Home
NBA Live 15 News Post



NBA Live 15 is here!

According to our initial impressions, there is plenty of improvement with the game -- but it probably doesn't fully measure up to its peers in our genre just yet. But our question isn't about this year's game quality so much as do you think the series has done enough for you to consider a purchase of NBA Live next year?

Sound off by voting in our poll, and leave a comment below on what you think!

Game: NBA Live 15Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
NBA Live 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 huntt26 @ 10/28/14 11:34 AM
Make a generic college basketball game with full customization and I'd buy it.
 
# 2 poloelite @ 10/28/14 11:58 AM
In a nutshell, NO. This game is too far behind and the base Live 15 has is 5 years too late. Unless they take another 2 years off with a full reboot, I can't see this particular foundation being viable in this marketplace as a full price basketball simulation. The only other route I see for this base is inventing the first 5 on 5 true arcade experience that isn't relying on a 1 to 1 comparison with the pro game. There are too many animation, gameplay, AI and mode items they have to add back in and tune over the course of several years to even make this playable for 2014. Imagine where expectations will be years from now? The graphics update, that still needs work, took them a longer time to over haul to the point where modes were untouched, the game was delayed and things like editing and sliders had to be ignored. To add those things back in and be functional to today's standards may take another 2 years alone, not touching anything else. I would love to see competition, but I also have to be honest about what NBA Live is at this point. I was a big Ice Cube fan growing up, but there came a point where it just wasn't the same anymore and time passed him by musically. The same has happened for Live. Doesn't take away the good years though 95-04.
 
# 3 poloelite @ 10/28/14 12:10 PM
And before I get a fan boy tag, I say all of this just being honest. I think instead of encouragement, we need more honesty. The base that was Live 14 shouldn't have been upgraded, it should've been completely scrapped and erased from our memories. I didn't want to mention the other game, but when it dropped it was THE game you showed people when you presented next gen graphics. To me that's a base to build on. Not one that's awful and you tweak it for 5-7 years. To attempt to tune and update Live 14 is a mistake in my opinion. I bought two bball games every year from 2000 to 2010. Owned every bball game from Lakers vs Celtics, to NBA Showdown, to David Robinson Supreme Court, to Inside Drive. I know video game hoops lol. I was excited for EA Access and the improvements, but when I played it I could only think about Live 14 after a couple of games. That's not good. Sorry for the long responses guys, I'm out!!
 
# 4 scottyp180 @ 10/28/14 12:16 PM
I don't know how anyone could answer this poll question with No. Even if you hate the Live series and Live 15 not releasing Live 16 would take away choice for customers, eliminate competition which will hurt the overall development of basketball games, and make all the work EA did the past two+ years worthless.

I haven't played Live 15 yet so I have no opinion about the game except that it sounds like a fun, improved experience over last year. I'll formulate an opinion once I play the demo but whether I hate the game, am slightly disappointed, slightly impressed, or love the game I will still support the idea that Live 16 should happen.
 
# 5 Valdarez @ 10/28/14 12:16 PM
I'm not a fan of EASports games in general. They just don't emulate sports well. With that said, competition is ALWAYS good. So if nothing else NBA Live will push 2KSports to continue to improve their NBA game. Everyone should WANT competition as it's the consumers who win with competition between companies. Look at what Madden has become, and it's sales, to see what happens when there is no competition. So yes, there definitely should be a NBA Live game next year even though I have no plans of buying or renting it. In the end, even if it's a bad game, it's still good for consumers.
 
# 6 poloelite @ 10/28/14 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
I don't know how anyone could answer this poll question with No. Even if you hate the Live series and Live 15 not releasing Live 16 would take away choice for customers, eliminate competition which will hurt the overall development of basketball games, and make all the work EA did the past two+ years worthless.

I haven't played Live 15 yet so I have no opinion about the game except that it sounds like a fun, improved experience over last year. I'll formulate an opinion once I play the demo but whether I hate the game, am slightly disappointed, slightly impressed, or love the game I will still support the idea that Live 16 should happen.
Live is not competition for 2K. I was fortunate to speak with some of the 2K guys off of the record and nothing Live does, or has done recently, has really pushed them. The competiton is more of the community here and our expectations, than fans gravitating to Live and forcing 2k to step up. I've played Live 15 and there's nothing there that will push 2k other than maybe crowd atmosphere for big games. Presentation is solid in Live, but 2k has Shaq and Ernie and the half time and post game interview, so that's a wash. I said they don't need to do Live 16 cause the direction with this base of Live is years and years behind expectations of today, but if they rebooted with EA Bball 16 with a true fresh start, then competition could be possible.
 
# 7 poloelite @ 10/28/14 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I'm not a fan of EASports games in general. They just don't emulate sports well. With that said, competition is ALWAYS good. So if nothing else NBA Live will push 2KSports to continue to improve their NBA game. Everyone should WANT competition as it's the consumers who win with competition between companies. Look at what Madden has become, and it's sales, to see what happens when there is no competition. So yes, there definitely should be a NBA Live game next year even though I have no plans of buying or renting it. In the end, even if it's a bad game, it's still good for consumers.
I think we disagree with competition. I play ball and sometimes I go to the court and they're scrubs there and they don't push me to become better or play harder. Just because they're present, doesn't make them competition. If you drop an update to Live 14, with no editing, sliders, next gen mode concepts and lackluster gameplay, AI and animations, that's not competition. It's the same as when 2k dropped All Pro Football with no NFL license. That was not competition to Madden, because what it lacked. NBA Live 10 and 2k10 was the last competition with bball games and it pushed 2k11 and Elite. As a sports gamer I want two good to great games to choose from, not one stellar and one beta. Jay-Z isn't worried about that new Soulja Boy album lol.
 
# 8 RipCityAndy @ 10/28/14 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
In a nutshell, NO. This game is too far behind and the base Live 15 has is 5 years too late. Unless they take another 2 years off with a full reboot, I can't see this particular foundation being viable in this marketplace as a full price basketball simulation. The only other route I see for this base is inventing the first 5 on 5 true arcade experience that isn't relying on a 1 to 1 comparison with the pro game. There are too many animation, gameplay, AI and mode items they have to add back in and tune over the course of several years to even make this playable for 2014. Imagine where expectations will be years from now? The graphics update, that still needs work, took them a longer time to over haul to the point where modes were untouched, the game was delayed and things like editing and sliders had to be ignored. To add those things back in and be functional to today's standards may take another 2 years alone, not touching anything else. I would love to see competition, but I also have to be honest about what NBA Live is at this point. I was a big Ice Cube fan growing up, but there came a point where it just wasn't the same anymore and time passed him by musically. The same has happened for Live. Doesn't take away the good years though 95-04.
This is a misleading post with bad poll answers. I'll give you some reasons why:

1) This game is getting moderate to good feedback from users playing the trial. This whole poll is based on the premise that the game is bad and possibly doesn't warrant a next game. Notice how these two poll questions have totally different messages:
a) After playing Live 15, how do you feel about the future of the franchise?
b) Should there be a Live 16 next season?

2) OB has already said they are making another game. Whether the community thinks they should make another game is a moot point.

3) The voting options don't allow for the possibility that people may have a positive outlook on Live 16. The possible outcomes range from a negative to reservedly positive. You don't give a full spectrum of opinions to choose from.
For example: Do you think there should be another OS poll?
a) No. This one is terrible,
b) I never read the poll posts,
c) maybe, if this poll was good.

This feels like a Live bashing post rather than a legitimate community opinion poll...
 
# 9 RipCityAndy @ 10/28/14 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityAndy
This is a misleading post with bad poll answers. I'll give you some reasons why:

1) This game is getting moderate to good feedback from users playing the trial. This whole poll is based on the premise that the game is bad and possibly doesn't warrant a next game. Notice how these two poll questions have totally different messages:
a) After playing Live 15, how do you feel about the future of the franchise?
b) Should there be a Live 16 next season?

2) OB has already said they are making another game. Whether the community thinks they should make another game is a moot point.

3) The voting options don't allow for the possibility that people may have a positive outlook on Live 16. The possible outcomes range from a negative to reservedly positive. You don't give a full spectrum of opinions to choose from.
For example: Do you think there should be another OS poll?
a) No. This one is terrible,
b) I never read the poll posts,
c) maybe, if this poll was good.

This feels like a Live bashing post rather than a legitimate community opinion poll...
Sorry... not meant to quote poloelite there.
 
# 10 bballshawn24 @ 10/28/14 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
Live is not competition for 2K. I was fortunate to speak with some of the 2K guys off of the record and nothing Live does, or has done recently, has really pushed them. The competiton is more of the community here and our expectations, than fans gravitating to Live and forcing 2k to step up. I've played Live 15 and there's nothing there that will push 2k other than maybe crowd atmosphere for big games. Presentation is solid in Live, but 2k has Shaq and Ernie and the half time and post game interview, so that's a wash. I said they don't need to do Live 16 cause the direction with this base of Live is years and years behind expectations of today, but if they rebooted with EA Bball 16 with a true fresh start, then competition could be possible.
i dont know if if i'll get introuble for this, but im calling bull. you'e a 2k fanboy. Why are you devoting so much time on this thread to put down live? I agree 2k is better but live doesnt suck and isnt that far behind. But hey everyone has an opinion.
 
# 11 poloelite @ 10/28/14 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityAndy
This is a misleading post with bad poll answers. I'll give you some reasons why:

1) This game is getting moderate to good feedback from users playing the trial. This whole poll is based on the premise that the game is bad and possibly doesn't warrant a next game. Notice how these two poll questions have totally different messages:
a) After playing Live 15, how do you feel about the future of the franchise?
b) Should there be a Live 16 next season?

2) OB has already said they are making another game. Whether the community thinks they should make another game is a moot point.

3) The voting options don't allow for the possibility that people may have a positive outlook on Live 16. The possible outcomes range from a negative to reservedly positive. You don't give a full spectrum of opinions to choose from.
For example: Do you think there should be another OS poll?
a) No. This one is terrible,
b) I never read the poll posts,
c) maybe, if this poll was good.

This feels like a Live bashing post rather than a legitimate community opinion poll...
All good bro lol.. Trust me, I would LOVE for Live to be good again, but I'm trying to take the more honest approach.
 
# 12 RipCityAndy @ 10/28/14 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
All good bro lol.. Trust me, I would LOVE for Live to be good again, but I'm trying to take the more honest approach.
For sure. Your opinion is totally valid. My issue is with the poll itself.
 
# 13 poloelite @ 10/28/14 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballshawn24
i dont know if if i'll get introuble for this, but im calling bull. you'e a 2k fanboy. Why are you devoting so much time on this thread to put down live? I agree 2k is better but live doesnt suck and isnt that far behind. But hey everyone has an opinion.
My dude, I hear you, but I don't get that if you're critical of one game you're a fan boy of another. In Live 15 you can only choose one team in Dynasty mode, can't edit players, rosters, create a player, change sliders, no classic teams, euro teams, crew type mode, the AI, animations and gameplay are behind as well. That's not opinion, those are facts. It will take years to add all of that in and work properly to expectations of today, that's fact. Expectations will grow further by the time those things are added, that's fact as well. I bought Live 14 and EA Access just for Live 15. If we actually call them out to be on par with the competition, instead of being beta testers, maybe we will get two good fully featured games that will push each other. Instead we're getting a similar experience to how 360/PS3 launched and we shouldn't pay full price for that in 2014. 2K isn't perfect by far, but really look at everything that is there in that package for $60 and what's in this one for $60 and tell me as gamers we don't have the right to have a critical opinion?
 
# 14 scottyp180 @ 10/28/14 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
Live is not competition for 2K. I was fortunate to speak with some of the 2K guys off of the record and nothing Live does, or has done recently, has really pushed them. The competiton is more of the community here and our expectations, than fans gravitating to Live and forcing 2k to step up. I've played Live 15 and there's nothing there that will push 2k other than maybe crowd atmosphere for big games. Presentation is solid in Live, but 2k has Shaq and Ernie and the half time and post game interview, so that's a wash. I said they don't need to do Live 16 cause the direction with this base of Live is years and years behind expectations of today, but if they rebooted with EA Bball 16 with a true fresh start, then competition could be possible.
Live might not compete with 2K step by step but just by being an option Live SHOULD cause the 2K team to continue to push their game. At the very least the 2k team should look at what Live does well, like atmosphere, and find ways to improve that aspect in their game.

I've been tough on Live in the past but it is clear that taking years off has no improved the franchise. The only way this game can improve and truly by a viable option is to continue releasing games and build on feedback.

I don't think anyone expected Live to be 2K's equal within 2 years. It is just not a realistic time frame. EA has essentially started from scratch since 2010 while 2K has been building on success since 2k10, 2k11.I would much rather Live have yearly releases and continue to improve so we can witness the development rather than sit on the shelf and have people speculate about how good it might be or how the franchise is doomed.
 
# 15 poloelite @ 10/28/14 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Live might not compete with 2K step by step but just by being an option Live SHOULD cause the 2K team to continue to push their game. At the very least the 2k team should look at what Live does well, like atmosphere, and find ways to improve that aspect in their game.

I've been tough on Live in the past but it is clear that taking years off has no improved the franchise. The only way this game can improve and truly by a viable option is to continue releasing games and build on feedback.

I don't think anyone expected Live to be 2K's equal within 2 years. It is just not a realistic time frame. EA has essentially started from scratch since 2010 while 2K has been building on success since 2k10, 2k11.I would much rather Live have yearly releases and continue to improve so we can witness the development rather than sit on the shelf and have people speculate about how good it might be or how the franchise is doomed.
I hear you and glad that we can have an honest debate about this. I think it does harm to continue to release inferior products for years at full price because you turn people off year after year who might have purchased a full product from you when it was ready. My realistic expectations for Live 15 was lower based on 14, but the fact that you're putting out iterations that are lacking does not help public perception or improve competition in my opinion. By the time they actually release a fully featured and capable bball game imagine how tarnished their reputation would be that no one outside of loyalists would try it. I think they had a huge opportunity with Live 14 to come out strong and it set a bad tone. Live 15 still being behind on the court and with features doesn't help either. To say, here comes Live 16, won't exactly bring new customers or repair those who felt like they got burned with 14 and 15. Just like Elite, I think a new name, fully featured and reasonably polished bball game is what this game needs to win back public perception.
 
# 16 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 10/28/14 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
In a nutshell, NO. This game is too far behind and the base Live 15 has is 5 years too late. Unless they take another 2 years off with a full reboot, I can't see this particular foundation being viable in this marketplace as a full price basketball simulation. The only other route I see for this base is inventing the first 5 on 5 true arcade experience that isn't relying on a 1 to 1 comparison with the pro game. There are too many animation, gameplay, AI and mode items they have to add back in and tune over the course of several years to even make this playable for 2014. Imagine where expectations will be years from now? The graphics update, that still needs work, took them a longer time to over haul to the point where modes were untouched, the game was delayed and things like editing and sliders had to be ignored. To add those things back in and be functional to today's standards may take another 2 years alone, not touching anything else. I would love to see competition, but I also have to be honest about what NBA Live is at this point. I was a big Ice Cube fan growing up, but there came a point where it just wasn't the same anymore and time passed him by musically. The same has happened for Live. Doesn't take away the good years though 95-04.
Great post & well said! This is a mature & realistic way at looking at it. Any reasonable fair minded person should want Live to succeed just for the simple fact of having a choice in sports games. We need competition in all sports in my opinion. At the same time we have to be realistic & quit treating Live as if they're a mistreated step child lol. We have to judge it according to 2014 standards & take the kiddy gloves off. I hope there's a Live 16 but it needs major animation/AI improvements!
 
# 17 kennyacid @ 10/28/14 01:30 PM
Yes there should be a live 16 ...if and only if they continue on the path their on and don't do the Ea scrap plan like they always do. It doesn't have to even be a big graphic upgrade or anything just focus on animations,improve faces,gameplay and improving offline/online modes.
 
# 18 poloelite @ 10/28/14 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Great post & well said! This is a mature & realistic way at looking at it. Any reasonable fair minded person should want Live to succeed just for the simple fact of having a choice in sports games. We need competition in all sports in my opinion. At the same time we have to be realistic & quit treating Live as if they're a mistreated step child lol. We have to judge it according to 2014 standards & take the kiddy gloves off. I hope there's a Live 16 but it needs major animation/AI improvements!
Only thing I disagree with is there needs to be a Live 16. Just like NBA Elite, the name Live induces reduced expectations and an inferior product at this point. Release a game in 2015 for sure, call it something new, brand it with confidence, show gameplay, follow through on time lines and make sure it's fully featured. Even if they have to be patched, step out brand new and with confidence. When I see the name Live 16, it's a bad extension at this point. Like everyone has said we had low expectations for Live 15 because of 14. It can't survive and become true competition this way.
 
# 19 scottyp180 @ 10/28/14 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
I think we disagree with competition. I play ball and sometimes I go to the court and they're scrubs there and they don't push me to become better or play harder. Just because they're present, doesn't make them competition. If you drop an update to Live 14, with no editing, sliders, next gen mode concepts and lackluster gameplay, AI and animations, that's not competition. It's the same as when 2k dropped All Pro Football with no NFL license. That was not competition to Madden, because what it lacked. NBA Live 10 and 2k10 was the last competition with bball games and it pushed 2k11 and Elite. As a sports gamer I want two good to great games to choose from, not one stellar and one beta. Jay-Z isn't worried about that new Soulja Boy album lol.
You need to think of competition from the other perspective. Those "scrubs" on the court aren't getting better unless they go up against competition better than them. Sure they can practice on their own and improve some basic skills but they won't know how good they actually are until they go up against other players and have their talent accessed.

I could go shoot around a court by myself and think I'm the best player in the world. I can hit 3s, mid range, I can dribble and drive, but I won't know how good I am or what I am good at until I play against competition. That is when I would be able to assess the areas I need to improve.

The threat of competition should be enough to keep a team or game from getting comfortable and lackadaisical. We have all witnessed a top ranked team (in any sport) lose a game or series to a team they were suppose to squash. This causes those teams to refocus and get back on their game. If 2k continues to see Live as "no competition" then eventually Live will sneak up on 2k, gain a strong fanbase, and include features and aspects that it does better than 2k (which some people would argue has already happened, in some regards, this year)
 
# 20 champsbasketball @ 10/28/14 02:01 PM
Nba Live has a new team so basketball fans have to give them time. 2k did not start off the best video basketball game over night. I like the way this new Live team is going I hope they get better every year and listen to the fans
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.