Home
NHL 15 News Post



OS'er Oohwayy recapped the special EASHL committee which EA held in Vancouver recently with some interesting new details on where the NHL franchise may be heading. In the post, it was proclaimed that gamers "should be excited" about the direction on EA Sports' NHL. Compiling points from various sources, here is what came out of the meeting, with much of it being nothing more than vague rumors and hints -- so if that isn't your thing you probably shouldn't read on:
  • There was a lot of back and forth at the event, with developers being very interactive and open about the process.
  • NDAs were signed so a lot of things can't be revealed obviously.
  • EASHL will be very exciting for both casual and competitive players, big changes are coming to the modes which have been planned well in advance.
  • The future is bright for offline gamers too.
  • A lot of highly requested features are being implemented this next year.
So basically, a lot of vagueness, which is to be expected at this early point in the development cycle. The 'big' news is easily that EASHL is definitely going to happen in NHL 16, but that is neither shocking nor unexpected. It also sounds as if the mode will be getting some pretty big changes versus what it used to be, which could be taken as either a positive or a negative.

Otherwise, from the general tone coming out of this meeting -- plus the tone coming out of EA period -- there is no reason not to believe NHL 16 won't make a huge step forward this year both in terms of modes offered and the usual yearly gameplay enhancements.

What do you want to see from NHL 16 this year?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 acreinha @ 02/05/15 12:04 PM
God, I hope they nail it this year. I know we joke on OS about the "built from the ground-up" selling point with every NHL game but I truly want them to actually reinvent most of the game mechanics. I've tried to convince myself that NHL 15 is decent on the ice but always resort to "it just doesn't feel good."

I fell in love with FIFA (on manual) this year because I was enamored by the freedom of gameplay and authenticity it provides. I think the only way I will come back to NHL is if the attention to detail and authenticity of real gameplay mirrors that of FIFA.
 
# 2 GuyinPA75 @ 02/05/15 12:38 PM
Honestly, reading this article does nothing for me.

All these promises and the annual beating drum of "this year is the year of innovation" has just left me disenchanted and desire to play the next year of "X" in said EA sports franchise very stale.

If EA backed it up each year, I would actually care. But in last 10 years their philosophy is: drastically hype up as a step forward while in reality take 3 steps backward. That may work on the new and younger generation of gamers. But as someone gaming since 1972, EA you need to show, prove, and do something to garner my interest and hype going forward.

Doubt I am the only gamer feeling this way.
 
# 3 GeauxTigers @ 02/05/15 01:30 PM
It's probably too late for this coming edition (especially with the actual event not taking place until 2016 anyway); but definitely hoping at some point they add an authentic way to play an event like the World Cup of Hockey. Also as an NHL fan who actually lives in a WHL city and follows my local team closely it would be nice to be able to play seasons in the WHL too (anyone else interested in this?). The teams are already there along with the players ... I don't think fans of these leagues would be worried about authentic arenas or updated rosters either ... so just a single season mode would be fun (especially if it wrapped up with the Memorial Cup).
 
# 4 AdamJones113 @ 02/05/15 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers
It's probably too late for this coming edition (especially with the actual event not taking place until 2016 anyway); but definitely hoping at some point they add an authentic way to play an event like the World Cup of Hockey. Also as an NHL fan who actually lives in a WHL city and follows my local team closely it would be nice to be able to play seasons in the WHL too (anyone else interested in this?). The teams are already there along with the players ... I don't think fans of these leagues would be worried about authentic arenas or updated rosters either ... so just a single season mode would be fun (especially if it wrapped up with the Memorial Cup).
There is single-season mode on last gen.

I'd love for this to work the same as franchise mode, especially if you could edit draft classes and incoming juniors draft classes.
 
# 5 Retropyro @ 02/05/15 02:07 PM
I'm believing a single word until the game is released. It's nothing but talk until then with a bad track record. Hopefully they knock it out of the park, but until I get it in my hands to try, I'll remain very sceptical of anything surrounding the NHL franchise.
 
# 6 SH15 @ 02/05/15 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers
hoping at some point they add an authentic way to play an event like the World Cup of Hockey.
No idea why they don't do this. How amazing would it be to program in an EA Sports World Tournament every other year in Feb or Sept (depending on Olympics or World Cup).

Then simply ask DO YOU WANT TO PLAY when that time on the calendar comes up. Select yes, pick your team, then you fill out your 14F/8D/3G from the current rosters/overalls in your Dynasty (BAGM). This would take into account current injuries (imagine if Crosby was out? ouch!) as well as overalls (hello Connor McDavid in 2016 Olympics)

It would be so amazing. But nope, why do something that is awesome. Yay EA
 
# 7 Retropyro @ 02/05/15 04:18 PM
@bigwill33
You 110% nailed it.
 
# 8 Simple Mathematics @ 02/05/15 05:19 PM
I was going to post a long reply that vented my frustrations, but Bigwill took the words out of my mouth. I am so sick of the broken promises and the same "new features" every single year that don't make one but of change to the game.

Let me guess - here are NHL 16's back-of-box features:

1. Tweaked physics for big hits. These are the same big hits that should only occur maybe once per game.
2. More deke moves. Because the game isn't already enough of a deke-fest.
3. Tweaked true performance skating. We won't be able to see the difference.
4. Tweaked puck physics - because that one time you actually get to see the puck take a bad bounce matters.
5. EASHL - yawn. No thanks. Cheese fest 5000.
6. MORE AND MORE HUT CARD PACKS AND GAME-CHANGING LEGENDS!!!!!!!!

You certainly won't see the things the game actually needs - increased physicality (no, I do not mean big hits), a lot more depth in BaGM, more realistic goalies, and full true-collision physics with every single thing on the ice (sticks, skates, players, puck, etc.).

I want one thing more than anything in NHL 16 - the ability to edit players again. The Revamped Rosters would make the game so much better. Without them, for me, it makes the game 100% unplayable.
 
# 9 Cletus @ 02/05/15 05:40 PM
I've discussed this with AdamJones before, but honestly, I don't think this game under current management will ever be what we want it to be. I applaud everyone who constructively points out what they want this game to be, but if you are angry/losing sleep/etc, just give up.

Ooohway thanks for the details and for posting on here. I know lots of people, including myself, didn't welcome you in the warmest of terms. You've done what you said you would. Thank you for that.
 
# 10 IG 88 @ 02/05/15 08:17 PM
Generalities! Hopefully when there are some hard details to discuss, it will still sound peachy-keen. Until then, why even talk about it?
 
# 11 garyjr33 @ 02/05/15 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
What "Gamechanger", "Community Leader", etc. in history has ever come back from a community event that a developer has flown them to and come away from it with a less than positive outlook? This is the huge grain of salt that needs to be taken with these types of things.

When companies bring these people in they do all the right things, just like a recruitment trip for a college athlete. You don't see the flaws and problems because the focus is on the positives. But what really can be accomplished over 8 hours of sitting down and discussing the game?

Was there hands-on with a current build of the game in which the group of visitors got to test the game out? What legacy issues are still prevalent. When a company just talks about what was wrong and what they are hoping to fix or what will be different they aren't showing anyone anything that may still be wrong or that is broken. It isn't until extensive time with a game that most major flaws come to light. And with 8 hours of sit down what really can be gathered and changed in the development cycle for the next iteration of a game?

These programs can be good in that there is some interaction between a fan base and a developer, but overall what the rest of us are left with is hope and hype. And every year each game has a hope and a hype factor. I can tell you this, if we get into August without major media of NHL 16 or without a list of game modes again what are we to believe will be great about this game?

Basically all we have at this point is a handful of people that were super stoked to have been "selected" to go on a free trip to play video games. They were wined and dined and made to feel as though they were important for a day or two. In the end we hear "The game is gonna be awesome! Oh, but I can't tell you why or anything about that for quite some time. When? Well until EA gets ahead of the official hype train and spins everything in a manner that won't negatively impact sales."

To EA it is important to get the most "popular" members that can influence others into believing the hype being sold. If I trust joeyoutube's assessment that the game will be awesome because he said so and I agree with other things he says about the game then I can't be lead down the wrong path.

Where is the tangible evidence? What is being done that is different? There are things that can be said that wouldn't violate an NDA. Furthermore, the fact that people are so afraid to even tread on the grounds of the grey area surrounding an NDA because the main fear isn't that they would face legal repercussions, but rather they worry that they will have blown the privileges that accompany the position they have gotten to.

When would we ever get the person that flies back home after one of these events and says to the general audience of a game "You know, they just aren't where I think they should be given how bad recent versions of the product are."?

Because with every event like this we see nothing but positives being brought back, but then somehow we still get games that have bugs, legacy issues, horrific game play, glitch or money plays, and features that have been removed for some reason. And if any of it is brought up all we get are excuses. Well there wasn't enough time, but we hope to fix it one day. The damn thing has been that way for 5 years! When is 'one day'?

Why should I care how hard it is to program something? It is hard to do a lot of things at most jobs, yet somehow they still get done. Other game developers manage to do more with less even. These are excuses! And I am tired of them! Nobody at a site like this is asking for a reinvention of the wheel. IN FACT, most of us are just asking for things that have already been accomplished in a hockey or sports video game, if not by another developer by the very company that is making this current game now, but in the past. There is a whole wishlist thread in our NHL forum and 95% of that is just asking for stuff that has somehow disappeared from the NHL series. These are things that were in the game already, some of them 10 or 20 years ago!

EA used to do things that others didn't because they felt they had to. Now they don't do things that others are doing or even things that they have done in the past because they no longer have to. And for someone to come in and tell us that this next game is really going to be awesome when the past 4 or 5 have trended downward towards a near pitiful level, what right minded person would jump aboard that boat? Let's hope that someone all the hype is true, but let's take this for what it is at the same time, people.
Most epic OS post ever! Agree 100%. I just want them to deliver. Hockey is my favorite sport. I just want an epic NHL game for once.
 
# 12 Simple Mathematics @ 02/05/15 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG 88
Generalities! Hopefully when there are some hard details to discuss, it will still sound peachy-keen. Until then, why even talk about it?
I think we talk about it because we are so used to this now. It seems like it's the same thing every year now.

1. Hype it up
2. Go silent
3. Secretly release unfinished product
4. Fans get disappointed
5. Come up with excuses for why the game underwhelms

The more the above formula occurs, the more the fan disappointment and outrage increases.
 
# 13 SVCbearcat10 @ 02/06/15 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I think we talk about it because we are so used to this now. It seems like it's the same thing every year now.

1. Hype it up
2. Go silent
3. Secretly release unfinished product
4. Fans get disappointed
5. Come up with excuses for why the game underwhelms

The more the above formula occurs, the more the fan disappointment and outrage increases.
Step 3...didn't that only happen once? The ironic thing is that NHL 15 is by far the best gameplay of any NHL to date. I'm not saying how they handled the first release into the next generation of consoles is good or bad. If all the game modes were in and the gameplay wasn't different enough, everyone would have been screaming just as loudly.

Go the MLB TS forums on here. They got everything over and fans weren't as happy for the first time in years because the "leap" wasn't large enough from PS3 to PS4. I think there is going to be a generation of disappointed gamers because I don't think games are going to progress at the same rate in the past because technology hasn't had a huge leap because it's a very mature segment of the industry.

As a community, it's grown to be a microcosm of society as a whole. We are extremely impatient and have unrealistic expectations. Nothing put out (especially sports games) will ever live up to the hype because there is no way to program a game to mimic human behavior perfectly. Especially because everyone handles the same situation slightly differently. And in a video game, if the AI makes a mistake then the game is stupid, developers are dumb rather than people saying it's life-like in the fact that the AI can make errors.
 
# 14 Cletus @ 02/06/15 08:59 AM
The NHL series is like having a racing game with only minivans on 8 different tracks. Then last year they release sedans but only give you 4 tracks. Sure the sedans are the best we've ever had but hardcore guys still want Maseratis and Ferraris.

MLB the show is a totally different game and bAseball is a completely different sport but if they pulled the stunts that EA has with series I'd love to see how it turns out. There's still issues and I'm not a big fan of the game but it at least has all of its game modes from last gen without taking a year off. The devs at least listened and got feedback instead of disappearing and making false claims.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
 
# 15 AdamJones113 @ 02/06/15 09:08 AM
There's a middle ground between acceptance and complaining. I accept the game for what it is (I still play NHL 14) and enjoy it for that, but that does not mean I should stop complaining, aka trying to make the game better. I enjoy but still acknowledge the game has a ton of flaws and I would like to see them fixed. Ergo, the posts and threads.

So (due to the abysmal communication by EA) I take this stuff, as bigwill said with a grain of salt.
 
# 16 brandon27 @ 02/06/15 09:45 AM
I really hope NHL16 is fantastic, but after the letdown that was 15, I don't think I'll be buying this right away. It's going to be a wait and see for me. Theyve either got to show alot prior to release of whats new etc. Or I'm going to need to see/hear alot from folks here about how it is.

I'll be excited when they show us some actual details of the product and it's enhancements. Right now, its all just talk. Positive, yes, but I had a positive vibe from EA heading into NHL 15 as well.

Hopefully they do nail it though, and there's reason to be excited.
 
# 17 Simple Mathematics @ 02/06/15 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
Step 3...didn't that only happen once? The ironic thing is that NHL 15 is by far the best gameplay of any NHL to date. I'm not saying how they handled the first release into the next generation of consoles is good or bad. If all the game modes were in and the gameplay wasn't different enough, everyone would have been screaming just as loudly.

Go the MLB TS forums on here. They got everything over and fans weren't as happy for the first time in years because the "leap" wasn't large enough from PS3 to PS4. I think there is going to be a generation of disappointed gamers because I don't think games are going to progress at the same rate in the past because technology hasn't had a huge leap because it's a very mature segment of the industry.

As a community, it's grown to be a microcosm of society as a whole. We are extremely impatient and have unrealistic expectations. Nothing put out (especially sports games) will ever live up to the hype because there is no way to program a game to mimic human behavior perfectly. Especially because everyone handles the same situation slightly differently. And in a video game, if the AI makes a mistake then the game is stupid, developers are dumb rather than people saying it's life-like in the fact that the AI can make errors.
I disagree with NHL 15 having the best gameplay ever. They took out roster editing so every player plays the exact same way. You see 4th line enforcers deking out Shea Weber. I feel no difference between Colton Orr and Sidney Crosby. NHL 14's gameplay with the Revamped Rosters was much better in my opinion. And the best gameplay of any hockey game of all time, in my opinion, is NHL 2004 on the PC with mods.
 
# 18 jake19ny @ 02/07/15 10:27 AM
I'm not going to shoot the messenger here and I appreciate any info the community event guys can give us but I will never believe a word that comes out of EA ever again. Bigwill pretty much said it all. I will only add that this company has hyped and disappointed in the past but nothing as bad as this year. They touted NHL15 Next Gen as this great master piece fully knowing it was an unfinished mess. Then we had a few announcements such as "Greatest Day in EA NHL History" only to be disappointed to find out its HUT packs. After acknowledging the game to be a let down they promised more communication with the community only to go ghost except questions regarding HUT. I cannot help but feel that this event was nothing more than damage control and a PR move. I am not expecting anything other than the return of game modes and other things that were in NHL 14. Sad truth is if they return season mode, editing players, roster control, and EASHL is good, I will be happy. I have given up on getting the gameplay to be what we want and I have always managed to tweak things enough to enjoy the game in the past. I do feel they have attempted to fix things in this area before but when they change something it breaks something else. If I could actually pick one thing that must be addressed is the sliders need to work properly. too many of them do little or nothing at all and if they did, along with edited rosters, we might be able to correct many flaws ourselves. I still plan on making this my first year in many that I will not preorder the game. I'm waiting until I see gamers feedback. Sorry EA but talk is cheap and the proof will be in the pudding.
 
# 19 Simple Mathematics @ 02/07/15 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
I'm not going to shoot the messenger here and I appreciate any info the community event guys can give us but I will never believe a word that comes out of EA ever again. Bigwill pretty much said it all. I will only add that this company has hyped and disappointed in the past but nothing as bad as this year. They touted NHL15 Next Gen as this great master piece fully knowing it was an unfinished mess. Then we had a few announcements such as "Greatest Day in EA NHL History" only to be disappointed to find out its HUT packs. After acknowledging the game to be a let down they promised more communication with the community only to go ghost except questions regarding HUT. I cannot help but feel that this event was nothing more than damage control and a PR move. I am not expecting anything other than the return of game modes and other things that were in NHL 14. Sad truth is if they return season mode, editing players, roster control, and EASHL is good, I will be happy. I have given up on getting the gameplay to be what we want and I have always managed to tweak things enough to enjoy the game in the past. I do feel they have attempted to fix things in this area before but when they change something it breaks something else. If I could actually pick one thing that must be addressed is the sliders need to work properly. too many of them do little or nothing at all and if they did, along with edited rosters, we might be able to correct many flaws ourselves. I still plan on making this my first year in many that I will not preorder the game. I'm waiting until I see gamers feedback. Sorry EA but talk is cheap and the proof will be in the pudding.
I have the same feeling that this year is going to just be NHL 14 on next gen consoles. If that is true, well then that just flat out sucks.
 
# 20 Simple Mathematics @ 02/07/15 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHood059
i'm getting the same sense as you, and am not too thrilled about it especially when you have MLB the Show go out of their way to include their customers/fan base in the decision making process- all the while conducting this process with clear transparency not at a secret gathering for a selected few.

ergo, i'm not the least bit excited.
I have always wondered this. Why is everything always a secret amongst game developers, most notably EA? What is the big secret and why can't they tell us their visions for the game? Wouldn't that just get more interest in the game and therefore create more sales?

And if they keep secrets because they don't want to make promises that they might have to break, well I think that's a little better than continuously underwhelming with their finished products.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.