Home
News Post



Ultimate Team modes are still all the rage within sports gaming. What once was looked at skeptically by most gamers is now one of the more popular modes on average in sports games.

Appealing to a sports fan's senses of trading cards and fantasy sports, Ultimate Team modes also feature a couple of different theories on how to build your best teams. There is the slow 'earn it' approach, where you don't spend money and simply build your team over time. Then there is the Steinbrenner approach of unloading on players and having a high end team quickly.

While 'how' these approaches are done vary from game to game, we are curious which method you tend to use.

Sound off by voting in our poll and leave a comment on some strategies you utilize to build your teams!

Member Comments
# 1 Mattuf1 @ 01/19/16 03:48 PM
These modes have ruined sports games for me.
 
# 2 Semipro91 @ 01/19/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattuf1
These modes have ruined sports games for me.
please elaborate. If you dont play the mode, how does it ruin the entire game?
 
# 3 redsox4evur @ 01/19/16 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro91
please elaborate. If you dont play the mode, how does it ruin the entire game?
Because people tend to think that developers spend more time making this mode better and they don't touch franchise mode, which is a lie.
 
# 4 tril @ 01/19/16 04:48 PM
I think both approaches have their place cause it replicates real life sports.
However, there should be some type of mechanism to have better player balance in these modes.
 
# 5 shadow2201 @ 01/19/16 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Because people tend to think that developers spend more time making this mode better and they don't touch franchise mode, which is a lie.
While it is a lie, it does take time away from developers that could be spent improving the core aspects of the game, instead of focusing on these modes, but the fact remains that these modes have become incredibly popular(although I don't see the merit, I think they're pointless and silly, but that doesn't mean my opinion matters to anyone else). So I can see the argument, but I don't believe it takes enough time away to really hurt the other modes, just doesn't give the full attention to the modes that some people consider more important. Again, doesn't mean they're right, just that's their opinion.
 
# 6 misterkrabz @ 01/19/16 05:17 PM
I've taken the "earn it" approach for Madden 16. I will say that I have gotten to the point where the cost of upgrading a position has exceeded my willingness to grind it out. When your team hits around 88 overall the price of upgrading a position is around 50k+...it takes a long time and a lot of grinding to get that kind of coinage and quit frankly, I'm not willing to grind it out so this mode is essentially dead to me other than me just playing season games for funsies...the building aspect is essentially over as I have no intention of spending real money. I've since switched to online ranked games and have found that to be more fun as the games are more balanced and more competitive (for the most part).
 
# 7 snc237 @ 01/19/16 06:38 PM
I been playing a lot of HUT this year I enjoy the mode. I have always been a major online ranked person but with NHL series and it's slow roster updates I decided to switch over. The only problem is I'm going to spend little to no money in the mode so I grind heavily. Then you get matched up against a person that has spent 200 plus dollars. Ya you still can beat them but you are at a pretty big disadvantage.
 
# 8 misterkrabz @ 01/19/16 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
I been playing a lot of HUT this year I enjoy the mode. I have always been a major online ranked person but with NHL series and it's slow roster updates I decided to switch over. The only problem is I'm going to spend little to no money in the mode so I grind heavily. Then you get matched up against a person that has spent 200 plus dollars. Ya you still can beat them but you are at a pretty big disadvantage.
Harder to do in Madden...I would argue in Madden it's next to impossible to compete against a guy who has 95+ guys on defense unless you have an offense full of players at the same level....even if the guy sucks....it's made worse when they have the ball because they will pancake block you or throw lo lob streaks that are virtually indefensible with mid teir (85-90 level players that are affordable or attainable w/o paying real money) defenders.
 
# 9 redsox4evur @ 01/19/16 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow2201
While it is a lie, it does take time away from developers that could be spent improving the core aspects of the game
This is another misconception...they have different developers working on different things. Kolbe and his crew doesn't touch art, MUT, play now, general gameplay, etc. They work solely on CFM and improving that.
 
# 10 Vermin @ 01/20/16 09:21 AM
I try to field the worst team I can out of the cards I have acquired while completing solo challenges. I save the good players for once the challenge increases to the point I need them. This allows me to burn through contracts on low-calibre players and save up tons of contracts to use only on the best players later.

I'm currently sitting on a best-lineup team ranked 84, while my on-field lineup is a whopping 61. I still have been winning all the solos that I enter, and have stockpiled nearly 700 games worth of contracts to use later.
 
# 11 bwright25 @ 01/20/16 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattuf1
These modes have ruined sports games for me.
And I think it completely changed the lanscape of online sports forever in a good way. You dont have to spend real money on it to enjoy it.
 
# 12 bwright25 @ 01/20/16 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright25
And I think it completely changed the lanscape of online sports forever in a good way. You dont have to spend real money on it to enjoy it.
You get to build a team the way you like it and compete against other users. It mixes fantasy sports, real life updates, stock market, card collecting, pack opening and sports video gamse into a dopamine burst.

LOVE IT!!!!
 
# 13 dj Kobe 09 @ 01/20/16 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
I've taken the "earn it" approach for Madden 16. I will say that I have gotten to the point where the cost of upgrading a position has exceeded my willingness to grind it out. When your team hits around 88 overall the price of upgrading a position is around 50k+...it takes a long time and a lot of grinding to get that kind of coinage and quit frankly, I'm not willing to grind it out so this mode is essentially dead to me other than me just playing season games for funsies...the building aspect is essentially over as I have no intention of spending real money. I've since switched to online ranked games and have found that to be more fun as the games are more balanced and more competitive (for the most part).
I use to have the same problem until I tried the large quicksell. It only takes badges (no elite badges) and u can get up to a million coins.. I ended up with 400k my first try... also if your good at Madden u can still beat the scrubs with 95+ players.. my highest player is 90 and I rarely struggle vs the better teams.
 
# 14 misterkrabz @ 01/20/16 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj Kobe 09
I use to have the same problem until I tried the large quicksell. It only takes badges (no elite badges) and u can get up to a million coins.. I ended up with 400k my first try... also if your good at Madden u can still beat the scrubs with 95+ players.. my highest player is 90 and I rarely struggle vs the better teams.
gave up on the latge quick sell...have attempted it at least a half dozen times and never got more than 5k...i've essentially spent 150k worth of badges on the large quick sell have have gotten about 10k in return.
 
# 15 wickboydread @ 01/22/16 12:18 PM
i don't play Ultimate team much but when i do i prefer to earn my cards or buy them off auction. Adds all more excitement merely cause of the "unknown" when opening the next pack.
 
# 16 jack1535 @ 01/26/16 11:16 AM
I played Ultimate team in NHL 11, the first year it came out. After a week I did not touch it again until this year in NHL 16. I don't know what it is but I am loving it this year. In total I have spent $9 in real money and that was for a 12 player only All Star game pack. I 100% regret it because the best player I got was an 86 OVR and the 11 others I auctioned off. So I spent $9 for one player essentially.

I am currently in Division 3 with a online record of 53-47-10 (58-48-11 if you include offline games). So through only spending $9 and the rest coins I have built a 4 star team with a top line of all 88 ovr players. Right now I'm building up my second line and defensive core. I do not plan to spend anymore real cash

I have played some people with amazing players who are horrible at the game. I recently played a guy whose 3rd line (yes third) was Kane Toews Perry. His top line was Crosby Malkin Stamkos and 2nd line was Pavel Bure Mike Madano and I can't remember the RW. So basically about 1.5 million coins and I beat him 3-2.

I have also lost and been destroyed to some people with an equal or lessor team who are just better. So overall I have had a lot of fun and don't believe the mode is unbalanced in NHL as it really comes down to simply how good you are at the game.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.