Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post



Many OS'ers are reporting some severe issues with online connectivity with MLB The Show 17. The up and down online experience has impacted several modes in the game, making some modes virtually unplayable in the first two weeks of release.

The issues have been so persistent and negative that Sony released a detailed statement yesterday on the server issues, even promising a make-good to fans for the issues.

It seems like tonight the issues are particularly bad, with many users reporting a virtually unplayable experience. Its very possible, even likely, that the Easter Holiday weekend has led to more people than usual online today and tonight.

Here's a sampling of reports from today/tonight:

Quote:
"Up until today I was relatively calm, taking the bad with the good. But after wasting the entire evening on playing and replaying the same missions, but with increasingly worse results, and making zero progress whatsoever, the game has become more frustrating than it is fun. - yelch
Quote:
"It is all crap right now. This is worse than 3 days after launch. Conquest won't even record results." - raskal67
Quote:
"Yep servers fully down again, just finished a full 9 inning game finishing the Ricky Weeks 2 SB and Double along with a few other player missions, and immediately dropped to main title screen with an error. - Stolm

The issues are severe and persistent enough that it seems most users in several different modes are seeing their experiences impacted. For many, the modes they bought the game for are simply not playable and have not been consistently reliable for two weeks now.

-EDIT- I would also like to add that the developers added a new Rookie Program today for Chipper Jones. As of now, the stats for that Mission do not appear to be registering for a large swathe of people (if not everyone), so I would avoid doing it for right now until that has been fixed. - Chase Becotte, Senior Editor.

Be sure to comment what your experiences have been tonight and throughout the past couple of days in the comments below.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 34 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 335TDC @ 04/14/17 09:53 PM
If your ps4 is online, your Franchise game will lock at the -- wait for it...! -- REWARDS screen.

And if, like me, you turn auto-save off, you're screwed. Time gone, no results. Furious.
 
# 2 majesty95 @ 04/14/17 09:55 PM
I played a Play vs CPU game trying to complete conquest. Needed two AS home runs. Griffey hit 4 including a grand slam. Got a server error as soon as the game got to the achievements screen. I've been fairly forgiving for the most part but it's getting worse, not better. It's inexcusable at this point. They are wasting people's time and it's not ok. They're losing a lot of good will. Had I not bought the digital version I would be tempted to trade it in. I'm seriously wondering if I'll want to give them a shot on release next year. This isn't a good look for them but they can't seem to get out of their own way and make meaningful changes to fully rectify the issues. It seems like they just keep trying to use band-aids to patch leaks in the boat.
 
# 3 malek05 @ 04/14/17 09:55 PM
Played two dynasty games and at the end of both got a network error saying it couldn't load item rewards due to a network connection error and then the screen became unresponsive...

Two hours wasted and I don't think I am going to have a thrid go against king felix anytime soon...

Probably done with this game as a whole because the one thing I am NOT going to do is play 60 dollars for a game that I got to cross my fingers and sacrafice my neighbors goats in hopes that I can actually save my progress...

Sorry Rangers...no real world WS for you and know video game WS for you either...
 
# 4 ChaseB @ 04/14/17 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
I played a Play vs CPU game trying to complete conquest. Needed two AS home runs. Griffey hit 4 including a grand slam. Got a server error as soon as the game got to the achievements screen. I've been fairly forgiving for the most part but it's getting worse, not better. It's inexcusable at this point. They are wasting people's time and it's not ok. They're losing a lot of good will. Had I not bought the digital version I would be tempted to trade it in. I'm seriously wondering if I'll want to give them a shot on release next year. This isn't a good look for them but they can't seem to get out of their own way and make meaningful changes to fully rectify the issues. It seems like they just keep trying to use band-aids to patch leaks in the boat.
It's certainly the worst roll out for the series in an online sense in probably four years. This feels more like the olddddddd issues Sony used to have with this series online where for most of like the PS3 generation you had no idea if the title would even work online. Like, there have been sporadic problems in the past 2-3 years, but nothing this wide-ranging or that lasted this long. They had really made great stride online until this season, at least to me. Diamond Dynasty became my favorite mode in the game 2 years ago because they did iron out those issues on the whole. This year I've played like a total of 3 head-to-head online games because I'm terrified of results counting and everything else.
 
# 5 raskal67 @ 04/14/17 10:30 PM
I was one of those quoted in the original post. My only addition would be a link.

Even if the server shows up it rapidly goes down.

http://downdetector.com/status/mlb-the-show

Sorry folks I rarely post and have been a member for a long time.

This is the worst I have ever experienced.
 
# 6 SoxFan01605 @ 04/14/17 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
It's certainly the worst roll out for the series in an online sense in probably four years. This feels more like the olddddddd issues Sony used to have with this series online where for most of like the PS3 generation you had no idea if the title would even work online. Like, there have been sporadic problems in the past 2-3 years, but nothing this wide-ranging or that lasted this long. They had really made great stride online until this season, at least to me. Diamond Dynasty became my favorite mode in the game 2 years ago because they did iron out those issues on the whole. This year I've played like a total of 3 head-to-head online games because I'm terrified of results counting and everything else.
Last year had a roll out that was just as widespread and nearly just as panned (In fact, I think how bad it was for 16 is, in part, why this year is doubly frustrating for those having issues).

Now, some of the issues are different in 17 and perhaps the fixes and compensation came a tad earlier (at least in terms of it impacting offline modes), but the issues in 16 were FAR from sporadic.

FYI, I'm only pointing that out because I feel we need to view the poor QA as a broader issue and not make it seem like an isolated situation (and certainly not to diminish this year's issues).

Now, I do understand some of the constraints the team faces and, to their credit, they are reliable when it comes to addressing most issues in time, but these last couple of iterations should, IMO, have someone inside looking closer at QA pre-release.
 
# 7 thekidisback @ 04/14/17 11:17 PM
Are you guys waiting on each after game screen for at least 30 seconds before pressing X? That's what I've been doing for the last 2 hours and I finished two vs CPU games with no problems.
 
# 8 G3no_11 @ 04/14/17 11:24 PM
I played 2 games of conquest and also redeemed some mission rewards, tweaked my lineup and everything has worked fine for me tonight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 
# 9 Mike Lowe @ 04/14/17 11:42 PM
Luckily I play baseball for franchise, and I immediately back out of post game rewards, never caring for one second what I unlocked.

I play baseball because I love the game of baseball. I highly recommend finding a similar balance; you'll feel a lot better!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 
# 10 ChaseB @ 04/14/17 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Last year had a roll out that was just as widespread and nearly just as panned (In fact, I think how bad it was for 16 is, in part, why this year is doubly frustrating for those having issues).

Now, some of the issues are different in 17 and perhaps the fixes and compensation came a tad earlier (at least in terms of it impacting offline modes), but the issues in 16 were FAR from sporadic.

FYI, I'm only pointing that out because I feel we need to view the poor QA as a broader issue and not make it seem like an isolated situation (and certainly not to diminish this year's issues).

Now, I do understand some of the constraints the team faces and, to their credit, they are reliable when it comes to addressing most issues in time, but these last couple of iterations should, IMO, have someone inside looking closer at QA pre-release.
I don't remember last year lasting this long or being this erratic. Pretty much every sports games is a bit of a mess the first week, but this is on a different level this season.
 
# 11 Dolenz @ 04/15/17 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidisback
Are you guys waiting on each after game screen for at least 30 seconds before pressing X? That's what I've been doing for the last 2 hours and I finished two vs CPU games with no problems.
Doesn't help if you have actually been disconnected from the server which appeared to be the biggest issue yesterday. It also should not be necessary.

Last year had similar network issues but I feel that they were not nearly as extreme (results actually being lost) as this year and they did not seem to linger on for nearly 3 weeks.

For my part my server disconnect that killed it for me came on Thursday night. I lost an hour of playtime and the advances that were made in multiple missions. This basically pushed me over the edge to the point where I did not even attempt to play at all yesterday, even though I had the whole day to do so.
 
# 12 Bunselpower32 @ 04/15/17 08:53 AM
So the Opening Day time limited mission I missed because of server issues, the games were played but all went to the queue. No reward for that one.

Now here we are, two weeks later, and what do you know? Complete server disconnection. Couldn't connect for over 3 hours last night. So I missed the Time Limited SunTrust Park event too. That's two event rewards I've been screwed out of.

I love this game and I think it's the best one I've played yet. But the servers are just so unbelievably horrible. I'm a franchise player but before the Hybrid is done I really enjoy playing DD, I found it last year and fell in love with the mode.

I'm never one to call for a company to give away free stuff all the time, but I really think those two rewards should be given to everyone at a minimum.
 
# 13 oldman @ 04/15/17 09:44 AM
The online issues are very frustrating. Every time I boot the game I get a message screen that pops up and ask me to update to version 1.03 now or do it later. If I say do it now it restarts the game without doing any update, if I select Later the game starts but I don't seem to be able to connect to anything online (Could be an issue with larger server issues). I have already updated to version 1.03 though! Very annoying.
 
# 14 raskal67 @ 04/15/17 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Luckily I play baseball for franchise, and I immediately back out of post game rewards, never caring for one second what I unlocked.

I play baseball because I love the game of baseball. I highly recommend finding a similar balance; you'll feel a lot better!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Glad the issues are not impacting you but this comment is really not on topic for this thread nor is it helpful.

I seem to have noticed for me anyway my issues correlate with mission advancement or completion. Also on conquest stronghold capture.

If I don't include those issues things work better.
 
# 15 parky_17 @ 04/15/17 10:01 AM
I've been on for the last couple of hours with no issues, I played some BR and then a DD seasons game and they all went through with no queue or anything

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app
 
# 16 Speedy @ 04/15/17 07:28 PM
Guys, stop with the trolling comments toward one another.

There needs to be some type of respect garnered here on both sides that I'm not seeing. Offline folks don't get why people wanting to play online can't play offline...online guys are annoyed that offline folks are dismissing their frustration. Regardless of your "play style", it is very upsetting that a feature promised upon buying the game is simply unplayable - whether you play it or not.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.