NBA 2K17 News Post

Last week, 2K and the NBA announced a new eSports league featuring 8-12 teams of five players apiece owned by actual NBA franchises. The concept certainly seems cool, with games being broadcast online and players earning a full-time living while playing through an 82 game season.

There are some questions as to logistics and even if the whole thing can actually work -- but its certainly an exciting prospect and direction sports games could go in.

But what do you think? Do you think the NBA/2K partnership in an eSports league is something worthwhile?

Sound off by voting in the poll and then leave a comment with your thoughts!

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 8 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Nolove626 @ 02/16/17 12:46 PM
Absolutely not. I feel competitive online gaming has ruined every sports game for the last 4 years. I buy every sports release from Madden, MLB the show, NBA 2k, NHL and Fifa. Every game is solid in terms of gameplay and realism at release and then gets completely nerfed via patch to cater to online cry babies. First year ever I have actually considered giving up gaming because what I play on the PS4 doesn't even remotely resemble the product I see on TV.

# 2 SportsGameGod @ 02/16/17 01:00 PM
Nope. Could care less.

I care about my gaming experience not some over hyped circle jerk.

# 3 MetsFan16 @ 02/16/17 01:16 PM
I don't know yet. I feel like it could be a hit or miss. If they truly make it entertaining to watch, and not just showing the gameplay but show the people playing, communicating, fun personalities playing and commenting on the game, it might be interesting. I don't think I'd watch every game they stream but to see highlights and fun interactions would be cool I guess. Depends on the players too. If they're a bunch of jerks who just show up and ball without being fun to watch, then it will be hard to watch.

# 4 hanzsomehanz @ 02/16/17 01:50 PM
With so much money and reputation on the line: I expect it to be worth it. Growth takes time and it'll take time for the league to expand... just no telling if it can reach 30 and leave a huge footprint or will 2k esports remain in obscurity among the established high ranked e-Leagues?

I'm personally interested. I been following the Pro Am tournaments and enjoy following esports tourneys in general. I hope to be impressed by the gameplay. I hope it makes me feel like I'm missing out on an elite state of the art esport basketball experience.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

# 5 Pound4pound @ 02/16/17 02:15 PM
I'd be interested if I actually had a chance to be on a team...

What are they tryouts for each team or will they just pick the guys on top of the leaderboards?

# 6 Guapo516 @ 02/16/17 03:32 PM
Couldn't be more disinterested. This franchise is rightfully chasing a unique untapped market, but I think they've lost their way in quality functional gameplay. I'm not saying the passion or effort isn't there, but this console generation hasn't been good at all in my opinion and I couldn't be more disappointed. I think chasing e sports or trying to beat ea to the punch is skipping steps which I feel the franchise didn't do in the previous console generation. Core functional gameplay should be solid before these steps are implemented.

# 7 tril @ 02/16/17 04:37 PM
as far as playing in an e-league, not interested at all.
as a spectator- I may check out a game or 2 just out of curiosity.

# 8 Pound4pound @ 02/16/17 05:44 PM
I agree with Guapo516

Gameplay isn't even good enough for this yet.. Unless you're on a team its not something I think people will watch

# 9 Syce @ 02/16/17 07:40 PM
i love Esports, while I probably would never be as good as these pro gamers, i do have a interest to watch live events and such I personally, think this will be a cool if done correctly, but we will have to wait and see how it turns out.

Now, the negative reactions here on OS and no offence to anyone here, but if you really read between the lines with most of what is posted on OS from news stories, threads, replys in those threads, etc, Most OS are Single player AKA Offline players.

# 10 KennyJ1976 @ 02/16/17 08:00 PM
Playing NBA 2K as a full time job, HELL YEAH!!! Sign me up. As far a watching other people play, nah not interested.

# 11 Cowboy008 @ 02/17/17 11:13 AM
Not interested.

# 12 Retropyro @ 02/17/17 12:01 PM
Nope, not at all.

# 13 SirGaryColeman @ 02/17/17 02:47 PM
I'd love to try and be in the league, but I seriously doubt they'll come up with a fair way to join.

Most likely it will be people from teams that made it into the RTTF thing and YouTubers.

I wanna see how good these players are at 2k, would probably be a good way to learn how to play the game. Not sure anyone else would want to watch it, but I think the goal is:

- Get more 2k sales from people that get excited about the idea of joining a league.
- Get more NBA fans from people that may not care about the NBA, but enjoy gaming and want to compete in a league

# 14 kicker @ 02/17/17 03:28 PM
I am shocked people are not interested in this. Mark me down for being interested and expecting it to mean great things for the game for all of us, whether we are drafted or not. This is probably one of the best things to happen to sports video gaming and to have this type of response on a sports video website is mind boggling.

# 15 Man2116 @ 02/20/17 12:51 AM
I'm an offline gamer cause I like realism..... so I'm interested if it's people playing basketball, doing basketball things in a basketball game, not this my park (keep tapping steal until it happens or run in circles with cross over after cross over until I can dunk) type of play or the pro am (pass to my friend only) type of play! If it's actually people running plays and doing just what the Czar says "playing basketball"!! I'm down to try out!!