When I start MyGM in NBA 2K17, one of the first things I do is look at my team roster. What are its weaknesses? Who are my best players? Who can I unload to try and improve my team?
One thing that is thoroughly enjoyable (for me at least) is taking my team and building a powerhouse based on youth and potential. The team might be average to begin with, but after a season or two — and some improvement in player ratings — my young studs usually grow into seasoned monsters.
I’ve taken the liberty of listing the top five young players at each position who have high potential and a high ceiling. You can target these players to help your team immediately, or after a few seasons of growth. The players are listed based on in-game overall; potential and basic info can be seen as well.
5. Aaron Gordon, Age 21 – Orlando Magic (75 Overall, A- Potential; $4.35M 1-Year Contract)
– Known for his highlight dunks, his game is coming along. Elite potential.
4. Julius Randle, Age 21 – Los Angeles Lakers (78 Overall, A- Potential; $3.27M 1-Year Contract)
– A rebounding monster who is strong for his age. He’s also a good shooter within 20 feet. Elite potential.
3. Jabari Parker, Age 21 – Milwaukee Bucks (83 Overall, B+ Potential; $5.37M 1-Year Contract)
– Strong like an ox, and can shoot inside and out.
2. Kristaps Porzingis, Age 21 – New York Knicks (85 Overall, A+ Potential; $4.32M 1-Year Contract)
– When he was drafted fourth overall in 2015, most people had to look him up to find out who he was. After a very good rookie campaign, EVERYBODY knows his name. A silky smooth shooter that gets on the boards, his inside-out game and elite potential at such a young age make Kristaps a player to snatch from the Knicks.
1. Anthony Davis, Age 23 – New Orleans Pelicans (94 Overall, A+ Potential; $98.42M 4-Year Contract)
– If you can figure out a way to wheel and deal for this man-child, you’ll be set at the power forward (or even center) position for years to come. A truly elite overall player.