Home
EA Sports UFC 2 News Post


A new EA Sports UFC 2 game update has arrived for PlayStation 4 users, soon for Xbox One. The update removes a religious animation, which can be seen here, that randomly played after a winner was announced.

This animation was noticed by Khabib Nurmagomedov, who is Muslim, and posted messages on his Twitter account and a follow up message from EA on his Instagram account.

EA quickly took action and have officially removed the celebration from the game on the PlayStation 4, with the same update coming to Xbox One very soon.

Game: EA Sports UFC 2Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
EA Sports UFC 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Tybudd @ 03/24/16 10:12 PM
You allowed your game to give glory to our Lord and Savior, and then you publicly take it out. Thank you EA for securing my stand on NEVER buying another game of yours, was honestly contemplating it.

You could have done this on the DL, but you decide to make it seem like a shame to be in your game...
 
# 2 Tybudd @ 03/24/16 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
You allowed your game to give glory to our Lord and Savior, and then you publicly take it out. Thank you EA for securing my stand on NEVER buying another game of yours, was honestly contemplating it.

You could have done this on the DL, but you decide to make it seem like a shame to be in your game...
If this is the case "EA Sports its in the Game" shouldn't be your slogan!!!
 
# 3 aholbert32 @ 03/24/16 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
You allowed your game to give glory to our Lord and Savior, and then you publicly take it out. Thank you EA for securing my stand on NEVER buying another game of yours, was honestly contemplating it.

You could have done this on the DL, but you decide to make it seem like a shame to be in your game...
You obviously have no idea why this was an issue. One of the top fighters in the UFC (Khabib Nurmegamedov) is a muslim and it was disrespectful to his religion to have his character make the sign of the cross after winning a fight. Because that celebration was random and he doesnt have a signature celebration, his character could be randomly assigned that celebration.

There shouldnt be any religious (Christian, Muslim, Buddhist etc) celebrations in the game that can be randomly assigned to fighters who worship a different religion.
 
# 4 Tybudd @ 03/24/16 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You obviously have no idea why this was an issue. One of the top fighters in the UFC (Khabib Nurmegamedov) is a muslim and it was disrespectful to his religion to have his character make the sign of the cross after winning a fight. Because that celebration was random and he doesnt have a signature celebration, his character could be randomly assigned that celebration.

There shouldnt be any religious (Christian, Muslim, Buddhist etc) celebrations in the game that can be randomly assigned to fighters who worship a different religion.
You pretty much gave the answer of what should have been done, the characters that actually do the animation should have been left to do so, and for it not to be random, what kinda BS oversight was that??
 
# 5 aholbert32 @ 03/24/16 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
You pretty much gave the answer of what should have been done, the characters that actually do the animation should have been left to do so, and for it not to be random, what kinda BS oversight was that??
It was a random animation. There were no fighters that had that celebration as their signature celebration. It was one of several random animations they gave for guys who dont have a signature animation.

Its not like there were Christian fighters in the game who had this as their only and signature animation and they removed it, you would have a point. But no one did. It was a randomly generated animation. Its not like they replaced it with a Muslim prayer animation.

They did the right thing by removing entirely. I dont play a MMA game to see religious symbolism. While there are millions of people who believe Christ is as you said "their lord and savior", there are millions who dont and dont care to see religious celebrations in the game.
 
# 6 sactown_13 @ 03/24/16 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
You allowed your game to give glory to our Lord and Savior, and then you publicly take it out. Thank you EA for securing my stand on NEVER buying another game of yours, was honestly contemplating it.

You could have done this on the DL, but you decide to make it seem like a shame to be in your game...
Bet you play madden in August
 
# 7 oakevin @ 03/24/16 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
It was a random animation. There were no fighters that had that celebration as their signature celebration. It was one of several random animations they gave for guys who dont have a signature animation.

Its not like there were Christian fighters in the game who had this as their only and signature animation and they removed it, you would have a point. But no one did. It was a randomly generated animation. Its not like they replaced it with a Muslim prayer animation.

They did the right thing by removing entirely. I dont play a MMA game to see religious symbolism. While there are millions of people who believe Christ is as you said "their lord and savior", there are millions who dont and dont care to see religious celebrations in the game.
*Shakes berts hand*
 
# 8 Tybudd @ 03/24/16 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactown_13
Bet you play madden in August
lol, hadn't played Madden in 10 years, but for other reasons
 
# 9 Tybudd @ 03/24/16 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
It was a random animation. There were no fighters that had that celebration as their signature celebration. It was one of several random animations they gave for guys who dont have a signature animation.

Its not like there were Christian fighters in the game who had this as their only and signature animation and they removed it, you would have a point. But no one did. It was a randomly generated animation. Its not like they replaced it with a Muslim prayer animation.

They did the right thing by removing entirely. I dont play a MMA game to see religious symbolism. While there are millions of people who believe Christ is as you said "their lord and savior", there are millions who dont and dont care to see religious celebrations in the game.
I understand your point, and your angle, but for that particular Animation to be pinpointed just looks bad, there has been games in the past that have made changes, and the patch notes are so vague that you actually have to play the game to see what the changes were.

Still goes back to their slogan, don't matter if you bought your MMA to see the symbolism, in real life it exist.

EA SPORTs It Might be in the Game

I fixed it...
 
# 10 oakevin @ 03/24/16 11:11 PM
You aren't understanding the point.... Khabib is a Muslim,they gave him a Christian celebration.He complained and rightfully so. Gotta make changes.
 
# 11 aholbert32 @ 03/24/16 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
I understand your point, and your angle, but for that particular Animation to be pinpointed just looks bad, there has been games in the past that have made changes, and the patch notes are so vague that you actually have to play the game to see what the changes were.

Still goes back to their slogan, don't matter if you bought your MMA to see the symbolism, in real life it exist.

EA SPORTs It Might be in the Game

I fixed it...
Again, Khabib tweeted about it. Several major MMA websites picked up the story. It was bad press for EA. It would be unbelievably stupid for them to be vague about this change given the negative attention this mistake made.

That slogan argument is lame. Nick Diaz flips off his opponent in damn near every fight but that isnt in the game. Why.....because that would be offensive to some people. Rashad Evans has grabbed his crotch in several fights but its not in the game. Why....because that would be offensive to some people.

Religious celebrations are no longer in the game. Why....because that would be offensive to some people.

I dont have an angle here. Im just shocked at how narrowminded some people are when it comes to stuff like this.
 
# 12 Hayden @ 03/24/16 11:28 PM
How the hell does it take an 800 mb patch or so just to fix this?
 
# 13 Freakywwe @ 03/24/16 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden
How the hell does it take an 800 mb patch or so just to fix this?
This is the real issue
 
# 14 Speedy @ 03/24/16 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
You allowed your game to give glory to our Lord and Savior, and then you publicly take it out. Thank you EA for securing my stand on NEVER buying another game of yours, was honestly contemplating it.

You could have done this on the DL, but you decide to make it seem like a shame to be in your game...
I would love to discuss the first statement but I cannot due to the TOS.

As far as EA's actions here, they felt they misrepresented a fighter and wanted to address it. To present a (somewhat extreme) parallel, that's like if NBA2K16 had LeBron wearing UA sneakers...such action would likely provoke outrage from LeBron and others.

EA has a huge partnership with the athletes in these games, a partnership any developer strives to maintain in congruence with the affiliated professional sports league...being they felt they offended one of these athletes, doing it on the "DL" and privately would be the worst decision.
 
# 15 bxphenom7 @ 03/25/16 12:09 AM
This is pretty dumb. It's like taking out a goal celebration smh. They could have just made the celebration unavailable to his player model and that's it. I would definitely use that celebration in the game for my character (wish I could do that in MLB after a home run).
 
# 16 fballturkey @ 03/25/16 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden
How the hell does it take an 800 mb patch or so just to fix this?
I'm very curious about that as well. Did they have to make a brand new .exe (or whatever the equivalent is) to remove this for some reason?
 
# 17 talucchesi @ 03/25/16 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Again, Khabib tweeted about it. Several major MMA websites picked up the story. It was bad press for EA. It would be unbelievably stupid for them to be vague about this change given the negative attention this mistake made.

That slogan argument is lame. Nick Diaz flips off his opponent in damn near every fight but that isnt in the game. Why.....because that would be offensive to some people. Rashad Evans has grabbed his crotch in several fights but its not in the game. Why....because that would be offensive to some people.

Religious celebrations are no longer in the game. Why....because that would be offensive to some people.

I dont have an angle here. Im just shocked at how narrowminded some people are when it comes to stuff like this.
I'm not religious but If we're being completely fair here, grabbing your crotch or flicking someone off is a blatant sign of disrespect. Doing the sign of the cross isn't, it's actually quite the opposite.

This is more of a subjective statement but I don't believe anybody should feel disrespected because another person does the sign of the cross. If this was let's say, Jones Jones' signature after every fight he won, then I'd say keep it in the game. But I completely understand why Khabib would have a major issue with his own player doing it.
 
# 18 masterchaoss @ 03/25/16 04:45 AM
I'm an atheist and I don't see anything wrong with the animations. They should have found a way to make it so it would only show up for Christian players, it just adds to the realism.
 
# 19 jcas007 @ 03/25/16 05:40 AM
Some of you guys just don't get it
 
# 20 aholbert32 @ 03/25/16 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
This is pretty dumb. It's like taking out a goal celebration smh. They could have just made the celebration unavailable to his player model and that's it. I would definitely use that celebration in the game for my character (wish I could do that in MLB after a home run).
There are 250 fighters in the game. I'm sure all of them arent Christian. I guess EA should call each of them and ask if they mind having a christian celebration randomly assigned to their fighter?
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.