Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post



With the first details now out about Madden NFL 16, it appears the passing game is this year's big focus. Everything from passing mechanics to new control mechanics for DBs and WRs to battle for the ball are going to be new and in the game. With the passing game starting to lag much of the rest of the game, it's hardly a surprise Madden is going this direction this year.

What do you think though? Is Madden's newfound focus on the passing game a welcome sign or do you think the direction is wrong? Sound off by voting and leave a comment as well!

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 23 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 edwing @ 05/14/15 03:02 PM
I feel like they hype up total control passing for QBs every other year. Colour me more unimpressed than most about this news, though the WR/DB interactions sound promising (and well overdue!).
 
# 2 misterkrabz @ 05/14/15 03:10 PM
Passing/WR-DB interaction tweaks are long over due. Now if it amounts to anything substantive or not we'll have to wait and see. I'm not holding my breath.
 
# 3 Denzel Washington @ 05/14/15 03:13 PM
If it leads to better match ups in the air then I'm all for it. Tired of seeing receivers go for the ball with the ferocity of a sloth
 
# 4 hittaonthepayroll @ 05/14/15 03:17 PM
i totally gave up on madden when the started the change last play stuff ... still shaking my head have not bought madden for over 15 yrs now

the game title is flaky at best
 
# 5 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 05/14/15 03:17 PM
I'm all for the passing game improvements which are long overdue, but I'm also tired of EA selling us the game in compartments every year. Why can't they just focus on giving us an overall great game with all aspects of what we see on Sunday? I get the whole development cycle issue but let's be real, Madden has been around long enough & should not still be lacking in fundamental areas of football. Why do all RB's have the same moves & all carry the ball the same way? Why do we still not have true gang tackling in the game? Why is the CPU AI logic still severely flawed? I could go on & on but what's the point... EA is going to do what they want at the end of the day. As long as MUT continues to sell (which I for the life of me can't understand the intrigue with this mode being that all players animate the same with no signature moves basically defeating the purpose of individual players smh) all is well in EA land.
 
# 6 Rhouston @ 05/14/15 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
I'm all for the passing game improvements which are long overdue, but I'm also tired of EA selling us the game in compartments every year. Why can't they just focus on giving us an overall great game with all aspects of what we see on Sunday? I get the whole development cycle issue but let's be real, Madden has been around long enough & should not still be lacking in fundamental areas of football. Why do all RB's have the same moves & all carry the ball the same way? Why do we still not have true gang tackling in the game? Why is the CPU AI logic still severely flawed? I could go on & on but what's the point... EA is going to do what they want at the end of the day. As long as MUT continues to sell (which I for the life of me can't understand the intrigue with this mode being that all players animate the same with no signature moves basically defeating the purpose of individual players smh) all is well in EA land.
Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that if EA released the "perfect" game, there would be nothing to hype up for the following year's rendition. EA would be accused for stealing people's money for a $60 roster update.

Instead, improving one area at a time allows EA to say, "LOOK WHAT WE'VE IMPROVED THIS YEAR!" in order to warrant people's decision to buy the game.
 
# 7 BSchwartz07 @ 05/14/15 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that if EA released the "perfect" game, there would be nothing to hype up for the following year's rendition. EA would be accused for stealing people's money for a $60 roster update.

Instead, improving one area at a time allows EA to say, "LOOK WHAT WE'VE IMPROVED THIS YEAR!" in order to warrant people's decision to buy the game.
Only flaw in your argument there is that they release the same AWFUL game every year and steal not only everyone's $60 for a roster update, but also hype up their Ultimate team mode that wants you to give them even more money.

I passed on Madden last year in hopes that getting it every other year would make it feel like it was worth the investment... maybe I'll make it an every 10 year purchase...
 
# 8 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 05/14/15 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that if EA released the "perfect" game, there would be nothing to hype up for the following year's rendition. EA would be accused for stealing people's money for a $60 roster update.

Instead, improving one area at a time allows EA to say, "LOOK WHAT WE'VE IMPROVED THIS YEAR!" in order to warrant people's decision to buy the game.
Yeah I understand the business aspect of it. I'm more mad at the NFL than I am at EA for having an exclusive license. However, look at games like NBA 2K & MLB the Show. Those games have solid foundations & continue to improve each year. NBA 2K has no problem selling lol. I'm not saying Madden isn't improving, it just seems to be doing so at a snails pace compared to those games.
 
# 9 KennyJ1976 @ 05/14/15 03:59 PM
I would say its a solid direction, but until proven otherwise, I feel this is just another one of Madden's yearly back of the box gimmicks.
 
# 10 bxphenom7 @ 05/14/15 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
Only flaw in your argument there is that they release the same AWFUL game every year and steal not only everyone's $60 for a roster update, but also hype up their Ultimate team mode that wants you to give them even more money.

I passed on Madden last year in hopes that getting it every other year would make it feel like it was worth the investment... maybe I'll make it an every 10 year purchase...
Don't hold your breath man. I'm still waiting for a Madden worth purchasing since Madden 07 on PS2. Moreso, I'm still waiting for that exclusivity to end. I remember when NFL 2k had to stop and saying, "Well, there's no way this lasts a whole console gen, even then most certainly not into the console gen after PS3/360".

Look where we are, and the game still has the weakest gameplay of all major sports titles even with EA's pockets. Every year I'm checking to see if this is the year Madden actually takes a leap or the exclusivity ends. (Read somewhere, I think ProFootball Talk, that the exclusivity lasts a couple more years and that was in relation to Madden 15, so let's see what things are like after Madden 17 drops)
 
# 11 Cusefan @ 05/14/15 05:35 PM
E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Yankees
I wish EA would focus on a balanced game, Not overload one part of the game, Does them focusing on passing mean pass interference gets fixed so it works?
That doesn't sell games though, you need to be flashy and sexy. Just look at the call of Duty franchise, that still sells millions of copies and is essentially the same thing over and over again.
 
# 12 Cowboy008 @ 05/14/15 05:49 PM
Knowing EA Sports since they are working on the passing game the offense will be over powered this year.
 
# 13 jhawk886 @ 05/14/15 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhouston
Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that if EA released the "perfect" game, there would be nothing to hype up for the following year's rendition. EA would be accused for stealing people's money for a $60 roster update.

Instead, improving one area at a time allows EA to say, "LOOK WHAT WE'VE IMPROVED THIS YEAR!" in order to warrant people's decision to buy the game.
A few years ago I would have wholeheartedly held this same viewpoint. However, playing and seeing MLB The Show's success year after year makes me throw this idea out the window.

MLB The Show is a phenomenal sports video game and is supremely successful in sales year after year. Madden could be the same way if EA actually wanted to deliver for their customers. The fact of the matter is, lack of competition, not a desire to provide an "unperfect" game, is the cause of EA's release of a lackluster and stale Madden every year. They have taken the approach of "We have the only mainstream NFL Football game on the market, let's cut expenses as much as possible to maximize our profit margin." SCEA on the other hand has taken the approach of, "We strive to maximize profits from our MLB The Show franchise by providing a quality, realistic, and fun gaming experience that the market enjoys playing for countless hours."

MLB The Show is not a "perfect" game in any way. But it's a heck of a lot closer than Madden has ever been and Madden has had a much publicized decade and a half to get it right while The Show is still a toddler. The culture needs to change at EA, plain and simple.
 
# 14 Boilerbuzz @ 05/14/15 08:16 PM
Where is the option for "Yawn, we've heard this before.."?
 
# 15 cubby blue @ 05/14/15 09:57 PM
I think this is very promising. I like the direction ea went with last year. The game still has plenty of flaws. But definitely heading in the right direction.
 
# 16 tril @ 05/14/15 10:32 PM
every year, you hear the same old, same old, "headed in the right direction".
as usually Ill say I wont buy the game. Then get sucked in by the hype machine, and the need for an nfl title.

total control passing, has been in this game in some fashion every year since MAdden 12.
maybe total control passing will involve, analog stick passing like Back Breaker. or the ball wont be tethered to the receiver or actual pass route.

is a wait and see
 
# 17 Skyboxer @ 05/15/15 03:22 AM
Never going to be satisfied with the passing until we have a different option of how we pass.
X for X is ok but I think we are way overdue for some options for the passing system.
Just cut and paste this every year as I've been saying it every year with the same results... ziltch.
 
# 18 ggsimmonds @ 05/15/15 06:29 AM
I'd echo the thoughts of those who express frustration at EA's practice of improving the game piece meal.

Why are smaller studios able to do more? I'm losing patience with EA. I'm older now and don't have as much time to play games so this means I am more selective in the games I purchase.

With other games making large strides and Madden taking baby steps, I don't know how long they can count me as a consumer
 
# 19 nordiques1995 @ 05/15/15 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittaonthepayroll
i totally gave up on madden when the started the change last play stuff ... still shaking my head have not bought madden for over 15 yrs now

the game title is flaky at best
15 Years ???
 
# 20 ratedmoney @ 05/15/15 09:30 AM
Passing game needed a major overhaul. With that said seems every thing the work on turns out it only works halfway. So we will see I guess. Hopefully the new passing game comes with completely redone QB animations.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.