Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post


Penalties have long not been a big part of the Madden NFL experience. This year, EA is hoping to change that legacy, which you can read fully fleshed out on their new blog:

Quote:
"Our hardcore simulation fans have been demanding realistic penalties for years. The team finally made this a point of emphasis in Madden NFL 16, and penalties will play a bigger factor than ever before.

In addition to several new penalties being added, we have updated all pre-existing penalties and built a system to control penalty frequency."

What This Means: Every player is going to get a penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which will determine how likely they are to commit a penalty. Also, how you play the game will determine how many penalties are called as well. A pressing cornerback is used as an example, where your chances of seeing a defensive holding penalty are higher than if he is playing loose.

The penalty sliders also are getting a makeover, with the default setting based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons, which will make penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible, so EA says.

Penalties which got the updated treatment include: Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

What do you think of the potentially improved penalties?

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 23 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 The JareBear @ 06/15/15 05:29 PM
"Every player is assigned a Penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which determines how likely they are to commit a penalty; an undisciplined player has a far greater chance of committing a penalty than a disciplined player.

Players’ in-game strategy has an impact on penalties as well. For example, pressing cornerbacks are more likely to commit a defensive holding penalty, while goalline and max protect calls make offensive holding penalties more likely. Mistiming the “Off the Line” mechanic can easily draw a neutral zone infraction or encroachment penalty.

Finally, all penalty sliders have been updated to allow players to fully customize the experience to their liking. The Default slider setting is based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons to make both penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible."

Very nice
 
# 2 jeremym480 @ 06/15/15 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Reel
Yeah.

Its the most impressive thing Ive heard about Madden this year....which is depressing given all of the CCM info theyve released.
Agreed. This is the first thing that I've seen that made me excited, but I really need to see it in action.
 
# 3 JaymeeAwesome @ 06/15/15 05:33 PM
Uh oh, it didn't mention OPI....
 
# 4 DeuceDouglas @ 06/15/15 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
"Every player is assigned a Penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which determines how likely they are to commit a penalty; an undisciplined player has a far greater chance of committing a penalty than a disciplined player.

Players’ in-game strategy has an impact on penalties as well. For example, pressing cornerbacks are more likely to commit a defensive holding penalty, while goalline and max protect calls make offensive holding penalties more likely. Mistiming the “Off the Line” mechanic can easily draw a neutral zone infraction or encroachment penalty.

Finally, all penalty sliders have been updated to allow players to fully customize the experience to their liking. The Default slider setting is based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons to make both penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible."

Very nice
I'll echo this but I'd like confirmation that certain penalties are not still tied to user inputs. False Start is one of the two by far most called penalties but in Madden as it stood, it only ever got called if you used the fake snap. No fake snap, no false starts ever. I'd love to see random fall starts based on the ratings. Same goes for offsides.
 
# 5 Skyboxer @ 06/15/15 05:34 PM
But will there be O penalties other than offsides and holding
 
# 6 DJ @ 06/15/15 05:36 PM
Will need to see it to believe it, but sounds like steps in the right direction.
 
# 7 aholbert32 @ 06/15/15 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Reel
Yeah.

Its the most impressive thing Ive heard about Madden this year....which is depressing given all of the CCM info theyve released.
Stay on topic. This isnt about CCM. Last warning.
 
# 8 Skyboxer @ 06/15/15 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Will need to see it to believe it, but sounds like steps in the right direction.
Yes it does indeed.
 
# 9 roadman @ 06/15/15 05:41 PM
Yes, yes, penalties.

 
# 10 The JareBear @ 06/15/15 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Will need to see it to believe it, but sounds like steps in the right direction.
Hopefully we get some good vids from the booth this week
 
# 11 SageInfinite @ 06/15/15 05:42 PM
Best thing I've seen all day about Madden 16, but I still need to experience it to believe the penalties actually work. Didn't see offensive pass interference though....
 
# 12 PVarck31 @ 06/15/15 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
Uh oh, it didn't mention OPI....
It was mentioned in the air supremacy blog.

Quote:
MULTIPLAYER CATCH SYSTEM

The Multiplayer Catch System is based on technology in development for more than two years, and allows receivers and defenders to go up for a catch simultaneously and battle for the ball in the air while using ratings, mechanics and positioning to deliver the appropriate outcome

The team added more than 400 new multiplayer catch outcomes, which includes knockouts, tip ball, simultaneous possession catches, offensive/defensive PI, interceptions and more.
 
# 13 SageInfinite @ 06/15/15 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Will need to see it to believe it, but sounds like steps in the right direction.
This is said every year though. Personally I'm tired of stepping, we should be there by now.
 
# 14 Potatoes002 @ 06/15/15 05:47 PM
Well it sounds like penalties were re-done and the sliders for it too. Hopefully that means gameplay sliders were also adjusted and are working correctly.
 
# 15 kaletore11 @ 06/15/15 05:50 PM
If they get the penalties right, that will be huge for me.

I've given up on QB animations and lifelike movement of players, but penalties are #2 on my wishlist.
 
# 16 SageInfinite @ 06/15/15 06:02 PM
Would like to know if there are offsetting penalties.
 
# 17 mjavon @ 06/15/15 06:24 PM
Interested in unnecessary roughness. Is it going to still be the late hit out of bounds that happened once in a blue moon in 16? The screen with Harry Douglas seems to imply there could be some post-whistle unnecessary roughness maybe (hopefully!)?
 
# 18 eastcoast49ers @ 06/15/15 06:33 PM
If everything in the blogs is actually in the game that will more than make up for those crappy screenshots and lack of CFM updates.
 
# 19 MAGboyswifT27 @ 06/15/15 06:43 PM
I'm very excited to see how the penalties are tuned. If done right this will definitely be a bonus for the community. A question that comes to mind, does anyone know if the new PAT/2 Pt conversion rules are in the game this year?
 
# 20 bucky60 @ 06/15/15 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGboyswifT27
I'm very excited to see how the penalties are tuned. If done right this will definitely be a bonus for the community. A question that comes to mind, does anyone know if the new PAT/2 Pt conversion rules are in the game this year?
Having penalties is a dream come true if there is a way to turn them OFF. Imagine, the realism crowd, the play now crowd, and the tourney crowd happy with how penalties are implemented.

Now if they can create a flexible injury system.......(Any blogs have injury info that I may have missed?)
 


Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.