A new update has arrived for Early Access Skater XL users, adding transition grinds that give players a new way to hit the coping, a mini-ramp test map, and new board customizations to personalize decks, trucks, wheels, and grip tape.
Transition grinds (roll-in / roll-out)
We want Skater XL to give people access to every style of skateboarding including transition and ramp skating. This update includes the ability to roll in and out of grinds on transitions and ramp coping using similar controls to grinds/slides on other objects.
- Moving either or both thumbsticks in any direction directly prior to hitting coping will initiate a roll-in coping grind.
- Position your board as you get on coping by using the sticks to tweak and angle your board similar to other states (when in air, when grinding etc).
- To exit the grind/slide click the thumbstick on the side you want to pop out/roll in on. If you wish to roll out the opposite side, click the thumbstick on that side to roll out
Mini Ramp Test Map
In order to properly give you the ability to test the new transition features, we have built a special warehouse test environment that houses a new miniramp for you to shred. While not a fully fleshed out map, it is super fun and will give you the chance to hone your ramp skills in preparation for the 1.0 update. You can access the map from the ‘Maps’ section in the main menu.
We know that one of the best things about skateboarding is customizing your setup and picking each component. To that point, we have added the ability to customize your deck, trucks, wheels, and griptape with a few options for each to start with. We have a ton more (see Brands/Customization trailer) coming down the pipe, but this is just a starting point to test and get you familiar with the mechanism.
- Access this feature in the main menu and select ‘Gear’.
- Press A/X to make your gear selection in each category
- The RB/LB buttons can be used to advance to the next component category in the menu
Bumping out of grinds
Another highly requested feature added in this update is the ability to exit grinds early by ‘bumping out’. This allows you to pop out of grinds with a small nudge rather than an exaggerated pop out.
- To exit a grind/slide early, click either thumbstick to pop out on the corresponding side. The left stick press makes you bump out to the left, right stick press makes you bump out to the right in this mode.
That’s just some of the additions and fixes in the latest update. To find out more, head over to the official Steam page.
Skater XL officially launches on July 7, digitally for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC, and at brick and mortar retailers for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
If you missed our Skater XL preview, make sure to read it here.