Home
NHL 16 News Post


EA Sports has released their NHL 16 player ratings for the top 10 goalies in the game, along with screenshots of each one of them in action.

The team looked at a goalie's reflexes, puck control, and athletic ability when deciding their overall rating. Check them out below and post your thoughts.

1. Carey Price - (Overall Rating - 94)
2. Henrik Lundqvist - (Overall Rating - 93)
3. Jonathan Quick - (Overall Rating - 93)
4. Tuukka Rask - (Overall Rating - 92)
5. Pekka Rinne - (Overall Rating - 92)
6. Braden Holtby - (Overall Rating - 91)
7. Sergei Bobrovsky - (Overall Rating - 90)
8. Cory Schneider - (Overall Rating - 90)
9. Semyon Varlamov - (Overall Rating - 89)
10. Frederik Andersen - (Overall Rating - 89)

NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Don Jon @ 08/28/15 03:53 PM
Smh.... There's a 4 point gap between Carey Price, and Cory Schneider?!

F.O.U.R!!!

The rating scale is so small it's ridiculous. If my real life self was in the game I'd be a 72 ovr. And I can't even skate. It's like EA are afraid to hurt anyone's feelings, so they give everyone a 80+ rating. And people wonder why all teams play the same. Smh

I'm know I'm a homer, but the Lightning beat the top two goalies on this list in the playoffs last year. Big Ben deserves to be up there.
 
# 2 willyfantastic @ 08/28/15 04:23 PM
NHL have completely screwed up their rating system for this game if 5 points out of 100 differentiates between the top 10 goalies in a league of 30 teams
 
# 3 Moose24x @ 08/28/15 06:46 PM
Also Andersen being an 89 is a joke. And the goalies look exactly the same as ever. Stiff and awkward.
 
# 4 BigMacAttack22 @ 08/28/15 07:25 PM
Man, that is really not a big gap. I wonder how things look as we move out of the top-10.

For anyone else who doesn't like the ratings, what would you say a bottom-end, average, starting, and superstar goalies overall should be?
 
# 5 jyoung @ 08/28/15 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacAttack22
Man, that is really not a big gap. I wonder how things look as we move out of the top-10.
The lowest rated starting goalie in NHL 15 was Buffalo's Chad Johnson at an 82 overall. But after him, the next lowest rating was an 84 overall for Edmonton's duo of Fasth and Scrivens. Then after those two, there are several people rated at 85 overall (too many to list). Lundqvist, Price, and Quick were the highest rated goalies in the game at 93 overall.

So NHL 15 only had an 8-point ratings spread separating 28 of the game's 30 starting goalies.

This trend doesn't seem to be changing for NHL 16, based on where they've rated the top 10 guys. I hope I'm wrong. There should be significantly more separation in the starting goalie ratings.
 
# 6 Moose24x @ 08/28/15 08:11 PM
How I would do it, if I could have the ratings my way (and will probably spend damn near 2 months working on ratings throughout the game so I can play a few seasons of GM this way):

Price - 96
Lundqvist - 95
Quick - 93
Rinne - 92
Holtby - 91
Rask - 90
Bobrovsky - 89
Schneider - 89
Varlamov - 89
Bishop - 87
Luongo - 87
Crawford - 86
Fleury - 86
Miller -86
Mason - 86
Andersen - 85
Halak - 85
Ward - 85
Anderson - 85
Howard - 85
Lehtonen - 85
Dubnyk - 85
Hiller - 85
Bernier - 84
Talbot - 84
Elliot - 84
Smith - 83
Lehner - 82
Jones - 82
Pavelec - 82

Something like that, without doing any research to adjust and fine tune my rankings.
 
# 7 CaptainSuperman @ 08/28/15 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyfantastic
NHL have completely screwed up their rating system for this game if 5 points out of 100 differentiates between the top 10 goalies in a league of 30 teams
Everyone complaining doesn't seem to understand the rating system. It isn't there to differentiate and put a giant gap between the best NHL goalies and the worst NHL goalies, the rating system isn't for NHL players, but for any hockey player ever. Yes, I am exhausted like the rest of you with how similar every team and player plays, but that has less to do with the ratings and more to do with missing features (see Eastside Hockey Manager and the ability to select personal tactics for every player)

No, I'm not defending Schneider being rated as high as he is, but people are raging about a 5 point OVR difference, when we should all know by now OVR means nothing. Not only that, but there's diminishing returns when you get so good at a single skill, so while the OVR is only a 5 point difference, actually looking at the stats tells a more detailed story.

So whoever said if they were a goalie in NHL and would be rated 72 OVR, stop kidding yourself. Schneider is still a professional goalie, as is every goalie in the league. I would hope even the worst goalies in the league are still rated as highly, because yes! They are still pros! If the worst goalie is to be a 70 OVR, what would the best AHL goalie be? The worst? The best and worst junior players? High school? The best forum goalie?
 
# 8 CaptainSuperman @ 08/28/15 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
How I would do it, if I could have the ratings my way (and will probably spend damn near 2 months working on ratings throughout the game so I can play a few seasons of GM this way):

Price - 96
Lundqvist - 95
Quick - 93
Rinne - 92
Holtby - 91
Rask - 90
Bobrovsky - 89
Schneider - 89
Varlamov - 89
Bishop - 87
Luongo - 87
Crawford - 86
Fleury - 86
Miller -86
Mason - 86
Andersen - 85
Halak - 85
Ward - 85
Anderson - 85
Howard - 85
Lehtonen - 85
Dubnyk - 85
Hiller - 85
Bernier - 84
Talbot - 84
Elliot - 84
Smith - 83
Lehner - 82
Jones - 82
Pavelec - 82

Something like that, without doing any research to adjust and fine tune my rankings.
So you would adjust stats just to meet a certain OVR? Even if that meant, say, giving Pevelec a rating boost in many categories, just to meet that 82 OVR? Or possibly dumb him down, because maybe just naturally and accurately doing his stats makes him higher than your proposed 82?
 
# 9 snc237 @ 08/28/15 11:41 PM
I also think part of the problems are all the legues. Take The WHL for example they have 16 year olds on the roster. So they are 46 Overall. The NHL goalies are the best in the world but do to you have AHL goalies in the 70s and then poor Europe teams in the 60s then the young guns below that there really isn't a lot of room left to have NHL goalies with massive ratings differences when comparing them to the other leagues. It's also not just as easy to say make the young guys 20 overall and adjust all other leagues because those guys aren't that useless. If this was just an NHL game only im sure we wouldn't see everything this close together.
 
# 10 Moose24x @ 08/29/15 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
I also think part of the problems are all the legues. Take The WHL for example they have 16 year olds on the roster. So they are 46 Overall. The NHL goalies are the best in the world but do to you have AHL goalies in the 70s and then poor Europe teams in the 60s then the young guns below that there really isn't a lot of room left to have NHL goalies with massive ratings differences when comparing them to the other leagues. It's also not just as easy to say make the young guys 20 overall and adjust all other leagues because those guys aren't that useless. If this was just an NHL game only im sure we wouldn't see everything this close together.

But it is an NHL game and I don't understand who they owe something to. Why can't kids in the CHL all be in the 40s, Euro leagues in the 60s with their stars standing out, etc.? It's all about egos apparently, otherwise I'm confused as to why they aren't "allowed" to utilize the full rating scale. I mean, why don't they just rate everyone 1-10 in this case? I'd rather have a great NHL game with the AHL and not have the Euro leagues, or even the CHL, if they'd be too offended to offer their license unless their players are rated a certain way. In the end it's an NHL title. That's the main attraction.
 
# 11 ComaFaction @ 08/29/15 03:09 AM
I thought 2K's approach to ratings was really cool this year, mind you they have only one league to consider and can use legends as baseline because they actually include a sizeable amount of legacy players.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
# 12 jake19ny @ 08/29/15 06:42 AM
This isn't justva goalie issue as many of you know. The ratings have always been out of touch but have really gotten worse over the past few releases. I don't think it's because EA has no clue it's being done by design. With much of the emphasize being on online play these days EA wants a level playing field for all. They have even incorporated that idea into this years EASHL with the pre builds. EA wants anyone to be able to pick up the game, go online, select any team, and be able to compete with all four lines and a solid goalie. Imagine if the Sabres team really resembled the abysmal season they had and you played online against an equal skilled guy who play with the Lightning. Your most likely going to lose the majority of the games....so you just would not choose to be the Sabres. As it is now if I jump online there are only 5-6 teams everyone uses. In the end every team ends up being and playing the same. Us offline sim junkies continue, and will continue to be left in the cold.
 
# 13 Simple Mathematics @ 08/29/15 06:56 AM
There is a possibility I may have one last trick up my sleeve to get the Revamped Rosters in everyone's hands. Stay tuned.
 
# 14 Vermin @ 08/29/15 09:07 AM
What? No Petr Mrazek?
 
# 15 jake19ny @ 08/29/15 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
There is a possibility I may have one last trick up my sleeve to get the Revamped Rosters in everyone's hands. Stay tuned.
That would be quite awesome...
 
# 16 brianski71 @ 08/29/15 01:37 PM
I'm glad they rate players based on reputation and not, you know, how they've actually played recently. Fleury not being in the top 10 is beyond laughable.
 
# 17 AdamJones113 @ 08/29/15 03:17 PM
... Nah.

What scale are they basing these on? Based off a scale of all the goalies in game, there should be more separation between Price and Andersen; Price rated higher if he's the absolute best goalie in the game. Is it based on all-time goalies? But then it's more than hard to justify Andersen at an 89.

What it seems like is that there's a formula that takes a goalie's stats into account and then is refigured to get the desired overall number/order. I'd love to see an in-depth explanation of how ratings work and how they're established, but that's a faint hope.

The bottom line? Same old, same old.
 
# 18 Gangrel @ 08/29/15 04:40 PM
They are rated by a scout apparently. So blame whoever that is.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
 
# 19 actionhank @ 08/30/15 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
Everyone complaining doesn't seem to understand the rating system. It isn't there to differentiate and put a giant gap between the best NHL goalies and the worst NHL goalies, the rating system isn't for NHL players, but for any hockey player ever. Yes, I am exhausted like the rest of you with how similar every team and player plays, but that has less to do with the ratings and more to do with missing features (see Eastside Hockey Manager and the ability to select personal tactics for every player)

No, I'm not defending Schneider being rated as high as he is, but people are raging about a 5 point OVR difference, when we should all know by now OVR means nothing. Not only that, but there's diminishing returns when you get so good at a single skill, so while the OVR is only a 5 point difference, actually looking at the stats tells a more detailed story.

So whoever said if they were a goalie in NHL and would be rated 72 OVR, stop kidding yourself. Schneider is still a professional goalie, as is every goalie in the league. I would hope even the worst goalies in the league are still rated as highly, because yes! They are still pros! If the worst goalie is to be a 70 OVR, what would the best AHL goalie be? The worst? The best and worst junior players? High school? The best forum goalie?
But, even in past games, not only were their individual ratings not far apart, they didn't seem to matter.

Every goalie plays the same, regardless of ratings. There might be a slight edge, but I could easily put in my AHL backup, and he'd do just fine on my NHL team, because goalies all pretty much move and play the same.

The ratings themselves don't matter, because they have such a minute affect on gameplay.
 
# 20 CaptainSuperman @ 08/30/15 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
But, even in past games, not only were their individual ratings not far apart, they didn't seem to matter.

Every goalie plays the same, regardless of ratings. There might be a slight edge, but I could easily put in my AHL backup, and he'd do just fine on my NHL team, because goalies all pretty much move and play the same.

The ratings themselves don't matter, because they have such a minute affect on gameplay.
It's not that the ratings don't matter, it's just that ratings can only do and represent so much. There might be two guys in the league who probably are just as skilled in every category, so in the game they will be represented as so, and because the only tool they have is ratings, they will play the same. And guys with slightly better stats and slightly lower stats will play the same, regardless if they are 20/30 goal scorers or Selke finalists every year in real life.

Like I touched on earlier in my OP, they should look to Eastside Hockey Manager's ability to set individual line tactics as well as personal tactics for each and every player. This way, it's not just a crap shoot to see any player with a high ahoy rating reach 30/40 goals, its also about which players are TOLD to shoot more, play less defense, be more patient, etc. It's the next logical step, 'okay we have the ratings, but what do we do with them?'
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.