Our initial impressions on the retail version of the game...
Sean confirms there will be no EASHL, OTP, GM Connected or Live the Life this year at launch in NHL 15 on XB1 or PS4.
A look at HB Studios console Golf title's debut...
A look at how gaming companies are failing gamers in their communications thus far.
I have spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of days playing the retail release of Madden NFL 15, which is set to release in a limited format to EA Access customers later today. To put it simply, this is probably the best Madden ever from a technical perspective and may be some of the most fun I’ve had with the franchise in years.
Here are my pros and cons after about ten full games:
• Defense is fun again — There are multiple mini games you can now effectively partake in on each play on defense. Beating the OL is a timing mini-game of sorts which requires you to jump the snap and then make an effectively timed and directionally smart move to get to the QB. You can tell when you are facing an elite OT, because he will feel like a brick wall on many/most plays.
• Quarterbacks feel different — I don’t have enough info to safely say the pass accuracy is fixed, but playing Peyton Manning feels like you are playing a more elite level QB versus, say a Matt Cassel. Defensively, I found that it was even more of a rush to get to the QB when he was better, because you knew he was going to make decisions faster.
• Good news, the tackle cone doesn’t suck — From my initial play-sessions with Madden, it appears the tackle cone is not a major in your face type of addition many feared. The new tackling system adds a risk/reward setup to what used to be a very boring aspect of the game.
• Defenders are smarter — Zone defenders are much smarter this year, with players reacting to the ball much faster resulting in much narrower throwing lanes. This is going to make a lot of people used to soft zones very angry initially.
• The New Connected Franchise Options Are Great — Setting up a weekly gameplan or repairing your team’s busted up confidence is such a great series of decisions to have to make each week. Alex Smith had a horrible game against the Broncos and his confidence sank, so I had to spend valuable preparation points to raise his confidence back up. These are the things you don’t see in the NFL, but things coaches have to do to ensure players are at the top of their game.
• Community Playcalling is surprisingly good — The playcalling feature which I thought was nothing more than a gimmick actually seems to be pretty good at both conveying information that you would find relevant in both how users and how you use it. It makes the whole experience feel more connected.
• Thank goodness for the new cameras — Seriously, the new cameras and how they've been implemented (fast switching) is something which should be universal in sports games. It's that good -- it doesn't hurt the camera angles themselves are quite good, including the new over the shoulder defensive angle you can switch to on defense. Major kudos EA.
• The graphics, audio, and in-game broadcast presentation have arrived — It has long been a dream to have Madden look and feel like the rest of the major sports games in our genre, it always lagged behind. This year, at least to me, I feel like the presentation and graphics are both up there with anything you can find on store shelves today. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely gotten to a point where it’s clearly quite good.
• The playcalling menus really need to quit defaulting to the community playcall screen — I swear the amount of manpower and hours I’m going to spend backing up one menu layer to get to my preferred playcalling screen is going to make me sad. Bonus points for the playcalling menus not having that weird lag where I literally miss my option a lot.
• QBs may still be too accurate out of the box — I need to run more tests, but I’m pretty sure QBs may be more accurate out of the box than realism would suggest is possible. The good news is, slider combinations are going to fix this largely.
• The game’s first boot takes too long to get to action you care about — We can do without this nonsense.
• The new kick meter is hit or miss — At first, I actually missed a couple of field goals, but now I seem to be automatic again. I need to test this out more.
Thus far, Madden NFL 15 is really shaping up great. I still have a lot to check out within the game before I end up posting my final review. However, my initial thoughts are pretty strongly in favor of this year’s Madden. This is still Madden football, just a better and more true to life version of it. It’s too early whether to say Madden belongs amongst the discussion with the traditional great games in our genre, but I would be lying if I said it wasn’t tempting to suggest its possible at this point.
Look for my full review in a day or two here on OS. Madden NFL 15 releases later today (noon) for EA Access users in a limited six-hour demo, and will be out next Tuesday in stores.
Early access to Madden NFL 15 arrives tomorrow at noon EST for EA Access subscribers, giving you six hours of gameplay.
The six hour timer starts while the game is running and pauses when you exit.
Check out the latest NBA Live 15 screenshot, featuring the AT&T Center, home of the San Antonio Spurs.
It appears EA Tiburon has laid off some employees from the Madden team, according to Inquisitr.
It wasn't long ago when some of the NCAA developers were impacted by the game being cancelled, while others were brought over to the Madden team.
These types of things typically happen at the end of the cycle. We have reached out to EA Sports for comment. We wish the best to those that were impacted.
Turn10 Studios continues to reveal Forza Horizon 2 cars, by uncovering 14 more. Check them out below.
- 1973 Ford Capri RS3100
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso
- 2012 Bowler EXR S
- 2011 Aston Martin V12 Zagato (Villa d’Este)
- 1993 McLaren F1
- 2010 Audi TT RS Coupé
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
- 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO
- 1992 Ford Escort RS Cosworth
- 2004 Honda Civic Type-R
- 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
- 2013 KTM X-Bow R
- 1992 Nissan Silvia CLUB K's
Read More - WWE 2K15: Full Hands-On Impressions
We are going live at 10:30 P.M. EST for a special Press Row Hangout to discuss today's NHL news and what it means for this year's game and talk about the larger implications of what it means for the future of the franchise.
Be sure to tune in by watching the video above!
We have just confirmed with 2K Sports, NBA 2K15 will have Ernie Johnson and Shaquille O'Neal. Unfortunately, it will not feature Inside the NBA.
You can watch this quick video clip of Ernie Johnson at 2K Uncensored, talking about what it was like to be on the NBA 2K15 motion capture set with Shaq. He also provides his best "Shaq impression".
No other details were revealed to us. So we don't know exactly how the duo will be utilized. We hope to hear more later this week.
Sean Ramjagsingh, producer of NHL 15, is stopping by OS this evening for an open chat with NHL fans. In the comments below, you can ask Sean anything and he will answer as many questions as possible on the heels of his interview he did with us today.
If you haven’t done so yet, we’ve covered many of the basics of today’s news in our interview, that there will be no EASHL, GM Connected, OTP, or Life the Life in NHL 15. So don’t be that guy who asks the question which we’ve already answered! However, anything is fair game, and Sean plans to stick around for awhile and answer your questions under the EASportsNHL username.
Keep in mind that we will be patrolling the thread, cleaning up duplicate or ill-tempered posts — keep the questions clean, constructive, and to the point. Please remember that we are enforcing a Zero Tolerance policy towards anything that isn't constructive to this discussion. Think before you reply. We want this to be a constructive and positive experience for all participants!
So with that, ask away!
It’s official: EASHL, GM Connected, OTP, and Live the Life will not be in NHL 15.
The modes which will be in the game, will include play now, Be A Pro, Be a GM, Online Vs, Hockey Ultimate Team, and NHL Moments Live. The plan, as of right now, is to deliver Online Team Play via a patch after launch.
We sat down with Producer Sean Ramjagsingh to discuss why those modes were not included and to talk about the modes which are in the game. The discussion also turns to how to the team deals with community reactions and plans for the future of the franchise, which admittedly are quite exciting. See for yourself after the jump!
Read More - No EASHL, GM Connected, OTP, or Live The Life in NHL 15 (Interview with Sean Ramjagsingh)
Check out the latest NBA Live 15 screenshot, featuring the United Center, home of the Chicago Bulls.
The TNT Inside the NBA studio crew could be featured in NBA 2K15, as noted by SLAMonline and YompaGaming.
Hints have led many to believe it was coming, Shaq kissing LD2K during a livestream and the more obvious 2K Uncensored today, hosted by Ernie Johnson, Jr.
Whatever the case might be, we do know Ernie is involved with NBA 2K15 somehow and possibly Shaq. Whether that leads to the entire crew to be announced has yet to be determined.
Could we see the whole crew? Halftime and post-game shows? Gone Fishing? What would you like to see?
Hopefully we hear more soon.
Much like the real game of golf, creating it’s digital counterpart can be difficult and frustrating, but extremely rewarding when you hit the sweet spot. Trying to emulate the tension of needing to knock a wedge close to the pin from 125 yards out in a video game is not easy, but that’s exactly what developer HB Studios is trying to do.
In a year in which video game golf fans thought they were going to be denied country club membership, a small Nova Scotian developer has jumped in to fill the void. Now the question is, have they drilled a 40-foot putt, or left just short of the cup?
Read More - The Golf Club Review (PC/XB1/PS4)
The Golf Club is available now on Xbox One and PC for $34.99. The PlayStation 4 version should be available soon.
For more details on the game, which includes tutorials, check out The Golf Club news page.
Play a few holes and post your impressions!
NextGenGamingBlog has posted a couple of PES 2015 gameplay videos. Check out Italy vs. Spain here and Brazil vs. Germany here.