Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post


Over on our YouTube channel, I took a deeper look at penalties in Madden NFL 16. Penalties are a focus in the game this season, so I tweaked the new penalty sliders and played a game to see what results came about. In the end, Joe Flacco is definitely the star of the show.

It's also fair to confirm that the penalty sliders work. Simply moving them plus-10 impacted the game in a major way. I would say be very careful when tweaking these sliders.

(Note: If you head to YouTube and check out the full description below the video, you will find time stamps for each penalty in the game. If you click a time stamp, it will take you right to that exact penalty.)

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 23 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Steve_OS @ 08/25/15 08:51 AM
"Spikes his own head into the turf". LMAO
 
# 2 Nomah5 @ 08/25/15 09:44 AM
Flacco took some lessons from the Brady school of diving. ☺
 
# 3 Brandwin @ 08/25/15 09:51 AM
Bumped up to 60 in a few games and I've seen a nice variety of penalties. Especially some nice defensive pass interference calls.
 
# 4 leathrneck34 @ 08/25/15 09:53 AM
It's great to see penalties actually being called and other than facemask the animations are of a wide variety and look good, if only in weird locations on the field. Wold still like to see more variations of penalties called per game.

I know in the games I have played on 6 min quarters I have seen false starts, offsides ( called against CPU and User ), facemask, Def PI, Def Holding, Unsportsman like conduct, lots of holding when turned up like in the vid, and even on +5 block in the back is pretty frequent. Facemask, holding, block in the back, and roughing are still the majority of calls though.
 
# 5 bcruise @ 08/25/15 09:54 AM
Has anyone seen an OPI yet?

Anyway, this is good stuff Chase, thanks for the vid. I wonder if some of the penalties might even need to go down below 50 for a 120-play game. I don't think I've ever turned a penalty slider down below 50 in Madden, even in the PS2 days.
 
# 6 jb12780 @ 08/25/15 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Has anyone seen an OPI yet?

Anyway, this is good stuff Chase, thanks for the vid. I wonder if some of the penalties might even need to go down below 50 for a 120-play game.
I haven't seen OPI yet. There isn't a number value to the slider it's just on or off.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
# 7 ninertravel @ 08/25/15 10:07 AM
Do you think the awareness stat has something to do with why a player can give away more penalties then another one? I say Lower rated OL players seem to give penalties away more
 
# 8 bcruise @ 08/25/15 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
Do you think the awareness stat has something to do with why a player can give away more penalties then another one? I say Lower rated OL players seem to give penalties away more
There's a new penalty trait this year that probably affects the frequency far more than anything else. Based on that video, I'd assume Shazier probably has that trait.
 
# 9 jcmreds @ 08/25/15 11:37 AM
Those roughing the passer penalties were embarrassing.
 
# 10 87Birdman @ 08/25/15 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Has anyone seen an OPI yet?

Anyway, this is good stuff Chase, thanks for the vid. I wonder if some of the penalties might even need to go down below 50 for a 120-play game. I don't think I've ever turned a penalty slider down below 50 in Madden, even in the PS2 days.
In the 5 games I have played on default all pro I've seen one pi and it was offensive pi against the computer. most flags I've seen have been holing or offsides (all from me jumping on a hard count).

So I plan on bumping a few of these up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
 
# 11 CM Hooe @ 08/25/15 12:04 PM
Based on my experience in E3 (I haven't tried this with the retail yet), if you max out the penalty sliders, you will see the penalty yards basically quadruple compared to what this video presents and the game will become hilariously unplayable, lol. The sliders do work and their effects are very obvious.

Also worth reminding people that (also from my conversations with Clint about penalties at E3) CPU-initiated penalties do not trigger in online head-to-head, Draft Champions, or Ultimate Team. User-initiated penalties can still happen in these modes, and all penalties can be triggered by user or CPU in Play Now and Connected Franchise (regardless of online / offline / one player / head-to-head in CFM).

Finally (also from my talking to Clint at E3), at the default slider levels (50), there are caps in the game which will prevent the CPU from triggering a particular penalty once it has been called some set amount of times in the game. This was done to minimize frustration with penalties for the average user. If you increase these sliders to any level above 50, these caps turn off and there will be no hard-and-fast limit on the number of times a penalty will be called in a game. As such it may be advisable for anyone on this forum to play with the penalty sliders set to at least 51.

Hats off to Chase for a great breakdown of the penalties as they play out in-game, by the way. The roughing the passer penalties were simultaneously hilarious and infuriating with all the flopping going on, haha.
 
# 12 BadAssHskr @ 08/25/15 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As such it may be advisable for anyone on this forum to play with the penalty sliders set to at least 51.

I like where you're coming from here.
 
# 13 Sheba2011 @ 08/25/15 12:47 PM
I have played about 6 games so far and have been experiencing with them set between 50-60, I think 52/53 is the sweet spot for most penalties. I left Roughing the Passer as is because if not you get too many dives. But it is refreshing to see long drives called back as a result of holding or PI. The only thing I don't see much of is OPI, I have seen one in 6 games, although in today's real NFL that seems about right lol.
 
# 14 loadedlux @ 08/25/15 12:56 PM
It seems as though you could cheese with the receiver and keep drawing PI penalties...
 
# 15 bcruise @ 08/25/15 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadedlux
It seems as though you could cheese with the receiver and keep drawing PI penalties...
Maybe against the CPU with the setting on 60. Not online H2H. Penalties aren't called with the same frequency there.

If you want to cheese the CPU that's your prerogative.
 
# 16 TheBleedingRed21 @ 08/25/15 02:10 PM
CM, I about threw this phone out the window after reading no penalties head to head by CPU until you said it works in CFM. Lol.

Scared me! Can't wait to have prayer bombs go my way because of DPI
 
# 17 ChaseB @ 08/25/15 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Has anyone seen an OPI yet?

Anyway, this is good stuff Chase, thanks for the vid. I wonder if some of the penalties might even need to go down below 50 for a 120-play game. I don't think I've ever turned a penalty slider down below 50 in Madden, even in the PS2 days.
I haven't had one yet in any of my games, but a couple users below have at least gotten one.

Thanks for the kind words though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomah5
Flacco took some lessons from the Brady school of diving. ☺
Joe Flacco is ELITE at everything. He's the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathrneck34
It's great to see penalties actually being called and other than facemask the animations are of a wide variety and look good, if only in weird locations on the field. Wold still like to see more variations of penalties called per game.

I know in the games I have played on 6 min quarters I have seen false starts, offsides ( called against CPU and User ), facemask, Def PI, Def Holding, Unsportsman like conduct, lots of holding when turned up like in the vid, and even on +5 block in the back is pretty frequent. Facemask, holding, block in the back, and roughing are still the majority of calls though.
To your point about weird locations of penalties, yeah I thought it was odd offensive holding was really only happening on short runs where there were big piles, but again, sample size etc.

Also it's cool you have seen the Unsportsmanlike Conduct, haven't gotten that one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
I haven't seen OPI yet. There isn't a number value to the slider it's just on or off.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Yeah I mention this in the video, but it's really odd to me that there is no sliders, and it's just a switch for OPI. It almost feels like they left space to make it a slider but just didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Birdman
In the 5 games I have played on default all pro I've seen one pi and it was offensive pi against the computer. most flags I've seen have been holing or offsides (all from me jumping on a hard count).

So I plan on bumping a few of these up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Wild to me that you've had just one PI and it was offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmreds
Those roughing the passer penalties were embarrassing.
Yeah, I mean again proof for sure the slider works. But still, those animations are the best and the worst all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Based on my experience in E3 (I haven't tried this with the retail yet), if you max out the penalty sliders, you will see the penalty yards basically quadruple compared to what this video presents and the game will become hilariously unplayable, lol. The sliders do work and their effects are very obvious.

Also worth reminding people that (also from my conversations with Clint about penalties at E3) CPU-initiated penalties do not trigger in online head-to-head, Draft Champions, or Ultimate Team. User-initiated penalties can still happen in these modes, and all penalties can be triggered by user or CPU in Play Now and Connected Franchise (regardless of online / offline / one player / head-to-head in CFM).

Finally (also from my talking to Clint at E3), at the default slider levels (50), there are caps in the game which will prevent the CPU from triggering a particular penalty once it has been called some set amount of times in the game. This was done to minimize frustration with penalties for the average user. If you increase these sliders to any level above 50, these caps turn off and there will be no hard-and-fast limit on the number of times a penalty will be called in a game. As such it may be advisable for anyone on this forum to play with the penalty sliders set to at least 51.

Hats off to Chase for a great breakdown of the penalties as they play out in-game, by the way. The roughing the passer penalties were simultaneously hilarious and infuriating with all the flopping going on, haha.
Great details here CM, and thanks for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
I have played about 6 games so far and have been experiencing with them set between 50-60, I think 52/53 is the sweet spot for most penalties. I left Roughing the Passer as is because if not you get too many dives. But it is refreshing to see long drives called back as a result of holding or PI. The only thing I don't see much of is OPI, I have seen one in 6 games, although in today's real NFL that seems about right lol.
Yeah I mean the defense is gonna get nailed far more often than the offense for PI I agree there, but still maybe a trend is developing that it's a little too hard to get offensive PI.
 
# 18 Hova57 @ 08/25/15 02:59 PM
Son had a false start on rb..pretty clutch

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
 
# 19 T5063 @ 08/25/15 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daringerinc
Have anyone else noticed that during online Head to Head games, the referees aren't on the field?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has to be fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by daringerinc
I noticed that online head to head games to not have referees on field! This has to be fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why would you post this twice in one thread. There is a 'bugs' thread for stuff like this
 
# 20 BL8001 @ 08/25/15 03:26 PM
If the penalties have animations that accompany them, which is cool of course and how it should be...

Does that mean if you lowered penalties to 0 the penalty animations would still occur but not be called?

Meaning with holding at 60 and above the CPU could go into the holding animation but not get away with it.

But on 0 everything they could have the hold, facemask, block in the back, etc animations but not have it called?
 

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.