09:51 AM - November 20, 2014 by MMChrisS
Have you ever wanted to completely redo how the WWE approaches storylines and their TV lineup? Have you ever thought about booking as a second career choice?
Well, WWE 2K15's Universe Mode gives you a bit of a taste of what that's like, if you can also stomach some artificial limitations and some wonky interface quirks along the way.
- Your options as a booker/GM/whatever you are have a lot of room to work within. You can book several matches per show and develop rivalries and schedule title matches to your hearts desire.
- The fun factor is definitely here if you are a creative individual wiling to put some time into building your own universe. I have had some fun making Brock Lesnar an unstoppable beast with my created character slowing rising through the ranks. With some luck, I'm going to have them square off at Wrestlemania for the title.
- The ability to add shows to your heart's content is just excellent.
- The automatic booking is sometimes quite terrible. On more than one occasion the same wrestler was booked in a match 2 and 3 times in a show.
- The interface is designed to make everything as hard as possible to do. Everything takes about 3 to 4 button presses more than it should ever take.
- No options to add more or less matches to shows, and no 'in between segments' to spice things up.
- The Title screen in particular is a mess. Why not have only active titles shown for Title matches, etc.? Just poorly thought out execution.
WWE 2K15's Universe Mode is an adequate mode for gamers who want to do their own thing in the game but have those consequences play out over time. However, it's extremely limited and it feels it was frustratingly created that way for some audacious reason. I'd love it if Universe Mode were given a more proper treatment next year, and given more bells and whistles and even some real objectives for you to shoot for. The foundation is here for something special -- just what is here isn't special but merely only adequate.