02:04 PM - September 17, 2014 by MMChrisS
There's a new baseball game coming to town by the name of Super Mega Baseball. Super Mega Baseball promises to bring a fresh and fun new experience for PlayStation gamers, with a graphical style that's a bit over the top -- but with quite realistic baseball on the field.
Created by Metalhead Software, the game seeks to begin to fill the void left by big publishers who vacated the non-licensed but more lighthearted area within world of sports video games.
In a blog on PlayStation.com, co-founder of Metalhead Studios Scott Drader said this about the vision behind the game, "I’ll acknowledge that there’s some nostalgia in my words. The reality is that games have improved, and so have expectations. There are reasons we see fewer sports games now. There are reasons that indie developers haven’t penetrated the sports genre in the same way they have other genres. I could talk all day about how these things came to be, but let’s just say that we decided it was absolutely necessary that we make a new couch-coop/competitive baseball game."
Here are some relevant details on the game:
- 2-4 player couch co-op/competitive: This can be head-to-head, 2v1, 2v2, or co-op vs the CPU. When you’ve got a teammate, you’ll be alternating batting/running each at-bat, and alternating pitching/fielding each inning. This means everyone’s involved and you’ll have to be on your toes. There’s per-user, sliding difficulty settings, meaning you’ll be able to easily setup a close game between friends of any skill levels.
- Ultra responsive, blazing fast gameplay: In a nutshell, you’re going to spend most of your time telling your players what to do. All the cinematic stuff is skippable and you’ll be able to cut through 9-innings in 20 minutes. The basic controls are ultra-easy to learn, but you’ll need to master jumping, diving, wall-catches, power-swings, and cut-off plays to properly dominate your friends.
- Full batting/pitching stats: There’s not much to say here other than that the information you expect to see is all there.
- Realistic simulation and physics: Don’t be fooled by the light-hearted/comical presentation; the fundamentals of the sport of baseball are here.
- Leveling System: You’ll tally up Starpoints for hits/strikeouts/catches during each game, Level Up once you have enough, and then hire staff to train and coach your players, boosting their abilities. Use that jacked up team to win at higher difficulties (and post higher leaderboard scores than your friends!).
- Team customizations: Customize the look of your squad to your hearts delight. You can make as many aesthetic adjustments as you want. Laaaaadies… are in the house (and the game).