Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post



Dynamic difficulty is one of the strongest suits of MLB The Show 17, especially for newer gamers. In this video, Mike Lowe takes some time to break down what Dynamic Difficulty is, and more pressing for this video, what a Dynamic Difficulty 2.0 could look like into next season.

Be sure to subscribe to Mike on YouTube. Also if you can't see the video above, click to see it here.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out OS on YouTube as well, subscribe here.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 34 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Caulfield @ 05/09/17 05:30 PM
I absolutely love dynamic difficulty. I keep the sensitivity at 10 and that gives me plenty of ebbs and flows. sometimes I'm the bug, sometimes I'm the windshield. I probably wont ever be the '98 Yankees on dynamic but I wont be the '62 Mets either. I go into the season knowing maybe I'll win 70 or maybe I'll win 90. heck I could even win 90 and miss the post-season.
Aint baseball grand?
 
# 2 tessl @ 05/09/17 06:21 PM
Since difficulty has no impact on manage mode because it is cpu vs cpu I'm guessing dynamic difficulty also has no impact, is that correct?
 
# 3 Retropyro @ 05/09/17 09:18 PM
Really wish all the difficulty levels found in Dynamic Difficulty could be selected outside of it.
 
# 4 bkrich83 @ 05/09/17 09:22 PM
I'd like to be able to choose a starting point for what difficulty I start at.
 
# 5 Dfiant1 @ 05/09/17 11:03 PM
Great video. Well thought out and many outstanding points. I really hope the makers of MLB the show look at this use it to improve next years game.

My 2 cents are that the user should have the ability to add their input as well. For instance, I love to hit a lot of HR but don't want too high of an average. If there was a way to input that and have dynamic difficulty 2.0 adjust for that as well as have realistic results like in your video would be the best of both worlds imho.
 
# 6 Trackball @ 05/10/17 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
Really wish all the difficulty levels found in Dynamic Difficulty could be selected outside of it.
Yeah, especially since I seem to hover at All-Star+.

There IS an easy workaround--once you get to your desired in-between difficulty, set the corresponding slider to zero--but it needs to be made easier, as you said.
 
# 7 SportsGameGod @ 05/10/17 05:58 AM
I go up to All Star and back down to Rookie with Dynamic all the time. I go on big runs of success then big failures so i figure i should be on Vet but i move down and up so often that it seems like no mode is is right.
 
# 8 rjackson @ 05/10/17 08:37 AM
I agree, I like being at All Star + and have to take an all star team against a AA team with the dynamic slider at 10 to get there...then drop the slider to zero.
 
# 9 tanman05851 @ 05/10/17 03:56 PM
I'm having a problem locking in on my skill level with my RTTS SP.Let's say I have DD set to 10.I get to the skill level I want to be.I hit the option button,go to RTTS sliders,change it to zero,accept the changes and go back to the game.The game ignores my request to stay on that level and quickly boots me up or down from where I want to be.If I recheck the DD slider it is set to zero.Am I doing this correctly?
Also I just had a thought.This player is an import from I believe MLB14.Would that give me an issue?
 
# 10 HolyStroke3 @ 05/10/17 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
Really wish all the difficulty levels found in Dynamic Difficulty could be selected outside of it.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I'd like to be able to choose a starting point for what difficulty I start at.
And yes
 
# 11 mlblover15 @ 05/11/17 10:05 PM
This is something I have wanted for a very long time... I even brought it up to one of the dev team either on OS or TSN over the last couple of years. they asked me how it would work and I tried to explain but not even as close to as clearly as you did in this video... great stuff

I remember either World Series baseball or 2K at some point for one year did this. they had self-adjusting sliders. I never understood how SDS never brought this on board... this is something I could get behind as I always get sliders when I use ANY slider set... but this would calm those nerves due to knowing that they are always adjusting due to how I am playing...

I give this a huge yes vote, two thumbs up and I"m behind this and you on this a billion percent... let's get this going... and soon...

SDS get him to the studio for a week or two and have him discuss this with whatever team members need to be included... have this video cued up and ready to go for discussion...

this would take this game to the next level... please I think I speak for a great deal of us here when I say... please make this happen...
 
# 12 Bullit @ 05/12/17 05:32 AM
One thing I have always wanted with Dynamic Difficulty is a separate slider for both hitting and pitching. I very rarely dial both in at the same time and it would be nice to be able to turn off the progression of one and let the other still progress. It is not a bid deal to turn it on off manually now, but it would be nice to not have to take this step.
 
# 13 RockPowderDownLoL @ 05/12/17 10:57 AM
a quick way to get dynamic difficulty to where you want it is to put quick counts on, turn the sensitivity slider up and fast forward through the batting or vice versa. it took me 4 games to get to hall of fame plus for pitching and each game whizzed by, i also tried to pick easy matchups that i know would help speed up the process. i picked an ace and a weak hitting team, quick counts on, and only pitched.
 
# 14 Mike Lowe @ 05/12/17 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfiant1
Great video. Well thought out and many outstanding points. I really hope the makers of MLB the show look at this use it to improve next years game.

My 2 cents are that the user should have the ability to add their input as well. For instance, I love to hit a lot of HR but don't want too high of an average. If there was a way to input that and have dynamic difficulty 2.0 adjust for that as well as have realistic results like in your video would be the best of both worlds imho.
That's a very cool idea.

Thanks for the kind words as well.
 
# 15 Mike Lowe @ 05/12/17 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
This is something I have wanted for a very long time... I even brought it up to one of the dev team either on OS or TSN over the last couple of years. they asked me how it would work and I tried to explain but not even as close to as clearly as you did in this video... great stuff

I remember either World Series baseball or 2K at some point for one year did this. they had self-adjusting sliders. I never understood how SDS never brought this on board... this is something I could get behind as I always get sliders when I use ANY slider set... but this would calm those nerves due to knowing that they are always adjusting due to how I am playing...

I give this a huge yes vote, two thumbs up and I"m behind this and you on this a billion percent... let's get this going... and soon...

SDS get him to the studio for a week or two and have him discuss this with whatever team members need to be included... have this video cued up and ready to go for discussion...

this would take this game to the next level... please I think I speak for a great deal of us here when I say... please make this happen...
Thank you. I'd love to do whatever I could to help make the game better and more enjoyable for us all.

We cannot let sim sports gaming die!
 
# 16 decga @ 05/12/17 11:23 PM
I loved the video! I started using Dynamic difficulty & adjusted my slider's accordingly. It's only been two games, but I'm liking my success. 15 runs in 2 games. I'm concerned that the CPU might be a ”Chubby Chaser". Archer 13 K ,107 NP, Thearan 13K, 115 NP.
 
# 17 raneman85 @ 05/17/17 05:35 PM
The toughest level for me oddly is Veteran and Rookie. Naturally, the pitches are more hittable and I will hit more homers and make more contact, but my average is actually lower.


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
 
# 18 BigAl_6992 @ 05/20/17 04:35 PM
I had a question but am unable to post a new topic - do a lot of people use dynamic for hitting but then a set difficulty level for pitching?


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.