Home
NHL 16 News Post


EA Sports has just announced their plans to launch their NHL 16 EASHL beta, starting July 30 until August 6, for Xbox One (including EA Access version) and PlayStation 4 users. If you purchased the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 version and have upgraded to current-gen console, you have a chance to access the beta as well. Look here for the details. The beta will weigh in at roughly 5GB.

Quote:
This fan-favorite online team mode has been reimagined and lets you choose specialized player classes to deliver a balanced competitive experience on the ice. Player skill and your ability to play as a team will now be the determining factor in who wins and loses.

EASHL lets you choose specialized player classes to deliver a balanced competitive experience on the ice. Choose from 12 different player classes that fit your team’s style and strategy.

Below are some notes from the NHL 16 EASHL beta FAQ.

Will I be able to customize my player or goalie in the beta?

Yes. You will be able to create a custom player in the EASHL beta. You will be able to edit a player or goalie’s general information, appearance, and equipment. Any creation or customization in the beta does not carry over to the full game. For more information on EASHL customization click here.

Will my player and team stats carry over to the main game?

Player and team stats will not carry over to the main game when NHL 16 launches in September. However, individual & team skills you learn through this beta will!

Will I have to re-create my team when NHL 16 launches on September 15?

Teams created in the beta will not carry over to NHL 16.

Does a team need to have a full lineup to play a game?

No, you can play an EASHL game without a full lineup and as little as 2 human controlled players. In those circumstances, AI will take control of non-human controlled players.

More info on the beta can be seen at Polygon.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 speedtrucker @ 07/22/15 12:16 PM
Can. Not. Wait.

pumped for EASHL again.
 
# 2 DirtyJerz32 @ 07/22/15 12:20 PM
WOW! I'm shocked by this. I'm really impressed with this decision. Well done EA.
 
# 3 ricky24 @ 07/22/15 12:25 PM
Will try this out for sure.
 
# 4 Tonyferelli @ 07/22/15 12:33 PM
So excited for you guys to get to try it out!
 
# 5 jayman504 @ 07/22/15 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
If you're an Xbox One owner, now might be a good time to drop the $5 on EA Access for the month.

"I have NHL 15 through EA Access, will I still be able join the EASHL beta?
Yes. If you are an EA Access member, jump into NHL 15 starting July 30 and you’ll see a new panel in the main menu to download the NHL 16 EASHL Beta."

Very happy they did this. A move in the right direction.
I just finished getting Access....just to try out the Beta. EA Access very smart move..
 
# 6 Pezell04x @ 07/22/15 12:56 PM
A buddy is going to mail me NHL 15. I am so pumped for some EASHL action.
 
# 7 Turbojugend @ 07/22/15 01:05 PM
I've never played EASHL, always been more of an offline player. But this sounds like a nice jumping-on point, I will probably give it a shot when the beta opens.
 
# 8 Steve_OS @ 07/22/15 01:12 PM
Updated the OP w/ a few more details.
 
# 9 ricky24 @ 07/22/15 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
I've never played EASHL, always been more of an offline player. But this sounds like a nice jumping-on point, I will probably give it a shot when the beta opens.

I'm skeptical of the new attribute system for replay purposes but eashl was the best mode in this game imo. Only chance I have of buying 16 is if this mode is in depth enough to give the same replay value it gave nhl14. Very excited to find out if this is the case in a couple weeks.
 
# 10 Turbojugend @ 07/22/15 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
I'm skeptical of the new attribute system for replay purposes but eashl was the best mode in this game imo. Only chance I have of buying 16 is if this mode is in depth enough to give the same replay value it gave nhl14. Very excited to find out if this is the case in a couple weeks.
Is there usually a decent balance of player types, or does everyone want to be a super-sniper? I'd like to take a shot at creating a physical defenseman if it's an option.
 
# 11 JayBillups36 @ 07/22/15 01:34 PM
It says there's 12 different types of player to choose from. I have a huge chub about the 30th now
 
# 12 LuGer33 @ 07/22/15 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Is there usually a decent balance of player types, or does everyone want to be a super-sniper? I'd like to take a shot at creating a physical defenseman if it's an option.
There's no creation. There will be a physical defensemen class, but you don't actually customize their attributes.

The Polygon article is accurate in many respects. There is a risk by going with this system that the mode loses some depth and incentive to keep playing. The idea is that w/ balanced classes and no wacky attributes, the emphasis will be on teamplay and hockey knowledge. Think of it like an E-sports approach with a higher skill gap that will hopefully keep fans playing without grinding or chasing the progression carrot.

I'm excited for it because I'm a fan of classic Arena games w/ equal starts and stuff where as much as possible is left to the players. I hope it works for EASHL.
 
# 13 Haeyena @ 07/22/15 01:40 PM
You have to be kidding.....I am out of town that entire week!
 
# 14 no1xdraftpck @ 07/22/15 01:50 PM
Pretty exciting news. I'm relatively new to these forums, mostly read but dont post. But was curious is anyone participates in eashl online leagues? My friends and I joined a couple of the smaller ones and found that it really got the replay value up.

I play on the xbox one
 
# 15 ricky24 @ 07/22/15 01:52 PM
The polygon article is spot on. So many nights me and 5 buddies would keep playing because someone on our team needed one more goal, or one more win etc to level up. That is gone now. I'm worried that between this beta and my ea access period I will realize the replay factor is just not there anymore. Sucks they couldn't find another solution to keep the people who can't play as much happy because I don't see how this solution is going to keep the community really active. Seems like they are catering to the wrong side but time will tell.


And I just saw we can't even make our own team jerseys anymore. Ugh.
 
# 16 spidertour02 @ 07/22/15 01:58 PM
Hmm. I think I'll get in on this.

We should really form our own teams of OSers for the beta. I would gladly jump on with some of you guys on PS4.
 
# 17 LuGer33 @ 07/22/15 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
The polygon article is spot on. So many nights me and 5 buddies would keep playing because someone on our team needed one more goal, or one more win etc to level up. That is gone now. I'm worried that between this beta and my ea access period I will realize the replay factor is just not there anymore. Sucks they couldn't find another solution to keep the people who can't play as much happy because I don't see how this solution is going to keep the community really active. Seems like they are catering to the wrong side but time will tell.


And I just saw we can't even make our own team jerseys anymore. Ugh.
I'm not trying to sound like a you-know-what here or anything, but is the RPG / progression element really more important to you than good gameplay?

You aren't alone in thinking this, but I just don't see it. I would take solid, balanced gameplay that depends on the skill of the players and how much they know about hockey over the progression carrot every single time. I like the satisfaction of knowing that I won or lost on the merits, not because the other side had cards or boost packs or abilities that did not match my own.
 
# 18 ricky24 @ 07/22/15 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
I'm not trying to sound like a you-know-what here or anything, but is the RPG / progression element really more important to you than good gameplay?



You aren't alone in thinking this, but I just don't see it. I would take solid, balanced gameplay that depends on the skill of the players and how much they know about hockey over the progression carrot every single time. I like the satisfaction of knowing that I won or lost on the merits, not because the other side had cards or boost packs or abilities that did not match my own.

It's not that it's more important at all. It's just what kept me playing the game. I would like solid gameplay with an in depth attribute system. I'm sure this will be fun. I'm not saying it won't be but the chances of me logging the same amount of hours I put into nhl 13 and 14 are slim to none.
 
# 19 speedtrucker @ 07/22/15 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
I'm not trying to sound like a you-know-what here or anything, but is the RPG / progression element really more important to you than good gameplay?

You aren't alone in thinking this, but I just don't see it. I would take solid, balanced gameplay that depends on the skill of the players and how much they know about hockey over the progression carrot every single time. I like the satisfaction of knowing that I won or lost on the merits, not because the other side had cards or boost packs or abilities that did not match my own.
I think this is what I'm intrigued by the most... mainly because I am a big FIFA Pro Clubs player, in fact I spend 95% of my time in FIFA playing Pro Clubs.

5 defender line-ups with 2 CAMs that are 5'8" 175lb so they can be a 95 sprint, 95 acceleration and 1 Striker that is a 6'5" 190lb target man and the entire game turns into 2 or maybe 3 attacks ALL GAME while in park the bus/high pressure game tactics. 1. The CAMs sprinting up the sideline, fake shot, cut back across the face of the goal, sprint away from the already out of position CB and take a shot. 2. The CAMs sprint up the sideline, cross it into the target man who is 4 inches taller than any defender. 3. CAMs sprint through midfield, kick fake, diagonal run towards one corner, kick fake, diagonal back across teh field, 35 meter finesse shot. eveyone knows the 2 basic hieght/weight combos and then just grind out the RPG goals until they are 95 sprint, 95 accel CAMs that they can play in any position.

this idea is interesting to me because it is getting away from the microtransaction/grind for the obviously key 'sprint/accel/shot' catagories and makes them level. even if you do have a team that just wants 3 snipers, hopefully the rock/paper/scissors will allow for a team that has a playmaker, sniper, 2way forward combo to use their stat boosts to exploit and it doesn't become just the 3 snipers sprinting out defensively to break up proper cycling and then just shooting from distance because the goalie can't handle 3 snipers...

really hopeful that the preset roles allow the game to become more about real skill and not "gaming the system" skill.
 
# 20 SinisterAlex @ 07/22/15 03:48 PM
I don't really understand the complaints about having no progression. Year after year I would get to my legend 3 in a few months and I would still be playing right up until the new NHL game released.

I would play like crazy in the beginning to keep up with everyone who played clubs. Then in the end everyone would make the same type of forward. The game became who could exploit the attributes more and exploit the game. There was no skill in previous EASHL.

The way I see NHL 16 EASHL is that I removes the pointless grind to legend 3. We all did it year after year and made our players the same year after year.

I'm stoked by this decision and I think it's for the better.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.