Home
Preview
Madden NFL 13 Preview

When I first heard that the franchise and superstar modes were taken out of Madden NFL 13, I was livid. Why on Earth would you destroy the offline gamer’s dream? Not cool EA, not cool.

But after getting my hands on the game, I know exactly why they “ditched” the modes. Connected Careers is basically the three modes combined into one, creating what seems to be the most immersive football gaming experience to date. You may not understand it – I didn’t at first – but in time you will.

Connected Careers can be done as a player or as a coach. If you choose player, welcome to Superstar mode; choose coach, welcome to offline franchise. You can choose to create your own guy, choose an exisiting coach or select to be a Hall of Fame player/coach – e.g., John Madden and Jerry Rice – in their rookie season. Once you’ve chosen that option, the main screen will pop up in front of you with news from the league and fake Twitter feeds of your favorite analysts like Skip Bayless and Trey Wingo. The news, for example, does a great job of getting the player immersed in the league. It even takes into account what’s actually happening since I saw one slide talking about Drew Brees’ contract talks being stalled.

Also, there is now actual incentive to practice. By practicing, you earn experience points, which in turn grant your player or coach the option to get better. For a player you can increase attributes and for a coach you can increase your persuasive skills to have key free agents sign with your team. You can also practice in specific situations such as the 2-minute drill or even a three-touchdown deficit in the third quarter. And practice isn’t the only way to gain points: each player/coach has a set of goals per game and season that they need to accomplish. You accomplish them, you get points. If you underperform, you get fired/released. Which leads me to the next point.

If you get fired/released, you are not guaranteed a roster spot or a coaching job from another team. You can actually be unwanted by all 32 NFL teams. But if this does happen to you, you don’t have to give up. You can create a new coach and go to a new team in the same “franchise.” If you coached the Seahawks for seven years and your new guy gets hired by St. Louis, then you’ll enjoy pounding on the same Seattle team you controlled for so long. It really helps you stay connected in your very own world of the NFL.

Scouting has also improved a lot. Now you can see actual player ratings before the draft, and there are plenty of busts and gems. For example, I scouted a cornerback that was all over the news and Twitter and ranked No. 4 overall on the big board and he turned out to be garbage. His rating was 71; his speed was 75; his man and zone coverage were both in the 60s. He had bust written all over him. But without scouting him, anyone would have taken him in a heartbeat. Love it.

One of my personal favorite features added into the game is the fact that retired players and coaches can come out of retirement, including ones who are currently retired and not even in Madden NFL 12. I never saw any of this happen – it’s rare – but someone did see Kurt Warner come back. And let’s be honest, if this feature is in the game, so is Brett Favre.

When it comes down to it, Connected Careers is the heart and soul of this football game. The integration and immersion are very advanced to what we have ever seen in a sports game. If the replayability holds up the way the Madden team says, and the way I honestly feel, then we're all in for a long overdue football gaming experience.


Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 pgiallourakis @ 06/07/12 12:42 PM
can you still play multiple team franchises or careers or whatever they are called?
 
# 2 ccoaxum @ 06/07/12 12:51 PM
sounds nice but lets say i created player and played one season but then i want to be the coach for this same player that i had created so that i can control whole team as a franchise and not just superstar mode style any more, would i be able to stop and grab that current coach or new coach for that team and still have my created person the team?
 
# 3 scala42 @ 06/07/12 12:52 PM
i'm really interested to see that entire sentence in that screen shot with the words "virgins" and "tebow" on the bottom ticker
 
# 4 sbuxer @ 06/07/12 12:55 PM
"Now you can see actual player ratings before the draft... His rating was 71; his speed was 75; his man and zone coverage were both in the 60s. He had bust written all over him. But without scouting him, anyone would have taken him in a heartbeat."

Maybe I'm just skeptical of Madden's "ideas versus execution", but this worries me. So instead of drafting the random bust (or gem) I can sniff them all out prior to the draft? There was some of this last season with the scouting system, but your ability to scout was so limited that half your picks were blind. I kind of liked it that way.
 
# 5 chen_sc @ 06/07/12 12:57 PM
what about connected careers presentation? any weekly wrap up or around the league scores during games?
 
# 6 TreyIM2 @ 06/07/12 01:01 PM
Interesting. EA really threw a bunch of good things in, this yr. Extremely excited about 13. Madden is truly looking up. Gimme demo!!
 
# 7 jyoung @ 06/07/12 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiallourakis
can you still play multiple team franchises or careers or whatever they are called?
Offline, connected careers is limited to one team per console.

The only way to have more than one team be user controlled is to take the career online and invite friends to join.
 
# 8 Retropyro @ 06/07/12 01:02 PM
I'm a little unclear about this still and concerned. If I create a coach or player, I want to use them for a career.

If my players contract runs out, I want to go through being a UFA as that player and try to get signed. Same with the coach if he is fired or has his contract end.
 
# 9 jfsolo @ 06/07/12 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
sounds nice but lets say i created player and played one season but then i want to be the coach for this same player that i had created so that i can control whole team as a franchise and not just superstar mode style any more, would i be able to stop and grab that current coach or new coach for that team and still have my created person the team?
No, your created guy would be removed from the league. Maybe it's possible to create a guy and put him on a team before you start a career, and then choose to be the coach of that team with him on it. That's if you can create players who sole purpose isn't for you to control them.
 
# 10 vln13 @ 06/07/12 01:13 PM
I love the bottom of the screenshot, something about Jets players telling Tebow to hookup cause he's a virgin LMAO The writing in this story mode looks really clever! I would also love to know if, during games, Jim Nantz will cut away and talk about the standings/stats or whatever.
 
# 11 seasprite @ 06/07/12 01:20 PM
Really excited about this CCM. If it works as advertised, it sounds like it will be great. Definitely more than I thought it would be as a user who has wanted a decent online franchise without the help of a website that just didnt work too well.
 
# 12 PioneerRaptor @ 06/07/12 01:23 PM
The only thing I don't like is that it sounds like you can't create multiple careers. I see no reason it shouldn't allow us to have multiple save files.

I usually like to have a Franchise with my Eagles and a franchise with a rebuilding team, but it doesn't sound as if I can do that this year.
 
# 13 MarcDub @ 06/07/12 01:25 PM
It sucks that you can't edit players numbers/accesories this year in this CC mode.. I like to customize my teams accesories throughout the season..
 
# 14 jfsolo @ 06/07/12 01:25 PM
I feel very fortunate, the design of this mode lines up with my playstyle quite nicely.
 
# 15 PacMan3000 @ 06/07/12 01:30 PM
I can't believe after all the press about CCM, I still have questions, lol. But here I go...

1) You can progress players with points, which I get. But does that mean that natural, I guess "in game" progression, is gone? If my QB has a great season, will the game naturally progress him, or will he only progress if I choose the areas where he gets better? If it's the latter, while it sounds cool, it sort of feels like cheating--like I'm playing NFL God and selecting how much to improve my player.

2) This is something only MMChris may know but...that shot of RGIII...I wonder if that's a placeholder image that just changes into different QB's depending on what's happening in the league, or if that's a variety of different RGIII in-game images that the game selects when it gives you news about the league. I think this question is confusing to articulate, but hopefully it makes some sense. I guess to be simpler, I'm just asking if these images we see--sort of like the Madden newspapers back in the day--will simply be recycled over and over again?

3) So in CCM, you can get fired, create a new coach, and go to a new team within the same mode. But what if I get fired by my team, and I want to be "reincarnated" as the brand new coach of the same team I was playing with. Can that be done, or if you're fired, there's no way to rejoin your old team in any way?
 
# 16 Joey Sauce @ 06/07/12 01:36 PM
What if I am the coach of the 49ers in an online franchise and i get fired. Ut still want to be the 49ers?
Can i just become whoever the new coach is? This takes away from the GM aspect of hiring/ firing staff. Dumb
 
# 17 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/07/12 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I can't believe after all the press about CCM, I still have questions, lol. But here I go...

1) You can progress players with points, which I get. But does that mean that natural, I guess "in game" progression, is gone? If my QB has a great season, will the game naturally progress him, or will he only progress if I choose the areas where he gets better? If it's the latter, while it sounds cool, it sort of feels like cheating--like I'm playing NFL God and selecting how much to improve my player.

2) This is something only MMChris may know but...that shot of RGIII...I wonder if that's a placeholder image that just changes into different QB's depending on what's happening in the league, or if that's a variety of different RGIII in-game images that the game selects when it gives you news about the league. I think this question is confusing to articulate, but hopefully it makes some sense. I guess to be simpler, I'm just asking if these images we see--sort of like the Madden newspapers back in the day--will simply be recycled over and over again?

3) So in CCM, you can get fired, create a new coach, and go to a new team within the same mode. But what if I get fired by my team, and I want to be "reincarnated" as the brand new coach of the same team I was playing with. Can that be done, or if you're fired, there's no way to rejoin your old team in any way?
1) Yes progression of old IS GONE. Honestly, I say thank you EA. I hated the BS progression that would occur. You decide who and where to progress. Now understand this before you think it sounds like cheating (Like I did), you only get SO much XP. And from the Josh Looman connected career video you can see that for a RB, it was like 45,000 to upgrade speed at 1 POINT.And trust me, from the goals it showed, you will not get XP like that very often and if you wanna upgrade more than one player, you got to distribute the XP or you are gonna be unbalanced. Another awesome thing is that as players get older, the prices of things (Such as speed) go up so it is almost impossible to make a 30+ year old gain speed (which is realistic to say the very least). You are not gonna be able to give everyone 99 stats on things that the position is good for, such as speed for RB, QB, WR, etc. Now a O line man, his speed will be A LOT cheaper than a RB. I think this will let players run their team how THEY want and not rely on random calculations from a CPU. Also keep in mind that there are different times you can choose to progress, weekly, every four weeks, and end of the year. You can also set the CPU to progress for you but that is no fun, now is it? This gives you a feeling of accomplishment for great play. Also already said that if it says to get 2,000 yards rushing for a season to get lets say 25,000 XP(random number, idk what you'd really get) and a user "Pads his stats" and gets 6,000 yards, well they only get 25,000 xp not anymore so stat padding is pointless. Hope that answers that

2) No idea.. lol

3) Yes if you are fired, Looman said you can recreate a coach, or join as a Legend coach, and take over the team you were fired from.
 
# 18 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/07/12 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyi05
What if I am the coach of the 49ers in an online franchise and i get fired. Ut still want to be the 49ers?
Can i just become whoever the new coach is? This takes away from the GM aspect of hiring/ firing staff. Dumb
No one said you HAD to mate.
 
# 19 PacMan3000 @ 06/07/12 01:48 PM
Thanks Rbower. I'm at work, so I can't watch videos on the mode.

So...does every single player have goals they need to meet? Or is it just a handful of team goals?

Because I'm trying to understand...let's say a goal is to have a RB get 2,000 yards, and he does--do I get XP points for *him* specifically to only progress *him*, or am I gaining XP points that sort of go into a big team pot, and I can then distribute them amongst anyone on the team?
 
# 20 trey2k198003 @ 06/07/12 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDub
It sucks that you can't edit players numbers/accesories this year in this CC mode.. I like to customize my teams accesories throughout the season..

where did you read that you cannot edit youre teams numbers and etc?
 

« Previous1234567891213Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.