Home
NHL 16 News Post


EA Sports has released their NHL 16 player ratings for the top 10 centers in the game, along with screenshots of each one of them in action.

The team looked at puck skills, senses, shooting, defense, skating, and physicality when deciding their overall rating. Check them out below and post your thoughts.

1. Sidney Crosby (Overall Rating - 96)
2. Jonathan Toews (Overall Rating - 94)
3. Steven Stamkos (Overall Rating - 93)
4. Pavel Datsyuk (Overall Rating - 93)
5. John Tavares (Overall Rating - 92)
6. Evgeni Malkin (Overall Rating - 92)
7. Anze Kopitar (Overall Rating - 92)
8. Henrik Zetterberg (Overall Rating - 92)
9. Ryan Getzlaf (Overall Rating - 91)
10. Tyler Seguin (Overall Rating - 91)

Previously released NHL 16 player ratings:

NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 CrazyBruin12 @ 09/01/15 04:44 PM
I don't know how ea rates the player because no Bergeron no Giroux and no backstrom
Giroux has more points than anyone in the last 5 years
Bergeron is one of the best two way players in the league if his defense is not as good as Toews because ea must not know hockey because Bergeron is tied for the second most selke of all time and toews has only 1 so the defensive rating should be the same
 
# 2 AdamJones113 @ 09/01/15 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBruin12
I don't know how ea rates the player because no Bergeron no Giroux and no backstrom
Giroux has more points than anyone in the last 5 years
Bergeron is one of the best two way players in the league if his defense is not as good as Toews because ea must not know hockey because Bergeron is tied for the second most selke of all time and toews has only 1 so the defensive rating should be the same
Bergeron also has a 91. Giroux is a 90.
 
# 3 azy19 @ 09/01/15 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Bergeron also has a 91. Giroux is a 90.
How do you know?
 
# 4 AdamJones113 @ 09/01/15 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azy19
How do you know?
All ratings, from 96 down to all the 90s, were put on Reddit by an unverified user... who was 100% accurate. No reason to believe the other two players weren't as well.
 
# 5 Simple Mathematics @ 09/01/15 05:41 PM
Some more questionable decisions here. Being a roster maker myself, I disagree with a bunch. But everyone has their own opinion when it comes to ratings. It is impossible to please everybody.

For the forwards in the revamped rosters, I start by rating players purely based off of points. Then I make adjustments to those ratings based off of defensive ability and physicality. Then I apply individual attributes based off of stats and scouting reports. 99% of the time their actual overall falls within 2 overall points of my projected overall I assigned them, so I just leave it so I don't give boosts or reductions just to get to an arbitrary overall number.


save_us.revamped
 
# 6 Fiddy @ 09/01/15 05:56 PM
I just honestly believe there are too many ratings that go into every player. A simple grade scale would be best just like one of the old NFL Fevers or AP2K, forget which game had it.

Rate each player type A through F. Add more player types if need be and have at it.

Heck, how about they allow us to edit rosters on a computer program that we can import into the game via cloud or something.
 
# 7 CrazyBruin12 @ 09/01/15 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Some more questionable decisions here. Being a roster maker myself, I disagree with a bunch. But everyone has their own opinion when it comes to ratings. It is impossible to please everybody.

For the forwards in the revamped rosters, I start by rating players purely based off of points. Then I make adjustments to those ratings based off of defensive ability and physicality. Then I apply individual attributes based off of stats and scouting reports. 99% of the time their actual overall falls within 2 overall points of my projected overall I assigned them, so I just leave it so I don't give boosts or reductions just to get to an arbitrary overall number.


save_us.revamped
See it hard to rate Patrice Bergeron rating because he does not get no more than 65 points but he is the one of the best defensive player in the nhl and thats why he wins the selke all most every year
 
# 8 Simple Mathematics @ 09/01/15 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBruin12
See it hard to rate Patrice Bergeron rating because he does not get no more than 65 points but he is the one of the best defensive player in the nhl and thats why he wins the selke all most every year
I agree. But EA's ratings are skewed towards offensive ability. So for my rosters, I wouldn't inflate Bergeron's offensive abilities just to give him a higher overall. That would cause his point totals in BaGM to be unrealistically high and I don't want that. I'm looking for complete realism.

Bergeron would receive a 99 or 98 in defensive awareness and stick checking from me though.
 
# 9 Saint Iscah @ 09/01/15 07:22 PM
I understand everyone having issues w/ the ratings but the question is "what can complaining do about it?"

You can never have a player rating everyone will agree with.
 
# 10 BearishRiggs @ 09/01/15 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I agree. But EA's ratings are skewed towards offensive ability. So for my rosters, I wouldn't inflate Bergeron's offensive abilities just to give him a higher overall. That would cause his point totals in BaGM to be unrealistically high and I don't want that. I'm looking for complete realism.

Bergeron would receive a 99 or 98 in defensive awareness and stick checking from me though.
Honestly, I think the problem is the offensive and defensive awareness stats. Def. awareness specifically is jacked way up for a lot of guys just to boost their overall up. When I edited my 15 rosters and based everyone off an average starting point of 75, it really showed in the final overalls, especially for guys who suck defensively.
 
# 11 headzapp @ 09/02/15 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Iscah
I understand everyone having issues w/ the ratings but the question is "what can complaining do about it?"

You can never have a player rating everyone will agree with.
That's why I'd like to get rid of the ratings and just use stats. How many times to people make trades (in be a gm) and go for a 85 player over a 84? It would be fun to just look at their stats and make your judgement on that.
 
# 12 adayinthelife @ 09/02/15 11:27 AM
Just looking at the list I was going to say that Getz should be higher... but then noticed that everyone is bunched up as far as their actual overall is concerned.

Do we have any proof as to why this series has such a rating clog? I remember some guys being rated in the 40's at least back in the SNES/Genesis days. Is it an NHLPA issue?
 
# 13 Gangrel @ 09/02/15 11:33 AM
It's that the ratings don't scale to all the leagues. So an nhler who's 70 would be worse than a junior who's 71. Since they cover a wide variety of leagues with just one system, they are kinda painted in a corner.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
 
# 14 Nolan8300 @ 09/02/15 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

EA Sports has released their NHL 16 player ratings for the top 10 centers in the game, along with screenshots of each one of them in action.

The team looked at puck skills, senses, shooting, defense, skating, and physicality when deciding their overall rating. Check them out below and post your thoughts.

1. Sidney Crosby (Overall Rating - 96)
2. Jonathan Toews (Overall Rating - 94)
3. Steven Stamkos (Overall Rating - 93)
4. Pavel Datsyuk (Overall Rating - 93)
5. John Tavares (Overall Rating - 92)
6. Evgeni Malkin (Overall Rating - 92)
7. Anze Kopitar (Overall Rating - 92)
8. Henrik Zetterberg (Overall Rating - 92)
9. Ryan Getzlaf (Overall Rating - 91)
10. Tyler Seguin (Overall Rating - 91)

Previously released NHL 16 player ratings:
Datsyuks ahead of Tavares? Zetterberg ahead of Getzlaf and Seguin!? I see EA is still terrible at rating players.
 
# 15 Nolan8300 @ 09/02/15 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel
It's that the ratings don't scale to all the leagues. So an nhler who's 70 would be worse than a junior who's 71. Since they cover a wide variety of leagues with just one system, they are kinda painted in a corner.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
So make the junior player in the 40-50 range, really not that hard to do.
 
# 16 Gangrel @ 09/02/15 12:12 PM
And when you play a junior game, they move at half speed?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
 
# 17 Moose24x @ 09/02/15 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel
And when you play a junior game, they move at half speed?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

In theory, that's what a stat like poise should be for. This is where EA really messed up. Look at this simplified example:

Player A - 25 Years Old
Speed: 88
Acceleration: 86
Checking: 82
Slap Power: 87
Slap Accuracy: 83
Wrist Power: 88
Wrist Accuracy: 85
Strength: 83
Balance: 85
Deking: 85
Off Awareness: 86
Def Awareness: 82
Poise: 87
OVERALL: 86

Player A - 17 Years Old
Speed: 86
Acceleration: 84
Checking: 78
Slap Power: 86
Slap Accuracy: 80
Wrist Power: 86
Wrist Accuracy: 81
Strength: 80
Balance: 83
Deking: 83
Off Awareness: 84
Def Awareness: 79
Poise: 70
OVERALL: 74

Same player, 8 years apart in his development. Physical stats haven't changed TOO much, though they have improved. His poise has evolved the most and that is weighted much more heavily, thus improving his overall significantly. Poise acts as a multiplier on the value of the other attributes. There are 17 year olds in the OHL that are faster than NHLers. Some have better hands. Some shoot harder than many NHLers. It's their level of experience and competition they've performed against that separates them. So 17 points of poise result in a 12 point overall increase even though individual attributes have only gone up by 2-3 each. This way all leagues play realistically but the NHL has the highest average poise. This also makes room for highly skilled players who aren't strong/consistent performers as we often see in the NHL. They have the attributes in the right places but lack the poise. Poise could be seen as a maturity/consistency rating.
 
# 18 AdamJones113 @ 09/02/15 01:41 PM
Excellent post there Moose! Referring back to what I've brainstormed about ratings, intangible ratings (such as Poise and Awareness) need to start low for most players and go up. Only the top CHL prospects should have NHL-level IQ.

Poise is an unexplained, messed up rating. Henrik Lundqvist (excellent in Game 7s) has less poise than Sergei Bobrovsky (terrible career playoff stats). That's just an example of what Poise could be, but isn't.

Great post!
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.