06:31 PM - April 12, 2016 by Steve_OS
With the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs set to begin tomorrow, EA Sports simulated all of the games with NHL 16. The result ended with the Washington Capitals defeating the San Jose Sharks in Game 7 to win the championship. You can read more about the simulation here, and make sure you post your predictions!
- For the first time in five years, neither the Chicago Blackhawks nor the Los Angles represented the Western Conference in the Stanley Cup Final. The San Jose Sharks eliminated both teams, winning each series in six games.
- Despite holding a 3-1 series lead, the St. Louis Blues were unable to defeat their Central Division rivals, as the Blackhawks showed their playoff experience by storming back and winning three straight games in round 1.
- The Florida Panthers surprised doubters by defeating the New York Islanders and state rival Tampa Bay Lightning on route to the Eastern Conference Final. Hockey legend Jaromir Jagr continued to show everyone that age is just a number, as he led the Panthers in playoff scoring with 6 goals, 11 assists for 17 points in 20 games.
- Going into the playoffs Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins were red-hot, however, that came to a sudden halt against the New York Rangers. Goaltending was the story here, as the Penguins struggled to get a fully healthy goaltender between the pipes while Henrik Lundqvist stole the show for the Rangers.
- Despite missing Steven Stamkos, the Tampa Bay Lightning did their best to defend last year’s Eastern Conference Championship by beating the Detroit Red Wings in seven games in round 1. Unfortunately, their run ended in the following round, losing to the Panthers by the same margin.