EA revealed their official gameplay trailer for EA Sports PGA Tour featuring former professional golfer and current commentator Iona Stephen. The trailer shows some of the various shot types, classic mechanics, putting, ball behavior and more. Make sure to read our featured article from this morning for additional details.
The team also released their EA Sports PGA Tour gameplay blog highlighting the various ways you can attack a hole with Pure Strike.
Pure Strike gives you all the tools you need to realistically attack every hole on every course the same way the pros do. Featuring ShotLink powered by CDW and data from TrackMan, Pure Strike helps ensure that each professional golfer’s unique swing and attributes will be accurately reflected in the game. Pure Strike incorporates the three parts of every golf shot: fluid swing mechanics that are highly accurate to a player’s backswing length and speed of follow through, innovative ball behavior allowing every bounce and roll to behave more accurately across a variety of terrain and course conditions, and lifelike course dynamics that play true to their real life course counterparts.
- World Famous Courses – The tee is yours at 30 courses, including some of the world’s most prominent venues such as Augusta National Golf Club, Pebble Beach Golf Links, Southern Hills Country Club, The Old Course at St Andrews Links, The Country Club, Kiawah Island Golf Resort’s Ocean Course, Torrey Pines, Evian Resort Golf Club in Évian-les-Bains, France, East Lake Golf Club, TPC Southwind, The Los Angeles Country Club, Wilmington Country Club and more. EA SPORTS PGA TOUR will also feature the past major host courses in 2021 and 2022 as well as the new 2023 majors courses releasing post-launch.
- Your Career, Your Way – EA SPORTS PGA TOUR provides players with an RPG-like progression system on the Road to the Masters. As their golf game improves, the closer they’ll be to becoming a major champion. Players will be able to create and customize a golfer, develop their skills and master each course to attack every hole like a pro. With 20 shot types available as players progress in the game, they can enhance their skill set for driving, approach, short game, or putting, depending on their style. Players will be able to compete to become a major champion, and take on the PGA TOUR’s best events in the season-long race for the FedExCup, as well as conquer the top Amateur Championships including the Augusta National Women’s Amateur, the U.S. Amateur, and other elite international amateur events.
- THE PLAYERS Championship and FedExCup Playoffs – The PLAYERS Championship and all three events of the FedExCup Playoffs will be in the game, and players can earn in-game FedExCup points in Career Mode for the opportunity to compete in the FedExCup Playoffs. As part of the Career mode, top golfers at the end of the year will be given the opportunity to win the FedExCup.
- Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) and The Amundi Evian Championship – In partnership with the LPGA, EA SPORTS PGA TOURallows fans to compete at The Amundi Evian Championship, one of the LPGA Tour’s five major championships, and have the opportunity to play as several female athletes as well as create a female golfer in the overhauled Create-A-Player system. Players will also be able to participate in a series of LPGA-themed challenges and other events. Iona Stephen will be joining the EA commentary team as the first female on-course commentator in-game, bringing her experienced insights from both playing professionally and working in golf broadcasting.
- True-to-Life Course Visuals – EA SPORTS PGA TOUR will also present the most realistic visuals in any golf game utilizing EA’s Frostbite™ engine. Using state-of-the-art equipment, including drone technology, helicopters and airplanes equipped with custom LiDAR scanners, and more to develop terrain maps, EA SPORTS PGA TOUR depicts courses exactly as they appear in real life. The photogrammetry and scanners were also applied to create precise renderings of clubhouses, iconic vegetation, bridges, tee markers, rock formations, and other on-course elements offering players life-like visual experiences of their favorite courses.
- ShotLink® – Utilizing ShotLink® powered by CDW, the PGA TOUR’s proprietary real-time scoring system since 2001, golfers will authentically be replicated with accurate player ratings, skills and magnified true-to-life in-game events.
- TrackMan Data – Insights implemented from TrackMan, a world leader in 3D ball flight measurement and swing analysis, is a critical component to authentic gameplay utilizing a myriad of stats including club tuning, flight trajectory, landing position and much more.
Last but not least the team also provided another blog providing additional details on the 20 available shot types.
Each shot type has its own unique profile producing shots with varying ball speeds, launch angles, spin rates, and shot dispersion that you would expect in real life. Each shot type profile is unique per club and per class of golfer trajectory (low, medium, and high), which result in over 1300 unique profiles available in EA SPORTS PGA TOUR.
In previous EA golf games, your options were limited; typically only requiring you to select the appropriate club. Now, with shot types, every time you step to the ball you’ll choose your shot type and then select your club. This unlocks a new layer of depth and strategy, allowing you to get one step closer to the pre-shot thought process and routine of a pro golfer.
Among other conditions that change with each shot type, each shot comes with a certain amount of dispersion, impacting the accuracy of a shot which varies based on each golfer’s skill with the specific shot type.
EA Sports PGA Tour will release for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC on March 24.