Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post



If you are like me and you don't look at the controls before diving into Madden -- you probably have had the QB take off and not known how to slide at the end of the play. This may have ended fine for you, it may have ended very poorly -- regardless you don't want your QB taking too many hits in football.

This year, to slide with your QB you have to hold both triggers (LT and RT) down and push x on Xbox One or square on your PS4. When to slide is all a personal preference, but I would recommend trying to avoid any big contacts with your QB since they're more prone to fumbling and an injury to your franchise QB isn't a good way to win a Super Bowl. QB slides will help you avoid the hit and keep the yards.

Video credit: Sports Gamers Online on YouTube

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Smoke316 @ 08/25/16 01:28 PM
I usually just tap X or Square and the QB slides


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
# 2 SolidSquid @ 08/25/16 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
I usually just tap X or Square and the QB slides


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Until this year, if you try it you'll get a high dive and demolished if there's defenders around lol
 
# 3 jake44np @ 08/25/16 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
I usually just tap X or Square and the QB slides


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not this year.
Square nor X will make him slide.
 
# 4 Smoke316 @ 08/25/16 01:30 PM
Haha I seen that happen as well. I'll try your way when I get in tho. If it's a consistent slide I'm def doing that then


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
# 5 jeremyp1223 @ 08/25/16 01:40 PM
On ps4 tapping square slides. R2+square does a straight reaching dive. L2 and square does the dive where they leap over the line.
 
# 6 IcedCoffee1983 @ 08/25/16 01:49 PM
You also need to be sure to be forward of the line of scrimmage.
 
# 7 NewscasterNews4 @ 08/25/16 01:55 PM
One of my biggest gripes about the game this year is the fact they changed the QB slide button. By the time I mash down L2, R2 and square my QB has already been hit. Luckily for me I haven't had a QB fumble or even worse get injured, but I just don't understand the change considering just tapping the square button worked just fine.
 
# 8 IcedCoffee1983 @ 08/25/16 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewscasterNews4
One of my biggest gripes about the game this year is the fact they changed the QB slide button. By the time I mash down L2, R2 and square my QB has already been hit. Luckily for me I haven't had a QB fumble or even worse get injured, but I just don't understand the change considering just tapping the square button worked just fine.
I'm not sure why they changed it either... this is the year of head scratchers.
 
# 9 Bootzilla @ 08/25/16 02:06 PM
Tapping square on PS4 worked for me once. The other time I dove. Then I read there was a "give yourself up" or take a sack feature using the triggers and square. I've used this when a sack was inevitable to avoid fumbling.

Had a hilarious moment when I was scrambling with Teddy Bridgewater and attempted to slide. Instead of hitting the triggers and square I hit X and went into celebration mode and got blasted and fumbled.
 
# 10 jeremyp1223 @ 08/25/16 02:09 PM
If u let off the triggers when you tap square you'll slide normally.
 
# 11 Fusker @ 08/25/16 02:13 PM
Good thread, fumbled twice last night when failing to slide!
 
# 12 booker21 @ 08/25/16 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Until this year, if you try it you'll get a high dive and demolished if there's defenders around lol
I played 4 games and all were with Scramble QB so i have around 20 rush att. So far with every rush i dive with just pressing the square and RT. No need of LT.

What i``m missing? maybe this is required after the LOS?
 
# 13 jeremyp1223 @ 08/25/16 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
I played 4 games and all were with Scramble QB so i have around 20 rush att. So far with every rush i dive with just pressing the square and RT. No need of LT.

What i``m missing? maybe this is required after the LOS?
Lt+square will make the qb leap over the line.
 
# 14 booker21 @ 08/25/16 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyp1223
Lt+square will make the qb leap over the line.
I`m confuse, the video says that you need to press L2 and R2 + square to dive.

I only press square (and without 99% of the time R2 since i`m sprinting).

I don`t need to press L2 at any time to drive.
 
# 15 jeremyp1223 @ 08/25/16 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
I`m confuse, the video says that you need to press L2 and R2 + square to dive.

I only press square (and without 99% of the time R2 since i`m sprinting).

I don`t need to press L2 at any time to drive.
L2 +square leaps over line. R2+ square does reaching dive. Tapping square still slides.I don't ever use r2 l2 and square. just go in practice mode and try it.
 
# 16 tetoleetd @ 08/25/16 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
I played 4 games and all were with Scramble QB so i have around 20 rush att. So far with every rush i dive with just pressing the square and RT. No need of LT.

What i``m missing? maybe this is required after the LOS?
you want the QB to slide, not dive. diving makes him jump forward, and he can still get hit. sliding makes him go down feet first, so he is giving himself up.
 
# 17 cooper417 @ 08/25/16 04:34 PM
QB slide as in feet 1st & he's down with no risk of fumbling.
You don't want to do a QB forward dive with defenders around. (high risk of fumbling)

I'm glad it's changed. Last year tapping the square button to slide wouldn't always register & sometimes it would register as a regular dive instead of slide. It happened enough times to me in CFM that I just stopped trying to slide all together. Diving forward with defenders around would lead to more fumbles than if I just stood straight up & let the defender tackle me.
 
# 18 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/25/16 04:40 PM
I'm still able to slide by tapping square.

Does holding both triggers and doing it allow you to slide behind the line of scrimmage and maybe that's the only difference?
 
# 19 Jrocc23 @ 08/27/16 06:56 PM
I am still sliding like I always have been. When trying to slide, I just push the LS down and X (Xbox)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
# 20 NYG 98 @ 08/27/16 07:07 PM
You should also be allowed to slide behind the LOS, for the intent of draining the clock AND not throwing to the square receiver when you mean to dive. Has anyone noticed if you can do this?
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.