High Horse Entertainment is rolling out dedicated servers for Disc Jam, with plans to feature cross-play for PC and PlayStation 4 fans very soon, depending upon passing Quality Assurance testing. Below are some of the immediate benefits users will see in-game.
- Drastically improved matchmaking
- This is especially true for Doubles where connection difficulties are compounded by each joining player (and the inevitable router/NAT/firewall troubles that come with them)
- More reliable connections across the board
- No more bad hosts piggybacking on their neighborhood McDonald’s WiFi!
- Someone’s bad Internet is their own problem and will not affect your inputs to the game host
- Less volatility in latency (lower average ping)
- Better handling of opponent disconnects
- Quitters are guaranteed the loss.
- You can now simultaneously queue for singles and doubles, and in multiple regions.
- Skill-based matchmaking will now relax over time, eventually considering players of all skill levels to ensure you get into a match.
- This should result in lower average queue times for everyone!
For a list of items planned in future updates, check the official post.