballs, an EA SPORTS FIFA Classic XI team, an adidas® All-Star team, and many other items. For more information and to buy the game, fans can visit http://www.easports.com/2014-fifa-world-cup/buy.
11:08 AM - April 15, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
With the NBA playoffs just around the corner, Shady has chimed in with his latest NBA 2K14 montage featuring the 16 teams that will play for the championship.
Who do you have winning it all?
10:25 AM - April 15, 2014. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Chris Sanner
As of this writing, six of the eight playoff qualifying teams in the NBA's Eastern Conference would not even qualify for the playoffs in the Western Conference. The Phoenix Suns, the ninth ranked team in the Western Conference, would qualify in the East with ten wins to spare.
There have been numerous opinions thrown out on how to fix this seemingly annual occurrence, with everything from full blown realignment to nixing divisions to just taking the top 16 teams from the entire league into the playoffs.
Is it even a problem there is so much disparity between the conferences? Is this a self correcting problem with time?
Sound off with your ideas about how the NBA can increase competitiveness and the fun of the regular and post-season -- or that it should just stay as-is!
09:58 AM - April 15, 2014. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Glenn Wigmore
One game that's been on my radar for the last while (thanks to the folks at Giant Bomb and their dedicated community) is Windjammers. This retro future sports game from the Neo Geo arcade system has that intangible element that makes it a competitive gamer's dream, and the gameplay still holds up after all these years. In a time when local co-op games are back in style (and with competitive gaming still being a major force), there could never be a better time to bring back a retro classic like Windjammers.
Read More - Retro Rewind: Windjammers, and Why it Should Come Back
Monday, April 14, 2014
04:56 PM - April 14, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
The 2013 college football season has come to an end, as the Florida State Seminoles have been crowned National Champions, but there is still plenty of college football to discuss on Dual Threat! Operation Sports' Dual Threat is a college football podcast hosted by Matt Cahill, a.k.a. Drab T-Shirt, and Robert Bode, producers at 106.7 The Fan in DC, and they discuss everything college football related with an opinionated and fast-paced show!
In the 32nd episode of Dual Threat: Season 2, Drab and Bode discuss Bode's trip to Dallas for the Final Four, the positive trend of big times teams scheduling great non-conference match-ups and which match-ups need to happen, the latest on Johnny Manziel and Jadeveon Clowney's path to the draft, and more! Plus, Drab and Bode finally kick off the voting for their "Dual Threat Road Trip 2014" bracket. Listen and follow the show and guys on Twitter, @DualThreatCFB, @DrabTShirt and @Bode1067, to vote for which game they they will travel to for the 2014 season!
So give Dual Threat a listen! Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...at/id700583947) or Stitcher (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ast?refid=stpr), listen in the embedded player below or click here, and if you are in the DC area tune into CBS Sports Radio 1580-AM or listen on the stream here (http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/the-big-talker-1580/) every Sunday at 8am EST! Follow them here on Twitter (@DualThreatCFB), and be sure to listen in every week this season right here on OperationSports.com! Thanks for listening!
03:14 PM - April 14, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
If you don't want to watch the entire 2-hour MLB 14 The Show PS4 livestream IGN hosted this afternoon and simply want to watch them create a player in Road to the Show, well... here ya go.
03:02 PM - April 14, 2014. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Justin Mikels
Instant replay is great for several reasons, in theory. In practice, however, it hasn't quite measured up for Major League Baseball.
Did we expect anything less? Granted it's still early on and hiccups are bound to happen, but remember we are talking about a sport that went into this thing with cold feet. The MLB wants to look progressive while still holding on to their 'good ole days' routine. How else do you describe a footnote that disqualifies the "neighborhood" play as reviewable at second base?
So here we are. Not only have we had replay gaffes on the calls themselves, but more importantly the system has shown serious weaknesses. Seriously, how does the MLB explain not having the same camera angles that are available on television broadcasts? Where are they getting their video feeds from? Analog antenna signals?
Sound Off: Will the MLB's replay system continue to flounder or do you see this as typical growing pains for new technology?
Sports Headlines for April 14, 2014
- Not just disc golf -- extreme disc golf! [Vimeo]
- What's with all of these 49ers players and their off-the-field legal issues? [Video]
- Russell Westbrook is kind of like your ultra-competitive brother that never lets you get the last word. [YouTube]
- Bubba Watson doesn't always win majors, but when he does he makes sure it's The Masters.
- Michael Phelps has announced that he will un-retire and swim in the Rio Olympics.
01:01 PM - April 14, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
IGN is hosting a livestream of MLB 14 The Show (PS4 version) now.
Hunter Pence of the San Francisco Giants and Yasiel Puig of the Los Angeles Dodgers will battle it out, while Sony San Diego designer, Ramone Russell talks about the game and answers questions.
UPDATE: For those that missed out, here is the replay.
Here is a direct link to the Yasiel Puig vs. Hunter Pence gameplay.
12:28 PM - April 14, 2014. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Glenn Wigmore
While there is Skype, Xbox Fitness, signing in with your face, scanning QR codes or using your voice to navigate, there haven't been any (meaningful) game reasons to use your Kinect 2.0 on the Xbox One. Enter Kinect Sports Rivals, the first substantial foray into motion gaming on the new Xbox. The idea of the game is fairly simple, and it's akin to previous Kinect Sports titles or even Wii Sports Resort. In this entry, you compete in a series of six sports in an island setting, unlocking new chapters of the game's silly story as well as new gear for your character. When you want to take your skills against the world, you do so via the Rivals mode. All of this comes for a $60 asking price, which is too high, but if you can look past that and some other issues, you may have some fun here.
Read More - Kinect Sports Rivals Review (Xbox One)
10:07 AM - April 14, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
DarkSeas Games have released an alpha video clip from Road Redemption, a motorcycle combat game (very similar to Road Rash) that was successfully funded on KickStarter in May of last year.
The PC version will be available in August, but you can play the alpha version now, for $40. They have plans to release the game for Xbox 360 and Wii U later in the year.
Find out more at the official website.
- Take your gang on an epic journey across the United States
- Seamless, procedurally generated world, that's different every time you play
- Tons of weapons including swords, chains, cattle prods, grenades, shotguns, and many many more
- Earn money, new gear, and equipment to improve your character
- Battle enemy gangs, cops, and the military, all with state of the art AI
- Local splitscreen and online multiplayer play
09:16 AM - April 14, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Last month, Roll7 revealed they were working on PS3, PS4 and PC versions of OlliOlli. According to CVG, the team is looking at a July 22nd release date. Still no official word on cross-buy.
If you missed our PS Vita OlliOlli review, check it out right here.
08:45 AM - April 14, 2014. Posted by HustlinOwl. Written by Steve Noah
Check out the latest MLB 14 The Show video showing off the new fielding ball marker.
Here are some screenshot captures from the video.
Sunday, April 13, 2014
11:03 AM - April 13, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve NoahEvery Sunday, we will get you caught up on the sports gaming news you might have missed during the week.
- First Glimpse of NBA Live 15
- Trials Fusion Trailer - Competition Gameplay, Trials Frontier Available Now
- MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview (SI Extra Mustard)
- The Crew Launches in Autumn 2014, New Gameplay Trailer Released - A Car MMORPG?
- EA Sports UFC Screenshots - Roy Nelson, Glover Teixeira and Mark Munoz
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Trailer - Sights and Sounds
- IGN Hosting MLB 14 The Show PS4 Livestream on Monday, 2:00 PM EST
- 10 Things 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Does Better Than FIFA 14
- Driveclub Video - Graphical Improvements
- MLB 14 The Show Video Comparison Between the PS3 and PS4 Versions
- Forza Motorsport 5 Content Update Arrives Tomorrow, Free Long Beach Circuit
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 Available Now, Post Your Impressions - Gameplay Videos Included
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 Trailer
- MLB 14 The Show PS4 Gameplay Videos (IGN)
- Out of the Park Baseball 15 Available 4/18, iOOTP 2014 on 4/17
- EA Sports UFC Demo Confirmed
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 Gameplay Videos
- MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview and Interview with Ramone Russell (PSNation)
- MLB The Show Batting Stance - Pitching Motion App Coming Soon (iOS, Android)
- Gran Turismo 6 Update 1.06 Available Now, Details Included
- NHL 14 Dynamic Ratings Update - Kopitar, Nyquist, Vanek, Strome, Crosby & More
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 Hands-On Preview (Polygon, Sports on Earth)
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 Releases on April 9th - $19.99 For 360, PS3 - $4.99 For iOS
- MLB 14 The Show Online Gameplay Announcement
- MLB 14 The Show Video and Screenshots - The Stadiums (PS4)
- MLB 14 The Show Roster Update - Official April 7 Details
- EA Sports UFC Screenshots and Video - Bruce Lee Revealed, Game Ships June 17th
- Pre-Order EA Sports UFC and Get Bruce Lee, Release Date Set For June 17th
- EA Sports UFC Cover Art Revealed
Features & Blogs
- Sports Daily: Is It Right To Hate On Kentucky Basketball?
- MLB 14 The Show: Five Teams To Rebuild Today
- Sports Daily: Who Deserves the NBA MVP Edition
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Demo Impressions
- Kinect Sports Rivals Reviewer Impressions
- Press Row Podcast - PAX East Preview with Garnett Lee
- R.B.I. Baseball 14 First Impressions
- Sports Daily: Balls and Strikes Edition
- MLB 14 The Show: Hands-on Preview (PS4)
- Sports Daily: The Madness Is Over Edition
- MLB 14 The Show: Hands-On Preview Video w/New PS4 Footage
- Operation Sports - Dual Threat Podcast: Season 2 - Episode 31: Finals Week
- MLB 14 The Show Interview: Organist Bobby Cressey
- MXGP Review (PC)