Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post


NCAA Football is always going to have a bit of speculation around when/if/maybe someday it will return.

In an interview with IGN, EA Chief Competition Officer Peter Moore added his voice to the chorus of speculation with a rather optimistic tone.

Check out the quotes from the interview compiled by Polygon's Owen Good:

Quote:
“NCAA Football became the lightning rod for bigger issues regarding college athletes getting paid for their performance, not only in football but all college sports,” said Moore, who was EA Sports president from 2007 to 2011. “And their likeness. It was a sad day when we realized, ‘We are in the sights of a number of lawsuits.’ A number of athletes which were all combined eventually into one singular suit and said, ‘That’s me.’ When your lawyers’ fees are more than the revenue you can expect to get in.

"It was an unclear future for us,” Moore said. “It was a really sad day and we said, ‘We just can’t do this anymore.’ And one day I know we’ll be back.

Currently there's still no traction for a game to actually make a comeback since the lawsuit's settlement checks are still going out.

As we've reported in the past, NCAA Football will only make a comeback when the legal structures of the NCAA change to allow players to be paid. A game with generic rosters would still not be a legally viable option and most likely several schools would balk at such an effort anyways -- thus it's unlikely anything but a fully licensed game with real players on real teams will be shipped. EA will almost certainly not pursue a college game of any kind unless there is a zero percent chance of a lawsuit.

So while we appreciate Moore's optimism, it does look like we're still in a holding pattern waiting on the NCAA to do something right.

In other words, the world may look like this before a NCAA Football game ships again.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 52 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Pocono29 @ 08/31/16 02:50 PM
IMV GAMING is looking to make a college football game. Check them out on Twitter if you haven't heard of them.
 
# 2 tessl @ 08/31/16 03:50 PM
They are worried about lawsuits and I don't blame them. I believe generic rosters would sell a lot of copies because 5 years into a franchise every roster is generic.
 
# 3 snc237 @ 08/31/16 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
They are worried about lawsuits and I don't blame them. I believe generic rosters would sell a lot of copies because 5 years into a franchise every roster is generic.
It's one thing to have generic rosters. It's another not to have licenced schools
 
# 4 YEARofTHEcardinal @ 08/31/16 04:16 PM
I'd be fine with random rosters like MVP NCAA Baseball had, as long as all the teams are there
 
# 5 Kodos @ 08/31/16 04:18 PM
Moore talks about NCAA Football starting at 56:13 in the video.
 
# 6 jwilphl @ 08/31/16 04:31 PM
I'm curious as to why you say "a game with generic rosters would still not be a legally viable option..." If there is no player-likeness concern, a player cannot then claim, "you are using my likeness without my consent." I agree that EA specifically may not want to pursue a game with fake players (they'll claim that authenticity matters) but that's not the same as EA failing to pursue it because of concerns over liability.

I think we are at least five years away from another game, if it ever did return. The NCAA will never allow players to be paid. They've relented a bit on additional stipends for living costs, but that is as far as the NCAA will ever go. The organization will have to collapse in on itself before that ever changes. If for whatever reason EA refuses to make another game until players are able to paid/commercialized, then we simply won't see another NCAA licensed football game again.

I think the bigger concern is in regards to further conference and school autonomy. It was easier to license the bulk of the schools in the past because they all operated under one essential umbrella. Granted the rising cost of the NCAA license was a concern, largely why 2K dropped out of the market altogether, but in the present and into the future, any game developer will have to negotiate terms with a much larger number of organizations. It remains to be seen how willing all those separate schools and conferences are to get back into this field, even if it means additional revenue.

I think a game with generic rosters would be fine; I personally never bought the game for the players. However, a game with generic teams would likely never cover the cost of doing business. There simply isn't much appealing about a game with ~130 no-name schools. Even with editors out the wazoo, I just couldn't see a game in that nature selling.
 
# 7 Junior Moe @ 08/31/16 04:55 PM
Beautiful! I have always felt that we'd see college games again. Either after the lawsuits are settled. Or, once a model (generic players, legends, whatever...) is in play that allows EA, the NCAA and member schools to make a game without fear of lawsuits. I mean, the NCAA and schools are totally free to license and make money. 2K is doing it with NBA. Just blow it out with the NCAA and the member schools. Make the players completely, completely generic, although realistic (Alabama could be a powerhouse pro style team) without any overlap to a real players, number, height, race, handedness or anything. In fact, go out of the way to avoid it. Capture everything else true to life though. Stadiums, teams, history maybe even coaches if their licensing can be secured. Slap the modified Madden engine in that baby and lets roll!
 
# 8 eaterofworlds888 @ 08/31/16 05:44 PM
I didn't really play NCAA Football because I'm just not a big football fan but I would be all over a new NCAA Basketball game. I would be fine with generic rosters as well, I just want an updated NCAA game with all the features we have given to us today.
 
# 9 BenGerman @ 08/31/16 06:42 PM
I'm not as pessimistic as everyone else.

I think we'll have a breakthrough soon that - while not paying players - will allow them to make money on their own likeness. At that point, EA has the option of paying players or ignoring likeness all together. I think it's the schools they care about and less so the players.

As soon as everyone is feeling like a middle ground has been met, we'll see NCAA games popping up again.
 
# 10 sheredia @ 08/31/16 09:50 PM
i'm confused.....a player owns their likeness without the name? don't they have to own the likeness first? can't EA put a disclaimer in the game stating the players in the game are not based on real players or likenesses? and any similarities are purely accidental?
 
# 11 Junior Moe @ 08/31/16 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
i'm confused.....a player owns their likeness without the name? don't they have to own the likeness first? can't EA put a disclaimer in the game stating the players in the game are not based on real players or likenesses? and any similarities are purely accidental?
I think the definitive answer to that is still being worked through the courts. But it does appear that say a 6'2" right handed black QB on Clemson number 4 and rated as the best QB in game would constitute Desaun Watsons likeness. Even if he isn't named or looks anything like him. It's confusing. If we do see another collegiate game without the official likeness of current collegiate players that there would be a disclaimer and that all parties involved would take extra measures to avoid any likeness claims and lawsuits. Look at the collegiate players in 2Ks MyCareer. They bear zero resemblance to any player on the respective college teams.
 
# 12 redsox4evur @ 08/31/16 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
i'm confused.....a player owns their likeness without the name? don't they have to own the likeness first? can't EA put a disclaimer in the game stating the players in the game are not based on real players or likenesses? and any similarities are purely accidental?

A player's likeness is much, much more than a person's name. It contains but is not limited to name, hometown, height, weight, handiness.

There is no coincidence when you create an African-American quarterback from Gainesville, FLA, that is 6'3/215 lbs, throws right handed that is in his junior year at Clemson.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
# 13 Herky @ 08/31/16 10:57 PM
Just made it fully editable and you won't have to worry about player likenesses unless they are created by the user/community.
 
# 14 redsox4evur @ 08/31/16 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky
Just made it fully editable and you won't have to worry about player likenesses unless they are created by the user/community.

You mean like NCAA already was? How did that turn out for them?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
# 15 Junior Moe @ 09/01/16 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
A player's likeness is much, much more than a person's name. It contains but is not limited to name, hometown, height, weight, handiness.

There is no coincidence when you create an African-American quarterback from Gainesville, FLA, that is 6'3/215 lbs, throws right handed that is in his junior year at Clemson.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The thing that I'm still confused about is exactly how different from the actual player does it have to be to not have a "likeness" claim. The stuff you quoted is a dead ringer for Watson. That's blatant and no coincidence. But say if the QB was 6'5", 220, black and right handed. From Atlanta Ga, and numbered 14. But he was still rated pretty good. I don't think it would but I don't know.
 
# 16 GlennN @ 09/01/16 09:08 AM
I agree with others here - I would be fine with a fully generic roster, as long as the schools were actual ones. I believe as long as the rosters were generic and random (and not capable of being edited), there would be little legal issue with player likeness liability. As others have said, there are generic players shortly into a college dynasty anyway. There would still be the need to license each school however.
 
# 17 OReilly10 @ 09/01/16 09:29 AM
It is encouraging that there is at least some chatter and an apparent willingness of EA execs to make an NCAA release in the future.

I guess it is also encouraging that once the legal parameters and framework is created, it will likely lead to an NCAA Hoops game as well.

We will see. It seems fairly "dead" now. I can see things progressing quicker than my pessimistic side thinks.
 
# 18 Herky @ 09/01/16 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
You mean like NCAA already was? How did that turn out for them?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They don't have to make guys seem like the real player out of that box. That's what got them into trouble. Just randomize everyone. 2K8 College Hoops was like that.
 
# 19 SIR924 @ 09/01/16 11:21 AM
Would be nice to have NCAA back! License should not be hard to get, just make sure rosters are generic and let us customize them. I'm sure a third party company would do rosters like now for NCAA 14.
 
# 20 redsox4evur @ 09/01/16 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
The thing that I'm still confused about is exactly how different from the actual player does it have to be to not have a "likeness" claim. The stuff you quoted is a dead ringer for Watson. That's blatant and no coincidence. But say if the QB was 6'5", 220, black and right handed. From Atlanta Ga, and numbered 14. But he was still rated pretty good. I don't think it would but I don't know.

Yea that would be fine, I think. But the stuff I listed wouldn't because as you said dead ringer for Watson.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.