With only a few weeks before Madden NFL 19 is released, many franchise players are already deciding which team they will choose for their CFM. As is the case every year, heavy roster turnover and a fresh crop of rookies has changed the look and make up of most teams in the NFL. With that change comes new and fun teams to try and overhaul for a run at a Super Bowl.
Here is a list of five teams that are an interesting and fun rebuild for franchise players. These teams are still a few pieces away so don’t expect to see perennial contenders like the Patriots or the defending Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles.
Note: Full ratings have not been released at this time so this is merely a projection.
- Oakland Raiders – Talent is present on both sides of the ball, but weird offseason moves by returning head coach Jon Gruden may have hurt the team overall.
- Indianapolis Colts – It’s Andrew Luck, 83 overall rookie guard Quentin Nelson, and a whole lot of nothing in Indy. This rebuild could take years.
- Seattle Seahawks – The Legion of Boom is gone and that offensive line is still in rough shape. Russell Wilson may not be enough here.
5. Cincinnati Bengals: Marvin Lewis has perpetually underachieved despite a roster full of talent on both sides of the ball. AJ Green is still a top-flight wide receiver and the backfield is full of young talent. John Ross should still be Madden royalty in terms of speed rating, and Geno Atkins and Vontaze Burfict will provide the defense with some playmakers. Andy Dalton isn’t the ideal quarterback to build around but drafting a replacement shouldn’t be too difficult. The talent has always been there for Cincy and they should be a good candidate for a quick turnaround. Overall, the Bengals could be rebuilt over the course of a single offseason.
- Strengths: WR, RB, DB
- Weaknesses: QB, OL
4. New York Giants: The age of Eli is at an end. The first thing to do is plan for the future and scout QBs in the draft or trade for a QB like Teddy Bridgewater. Odell Beckham Jr. will still be one of the top WRs in Madden and is only 25 years old, so re-signing him should be at the top of the priority list. Rookie RB Saquon Barkley is the highest rated in the rookie class for the skill positions and has a well rounded skill set for the running game. Nate Solder should help improve the Giants line play, and Landon Collins will anchor the defensive side of the ball. The Giants are another team that could be turned around in short order and compete for a championship in year two or three.
- Strengths: S, RB, WR
- Weaknesses: LB, QB, DL
3. San Francisco 49ers: All hail Jimmy G! Building around Garoppolo should be the first priority. The WRs in San Francisco are okay but could use an infusion of top talent. Likewise, Jerrick McKinnon is speedy but unproven in the backfield so being on the lookout for an upgrade wouldn’t hurt. On the defensive side of the ball, Richard Sherman should lock down the opposing team’s best receiver, while DeForest Buckner should cause fits up the middle. Reuben Foster is a prime candidate to be a great user LB to patrol the middle of the field, and will likely be the best defensive player on the roster long term. While Jimmy G has caused buzz around the league and should hopefully solve the 49ers franchise QB problem, the 49ers are at least two seasons away from really being a contender.
- Strengths: QB, DL, LB
- Weaknesses: WR, OL, TE, DB
2. Cleveland Browns: The Browns were an incredibly fun rebuild in Madden NFL 18 because of first-overall pick Myles Garrett, and two first-round draft picks for the 2018 draft. Those picks are now 81 overall QB Baker Mayfield and 80 overall CB Denzel Ward. The draft wasn’t the only source of talent for the Browns, however. Madden deity Jarvis Landry has made his way over from Miami, and alongside Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman give the Browns a really good crop of pass catchers. The backfield has talent as well with former 49er Carlos Hyde and rookie Nick Chubb. With veteran QB Tyrod Taylor on the Browns, there is plenty of trade capital to fill any holes on the offensive line or the defense, where Garrett remains the standout. While the REAL Browns are a few years away from contention, the Madden 19 Browns will be able to compete very quickly.
- Strengths: WR, RB, DL, LB, QB
- Weaknesses: OL, S
1. Baltimore Ravens: Let’s get one thing straight: Lamar Jackson is juiced. If for nothing else, rebuilding the Ravens around one of the best-rated rookies in Madden history should be a great time. 94 Throw Power with 91 Speed is Michael Vick-like and will quickly result in Joe Flacco becoming the most “elite” free agent in the league. C.J. Mosley is a good defensive piece, but make no mistake, the Ravens are an aging roster that will take a few seasons to build into a contender. Ronnie Stanley is a nice piece on the line and Michael Crabtree has come over from Oakland as a solid possession receiver. The way the roster stands much of the offense should be traded away or outright released to better fit Lamar Jackson’s skill set. Despite the overall lack of talent, the Baltimore Ravens currently stand as an early favorite to receive an overhaul for CFM in Madden NFL 19 and should provide a lot of fun on the field.
- Strengths: Lamar Jackson, C.J. Mosley
- Weaknesses: Just about everything else.
That’s my list for the top five teams to rebuild in Madden 19. Comment below and let us know yours.