Home
NHL 16 News Post



In the latest NHL 16 video, Associate Producer Andy Agostini talks about the innovations made to Be a GM and Player Morale. Below are some notes from the blog, but click here to read all about it.
  • Being a GM in NHL 16 is about more than just getting the best players, it’s about getting the right players to play well together. Every player on an NHL or AHL team has a unique personality that you will have to manage. Deal with trade demands, teammate relationships, and much more by calling team meetings or adjusting your roster to directly affect your team’s on-ice performance.
  • Every player in our game features a personality type upon entry into the league or when created for the first time (in the case of generated rookies for the Entry Draft). Each personality type includes a number of traits that impact how they react to certain events. Finding the right balance of players with the right traits and personalities can give your players boosts to their ratings and model a harmonious locker room.
  • It is possible for a player to have ‘Best Locker Room Chemistry’ with a player on another team. It is important to keep in mind player relationships and who they have ‘High Locker Room Chemistry’ and ‘Low Locker Room Chemistry’ with on the team. For example, if you trade or demote a player that Henrik Sedin has high chemistry with, it may negatively impact his player morale and overall rating.
  • Every player's personality is different. Certain personalities will be happier if the team is winning and won’t put much stock in the makeup of the locker room. Other personality types will put more priority on locker room harmony morale and care less about the decisions that the team may make, such as who they may sign, release or send down to the AHL.
  • This year also introduces ‘Team Meetings’ into the mode, which allows the user to interact with the team based on almost 30 different key events that can happen to a team in a season, such as being on a winning streak, playing a rival, or facing elimination in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Each of the Team Meetings, and the speech you choose to give to the players based on that meeting will impact the players on the team based on their personality type and the situation. As a result of each Team Meeting, every player on the team will consider the situation they were in and how you spoke to them, which will impact their morale and overall rating. Learning what to say and when, based on the makeup of your locker room will be an important factor in maintaining high morale for your players.
  • There are also Player Meetings you can have with players. There are over 20 different specific conversations you can have, ranging on topics from the recent team performance, failing to renew the contract of a teammate, to being made Team Captain. Each conversation may have an impact on personal morale.

NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 bibibanax @ 08/20/15 03:14 PM
So, Kessel is 89 OVR, Toronto over 90... no one, except Arcobello under 80...
 
# 2 onlybygrace @ 08/20/15 03:23 PM
:/

Let me ask an obvious question; how in the HELL do they label which player has which kind of personality? Did they give them all psyche evaluations?

I just don't know, anymore.
 
# 3 AdamJones113 @ 08/20/15 03:25 PM
No, you know what, I'm sorry.

Positives: the individual player chemistry is something to really look forward to. That's a solid addition that, if works well, will make GM mode something. I especially like the "best friend" idea, and it looks like player morale will be affected by in-game performance (though not the other way around, it appears).

When you spend half a trailer showing off sizzle clips and informing us that GM mode has all the great stuff you took out of last year's mode, you get little respect from me. When do team meetings happen?? Is it random?? Who will the draft players' friends be?? Why won't that screw up the system?? We need a deep dive for a mode that has potential to be incredible; we got approximately 40 seconds of new-stuff talk.

Here's my constructive criticism, mods. EA: get someone on here, on THIS forum (we are far more GM-oriented than the EA Forums), and get that person to answer the community's questions. Hell, have the community elect one GM-person (Vikes, actionhank, Simple, Mizzou, Cycloniac, shogun, OBG, bad_philanthropy, matt, nddurst, looking at all you guys and more) to have a couple excellent questions to ask, and have the devs answer that person's questions.

EA—please, guys. How can I have faith in a mode that got a new component when you spend more time on flair and re-introduction?
 
# 4 BearishRiggs @ 08/20/15 04:01 PM
It's stupid to mention in the grand scheme of things, but I'll be that guy: they didn't even have Scott Harrington as part of the Kessel trade.
 
# 5 actionhank @ 08/20/15 05:20 PM
It's incredibly frustrating that with the way Be a GM has been ignored...this video was essentially 4/5 time spent going "Hey, guys! We've finally put in all of the things we screwed up last year that we said we'd patch into NHL15, but never did." and then a little blurb of "Oh, and we added morale".

Jesus, EA. This isn't Vine. You don't have to make a 1 minute video and cram as much in as possible. Honestly, unless this morale system is mind-blowingly good (and I'm sad to say that with EA's track record...I highly doubt that it will be) NHL16 is almost definitely a no buy, for the 2nd year.

The AI looks the same in everything I've seen, there's been no real talk of how teams handle their players. It pretty much looks like morale is the only thing added to Be a GM, ignoring the features that they put back in that they've had in the game for years now.
 
# 6 Hammettf2b @ 08/20/15 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
No, you know what, I'm sorry.

Positives: the individual player chemistry is something to really look forward to. That's a solid addition that, if works well, will make GM mode something. I especially like the "best friend" idea, and it looks like player morale will be affected by in-game performance (though not the other way around, it appears).

When you spend half a trailer showing off sizzle clips and informing us that GM mode has all the great stuff you took out of last year's mode, you get little respect from me. When do team meetings happen?? Is it random?? Who will the draft players' friends be?? Why won't that screw up the system?? We need a deep dive for a mode that has potential to be incredible; we got approximately 40 seconds of new-stuff talk.

Here's my constructive criticism, mods. EA: get someone on here, on THIS forum (we are far more GM-oriented than the EA Forums), and get that person to answer the community's questions. Hell, have the community elect one GM-person (Vikes, actionhank, Simple, Mizzou, Cycloniac, shogun, OBG, bad_philanthropy, matt, nddurst, looking at all you guys and more) to have a couple excellent questions to ask, and have the devs answer that person's questions.

EA—please, guys. How can I have faith in a mode that got a new component when you spend more time on flair and re-introduction?
I would like to know this as well.
 
# 7 AdamJones113 @ 08/20/15 05:38 PM
So... from the EA Forums... (EXCERPT)



There are four basic ‘Morale Types’ that feed into a player’s Morale, but we only surface the ‘Overall Morale’ to the user. Each Personality type takes % of ‘Team Performance Morale’, and % of ‘Management Morale’ etc to come up with their Overall Morale. Certain Personalities will be happier if the team is winning, and won’t put much stock in the makeup of the locker room. Other personality types will put more priority on locker room harmony morale, and care less about the decisions that a Team may make in who it signs, releases, or sends down to the AHL etc.



Above is a C# tool example of two different player types being presented with similar scenarios, and how their 4 morale types feed into their Overall Morale. The example player on the left is ‘Happy’ with the Team’s Performance, but ‘Unhappy’ with his Individual Performance. He has ‘Neutral’ morale overall, which means he is unlikely to get any boosts to his ratings in the situation he is in. The player on the right of the picture has ‘Amazing’ Team Mate and Management Morale, overall he is ‘Happy’ and he will likely receive some boosts to his abilities as a result. Managing the various morale values of all your players will be a key to victory in NHL 16.

NHL 16 also introduces ‘Team Meetings’ into the mode, which allows the user to interact the team based on almost 30 different key events that can happen to a team in a season, such as being on a winning streak, losing streak, facing off against a heated rival, or facing elimination in the Stanley Cup Finals. Each of the Team Meetings (and the speech you chose to give to the players based on that meeting) will impact the players on the team based on their personality type and the situation.

 
# 8 Don Jon @ 08/20/15 06:10 PM
Yea.... This was kind of weak. Adding to the disappointment is nba 2k's developer diary from yesterday. I have hopes that all my favorite game modes will be that in depth, but there is such a gap between what nhl is offering and that I just don't know anymore.

This game went from a must buy during the lightning playoff run, to a no buy after hearing what they're offering.
 
# 9 Hammettf2b @ 08/20/15 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
So... from the EA Forums... (EXCERPT)



There are four basic ‘Morale Types’ that feed into a player’s Morale, but we only surface the ‘Overall Morale’ to the user. Each Personality type takes % of ‘Team Performance Morale’, and % of ‘Management Morale’ etc to come up with their Overall Morale. Certain Personalities will be happier if the team is winning, and won’t put much stock in the makeup of the locker room. Other personality types will put more priority on locker room harmony morale, and care less about the decisions that a Team may make in who it signs, releases, or sends down to the AHL etc.



Above is a C# tool example of two different player types being presented with similar scenarios, and how their 4 morale types feed into their Overall Morale. The example player on the left is ‘Happy’ with the Team’s Performance, but ‘Unhappy’ with his Individual Performance. He has ‘Neutral’ morale overall, which means he is unlikely to get any boosts to his ratings in the situation he is in. The player on the right of the picture has ‘Amazing’ Team Mate and Management Morale, overall he is ‘Happy’ and he will likely receive some boosts to his abilities as a result. Managing the various morale values of all your players will be a key to victory in NHL 16.

NHL 16 also introduces ‘Team Meetings’ into the mode, which allows the user to interact the team based on almost 30 different key events that can happen to a team in a season, such as being on a winning streak, losing streak, facing off against a heated rival, or facing elimination in the Stanley Cup Finals. Each of the Team Meetings (and the speech you chose to give to the players based on that meeting) will impact the players on the team based on their personality type and the situation.

Like what I'm seeing from this, but am very skeptical on how it actually plays out in the game.

 
# 10 mkilcNYR @ 08/20/15 06:41 PM
Really the only thing I'm excited for is that I can play as my AHL affiliate. Which I can also do on my old 360 with NHL 14. Idk, this is relegated to my "Maybe Buy In December" list. And that's a maybe. If EA doesn't feel comfortable doing player morale then they don't have to. MLB The Show and Madden don't have it and they're both still good playable games. I say that because this seems more like it was thrown in there to appease fans who play 2K and are used to/like a player morale system. I have huge concerns over player morale (like what if my 1st round draft pick is BFF's with a 6th round draft pick who is underperforming and shouldnt even be on my AHL affiliate. If i cut him for good business sense will my star now hate me and play worse?) which currently is making me a wait and see buyer before pulling the trigger
 
# 11 bwiggy33 @ 08/20/15 06:44 PM
How is this going to actually negatively or positively affect a game? Is the negative affect going to have the same effect where the CPU all of a sudden turns god like and ping pong passes all over the ice only to score? If it's actually done properly it could be really good, but I just don't think this is actually going to do anything to the actual gameplay except for force unnatural abilities.

It's so depressing seeing NBA 2k get all of these new additions to their GM mode, and NHL has player morale and that's it. I understand the budgets of the two games but still, it's very annoying. Also the ratings, by god are they awful. There is just no separation at all.
 
# 12 actionhank @ 08/20/15 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
How is this going to actually negatively or positively affect a game? Is the negative affect going to have the same effect where the CPU all of a sudden turns god like and ping pong passes all over the ice only to score? If it's actually done properly it could be really good, but I just don't think this is actually going to do anything to the actual gameplay except for force unnatural abilities.

It's so depressing seeing NBA 2k get all of these new additions to their GM mode, and NHL has player morale and that's it. I understand the budgets of the two games but still, it's very annoying. Also the ratings, by god are they awful. There is just no separation at all.
Honestly (and I could be completely wrong) I don't buy the budgets of development team. The whole thing just seems like a lack of focus on anything offline, or not benefiting online gameplay.

AI, roster sharing, Be a GM. All things that have been largely ignored for years. While they have completely revamped the way EASHL plays, and have daily updates and Facebook posts about HUT. I get that they're going where the money is, but to completely ignore an entire demographic of your fan base is just absurd to me. EA would be better off selling the online portion separately, and giving another team a shot at handling the offline gameplay. As someone else mentioned, things like EASHL aren't even NHL related. They could make that it's own, independent game mode, and people I'm sure would still toss $15 to play it.
 
# 13 onlybygrace @ 08/20/15 07:27 PM
I'm the one who mentioned that they don't even care about the portion of their game actually related to the NHL. They are trying to build their own kingdom and practically completely ignoring the portion of the game that bares the league's trademark.

It's disgraceful, unprofessional, and borderline unethical to piggyback off the NHL and only focus on the EASHL, HUT, portion of the game.

I've pretty much lost faith at this point.
 
# 14 Moose24x @ 08/20/15 07:45 PM
I've said it before. Why don't they just make an online game called EASHL? The EASHL has NOTHING to do with the NHL. Unlike ultimate team, it doesn't even use NHL players. The game, however, is called NHL and, like you said, the parts of the game that actually require that trademark get by far the least attention. How about just making a separate, maybe downloadable, component for your damn EASHL and actually put forth a respectable effort in representing the NHL license that they must have exclusive rights to.
 
# 15 headzapp @ 08/20/15 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
I've said it before. Why don't they just make an online game called EASHL? The EASHL has NOTHING to do with the NHL. Unlike ultimate team, it doesn't even use NHL players. The game, however, is called NHL and, like you said, the parts of the game that actually require that trademark get by far the least attention. How about just making a separate, maybe downloadable, component for your damn EASHL and actually put forth a respectable effort in representing the NHL license that they must have exclusive rights to.
I was just thinking the same thing earlier. I like NHL. I like playing with NHL teams and want the game play as close to real life as possible. I liked what NHL 15 was. I bet with the right sliders this year it will be even better. (Any word if the sliders for the sticks to not pass through players is still in?)

I'm not bashing EA, but what if another company came in and said we are making the most realistic sim hockey game ever, and EA can just push their EASHL and HUT modes. Imagine a MLB The Show version of NHL.

Sorry if that's jumping off the subject of the thread. I can't wait to get this years game and get my gm on.
 
# 16 bwiggy33 @ 08/20/15 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Honestly (and I could be completely wrong) I don't buy the budgets of development team. The whole thing just seems like a lack of focus on anything offline, or not benefiting online gameplay.

AI, roster sharing, Be a GM. All things that have been largely ignored for years. While they have completely revamped the way EASHL plays, and have daily updates and Facebook posts about HUT. I get that they're going where the money is, but to completely ignore an entire demographic of your fan base is just absurd to me. EA would be better off selling the online portion separately, and giving another team a shot at handling the offline gameplay. As someone else mentioned, things like EASHL aren't even NHL related. They could make that it's own, independent game mode, and people I'm sure would still toss $15 to play it.
I actually meant to say staff members not budget. I'm in agreement with you about budgets. I think it's just an excuse for the most part. I do think when it comes to licensing arenas, equipment, NBC, etc. that it comes in to play, but doesn't as far as them adding features that nearly every other game has.
 
# 17 Moose24x @ 08/21/15 12:43 AM
So one thing I saw in that video is that ratings are still HORRIBLE. Anyone want to tell me what Morgan Reilly has done to start the game as an 87? Please? If he's an 87, are Erik Karlsson and Duncan Keith 102-105? Because they sure as **** aren't a mere 3-5 points better than Morgan Reilly right now.
 
# 18 Money99 @ 08/21/15 06:17 AM
It'll be interesting to see how this whole player morale thing will work out.
It's not something I was really clamoring for, but I do appreciate EA's efforts to add a human element to this mode.
And it's certainly a factor in real life as well.
Just yesterday there was an article on Puck Daddy that stated re-signing Stamkos might be harder than one thinks considering Stammer's frosty relationship with John Cooper.
Stamkos does not want to play RW and Cooper (allegedly) doesn't consider Stamkos to be one of his 'soldiers'.

If EA can implement a realistic version of that scenario, it'll make the GM mode a lot more enjoyable.

Saying that, I would have really preferred they used their time to incorporate the various global leagues into GM mode instead.
I'd love to run an OHL team, or a team overseas.
Or how about getting fired and having to find a job in Europe, or the CHL before working your way back to the NHL?
The same could be said for the BAP mode as well.

I'm still intrigued by this new dynamic and will love to see how it affects my team (and others).

P.S. I would LOVE if EA (or anyone else) were able to incorporate phones, tablets, PC's to run your team while not online.
I'd probably kill hours each day making transactions and moves on my phone while at work.
That way, when I got home, I didn't have to spend a lot of time dealing with injuries, line-ups, trades, etc.
Food for thought.
 
# 19 Money99 @ 08/21/15 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
So one thing I saw in that video is that ratings are still HORRIBLE. Anyone want to tell me what Morgan Reilly has done to start the game as an 87? Please? If he's an 87, are Erik Karlsson and Duncan Keith 102-105? Because they sure as **** aren't a mere 3-5 points better than Morgan Reilly right now.
We have to live with this as it's always been this way.
I think it's a combination of EA and the PA's effort to ensure NHL players are always ranked above 80.
Wasn't John Scott an 82 in NHL15?
There are probably 500 pro hockey players - not in the NHL (and some amateurs) - that are better hockey players than him. But because he's in the NHL, he has to be rated in the 80's.
That's my theory anyway.

I've never really cared for an OV rating. What does it even mean? Are all attributes weighted the same?
Will shot blocking be considered equal to shooting accuracy or skating?

And if an 85 felt considerably different than a 90, then it doesn't matter.
But that seems to be the issue. There's hardly any difference in players despite what their ratings are. 77, 88, 91, it all feels and plays the same.
 
# 20 HypoLuxa13 @ 08/21/15 06:59 AM
Well, I still hope for a decent game, but... It really seems like we are seeing the affects of lack of competition for EA. Both NHL and Madden have not seen much useful innovation in years. Regarding budget - Madden sells about 1.5 - 2 million copies the week of release accross all platforms, whereas NHL sells what, 250k copies?

But the Be A Pro mode is something I enjoy, and the improvements to that mode look promising. The different training options look cool. And of course, simming to your next shift is a must. Be A Pro is probably where I'll be spending a lot of time if I do end up purchasing this year's game.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.