Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post



Are you like me and pretty much hopeless at the plate in MLB 14 The Show more than much of the time? If so, T.J. Lauerman (@thatsportsgamer) is here to give you advice to improve your hitting in four simple minutes.

After you watch the video, please subscribe to T.J. on YouTube and follow his channel on Twitch. You can also check out T.J. on the Press Row Podcast on a regular basis!

Visit ThatSportsGamer.com.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HustlinOwl @ 07/30/14 10:17 AM
Veteran settings so PCI is more forgiving and from looks of it HR Derby
 
# 2 huskerfan4life @ 07/30/14 11:01 AM
wow I like that, I am going to try that with the dynamic diffuclty
 
# 3 Malcd9583 @ 07/30/14 11:20 AM
Hey how do you get the cursor? I'm new to the game and I hardly play it because I have no clue what's going on. In more of a madden 2k player.
 
# 4 Kirby_SCEA @ 07/30/14 11:29 AM
I've recently adopted this same strategy for hitting myself. I used to just leave the PCI in the center and react to the pitch location if I liked it, but it led to inconsistent results. Now, I tend to "camp" in a part of the strike zone that is a strength of that particular hitter. So for example, if I have a batter that is a good oppo hitter and has hot zones on the outside part of the plate, I will probably set my PCI up there. If I have a power-hitting pull hitter, I usually set up like That Sports Gamer does (down and in). Hitting like this is still a definite test of skill because you have to be very disciplined not to swing at a pitch that is not where you are looking to swing, and you still have to have good timing with your swing to have solid contact.

I'm glad this video was posted. Hitting is one of the hardest things you can do in sports, and because of that it's a challenge in MLBTS, but this strategy replicates what many world-class hitters do in real life to be successful, and the cool part is that that translates to the game as well.
 
# 5 KBLover @ 07/30/14 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcd9583
Hey how do you get the cursor? I'm new to the game and I hardly play it because I have no clue what's going on. In more of a madden 2k player.
What interface do you use? If you use Timing, it won't show. For the others, it should and you can customize how it looks.
 
# 6 Malcd9583 @ 07/30/14 12:08 PM
So which one should I use?
 
# 7 cusefan74 @ 07/30/14 12:26 PM
The problem with leaving the PCI in one spot like that every pitch is, what if they don't throw it there? What if they throw it on the outside corner 3 pitches in a row and you get caught looking? I just turn the PCI off and play like that, much easier.
 
# 8 Blzer @ 07/30/14 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
The problem with leaving the PCI in one spot like that every pitch is, what if they don't throw it there? What if they throw it on the outside corner 3 pitches in a row and you get caught looking? I just turn the PCI off and play like that, much easier.
Like real baseball, if you're behind in the count or have two strikes you don't guess/look for specific pitches.
 
# 9 ThatSportsGamer @ 07/30/14 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
The problem with leaving the PCI in one spot like that every pitch is, what if they don't throw it there? What if they throw it on the outside corner 3 pitches in a row and you get caught looking? I just turn the PCI off and play like that, much easier.
I'm not saying to not swing at any pitch not in the zone you're looking at. If there are two strikes, obviously you need to be defensive and open up your zone. If you leave the cursor in the middle, you're going to have to react to the majority of pitches, most people you play, and the CPU are going to aim for corners. If you see the pitcher always going to another location, focus on that.

Looking in one area gives you a huge advantage if the pitch is there, if it's out of that zone, and there are two strikes, you actually probably end up with a better chance at fouling the ball off, rather than just making bad contact and grounding out.
 
# 10 Jadakiss88 @ 07/30/14 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsGamer
I'm not saying to not swing at any pitch not in the zone you're looking at. If there are two strikes, obviously you need to be defensive and open up your zone. If you leave the cursor in the middle, you're going to have to react to the majority of pitches, most people you play, and the CPU are going to aim for corners. If you see the pitcher always going to another location, focus on that.

Looking in one area gives you a huge advantage if the pitch is there, if it's out of that zone, and there are two strikes, you actually probably end up with a better chance at fouling the ball off, rather than just making bad contact and grounding out.
That helps me out alot as well as the video thanks. This is also my first year buying the game and have found that batting is my biggest issue.

One question, I notice that you seem to be referencing the Dynasty mode. Would you take this same approach when developing a player in TheShow mode?
 
# 11 ThatSportsGamer @ 07/30/14 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Veteran settings so PCI is more forgiving and from looks of it HR Derby
In my offline franchise I use Dynamic Difficulty, my hitting difficulty bounces between Hall of Fame and Legend (I'm fairly sure that's what the top 2 are called), and the same strategy works there. The only thing with that is the CPU seems to throw more balls, so you need to be more patient.
 
# 12 ThatSportsGamer @ 07/30/14 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadakiss88
One question, I notice that you seem to be referencing the Dynasty mode. Would you take this same approach when developing a player in TheShow mode?
Definitely. I'd also recommend putting training points toward Contact vs RHP and LHP first instead of focusing on Power vs RHP and LHP.
 
# 13 Jadakiss88 @ 07/30/14 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsGamer
Definitely. I'd also recommend putting training points toward Contact vs RHP and LHP first instead of focusing on Power vs RHP and LHP.
LOL!!! Yea...my first attempt at that mode I learned that the hardway. Thanks for the help.
 
# 14 HustlinOwl @ 07/30/14 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
The problem with leaving the PCI in one spot like that every pitch is, what if they don't throw it there? What if they throw it on the outside corner 3 pitches in a row and you get caught looking? I just turn the PCI off and play like that, much easier.
lol and this they will other than rookie/veteran AI will pick up on what sportsgamer is doing in higher difficulty and no throw to same spot over and over
 
# 15 HustlinOwl @ 07/30/14 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsGamer
In my offline franchise I use Dynamic Difficulty, my hitting difficulty bounces between Hall of Fame and Legend (I'm fairly sure that's what the top 2 are called), and the same strategy works there. The only thing with that is the CPU seems to throw more balls, so you need to be more patient.
I would show a video of that then where players slump and fatigue is accounted for none of those things are in for online franchise. Approach didnt work to well for Reds vs Angels lol #TSGTriplePlay JK
 
# 16 cardinalbird5 @ 07/30/14 08:34 PM
This approach....I am not hating, but it is extremely simplistic with no real thought process behind it. Plus it is on Veteran where the PCI took up half the zone lol.
 
# 17 HustlinOwl @ 07/30/14 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
This approach....I am not hating, but it is extremely simplistic with no real thought process behind it. Plus it is on Veteran where the PCI took up half the zone lol.
lol it didnt work for him in his league against me in the WS
 
# 18 nomo17k @ 07/31/14 02:18 AM
The approach wouldn't work against a good human player at a higher difficulty level, but I would say it's not a bad approach to lock in on a general location (although I would still sit on pitches down the middle) until you develop pitch recognition, plate discipline, and the skill to move PCI on fly. It's certainly better than having no approach and just react to whatever is fed to you.
 
# 19 Equinox831 @ 07/31/14 03:22 AM
I believe more in working the count and making the pitcher throw you a good pitch, but this a good method to use until you build up some confidence in recognizing pitches.
 
# 20 ThatSportsGamer @ 07/31/14 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
This approach....I am not hating, but it is extremely simplistic with no real thought process behind it. Plus it is on Veteran where the PCI took up half the zone lol.
I use the same approach in my franchise which I play on Dynamic Difficulty (hitting bounces between Hall of Fame and Legend), and the strategy works just fine there.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.