Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post



The cap on per-player compensation in the Ed O'Bannon case will be capped at $5,000 per year for players, with a maximum reward of up to $20,000 for players. However, the exact figure for what players could earn will be determined by the number of players who make a claim as well as what sport that player played (or plays). Other considerations will be if they appeared in the game either with their likeness or in a photograph, and the number of years the players appeared in the game.

No players receiving rewards will have their eligibility affected by the payout. In total, $60 million in settlements were reached between the Ed O'Bannon legal team and EA, the NCAA, and the CLC.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 52 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 XXstormmXX @ 06/30/14 06:13 PM
Wait does this mean that the NCAAFB series can continue?
 
# 2 kehlis @ 06/30/14 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Wait does this mean that the NCAAFB series can continue?
No, this has to do with players getting compensated for being illegally portrayed in the past.

It has nothing to do with portraying their likeness going forward.
 
# 3 ericromain @ 06/30/14 07:12 PM
EA NCAA could have avoided this completely if they had just left the accurate player numbers off the loaded game while allowing the community to access the "real players" from a web based fan created roster file. Now fans of college sport games are suffering.
 
# 4 Dr Death @ 06/30/14 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericromain
EA NCAA could have avoided this completely if they had just left the accurate player numbers off the loaded game while allowing the community to access the "real players" from a web based fan created roster file. Now fans of college sport games are suffering.
Yep, and $60 million is nothing to sneeze at. This tells me that, sadly, we won't be seeing another college football game for a LONG time, if ever.
 
# 5 grabursock55 @ 06/30/14 07:59 PM
you gotta spend money to make money!
 
# 6 XXstormmXX @ 07/01/14 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
No, this has to do with players getting compensated for being illegally portrayed in the past.

It has nothing to do with portraying their likeness going forward.
That stinks, I was getting excited for a new game.
 
# 7 wolverinemaniac @ 07/01/14 10:13 AM
none of them will get 20k they did an avg of what the expect them to clear after all is said and done and it was 200-500/player....waste of time....thanks for screwing up us getting our game you greedy mofos....
 
# 8 puba1978 @ 07/01/14 10:22 AM
Straight BS!!!!!
I wonder if Ed Obannon was a star NBA player with even the modest amount of fortune...would he have went on this quest? My itching Balls say NO. Straight up scum bag
 
# 9 guitar4468 @ 07/01/14 11:40 AM
I still don't understand why the couldn't just have a random player generator for rosters from now on. I could see not making the rosters life like, but why can't we just play with schools with fake people? After about three or four years into a dynasty, its all fake players anyway.
 
# 10 barsoffury @ 07/01/14 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4468
I still don't understand why the couldn't just have a random player generator for rosters from now on. I could see not making the rosters life like, but why can't we just play with schools with fake people? After about three or four years into a dynasty, its all fake players anyway.
Conferences and schools are/have dropped out of this and no longer want to be affiliated with the video game for the risk of being sued by students/players. That's the bigger issue. Plus I think EA agreed with stop making games to avoid further legal action. Once everything is sorted out with the likeness thing I believe we'll have NCAA video games again. Just it will be a long time before that happens.
 
# 11 beerdujour @ 07/02/14 08:52 AM
the guys who rebuild rosters to have actual players on them should get $20,000 for their efforts, always appreciated!
 
# 12 MichaelAngeloTMNT @ 07/02/14 09:04 AM
You guys are looking at this wrong. Sure, we don't have a game this year or probably next year, but once the NCAA allows the Athletes to receive compensation, imagine how realistic the game will be. Real players, likeness, headshots, ect. These athletes should get paid, O'Bannon won't earn much from this trial, but he will help Athletes get paid in the future and allow a much more realistic video game for us to enjoy.
 
# 13 tarheelguy4736 @ 07/02/14 11:21 AM
Here is a what if solution that maybe anybody with a legal background could help: What if the Judge sides with the NCAA and the O'Bannon team loses the case? The likelihood of that happening looks slim but it could happen. Wouldn't that set a precedent for future cases? So student athletes in the future couldn't be able to sue on the rights of likeness because of how this turned out and the ruling? And if that is the case, wouldn't the EA Sports team be able to go back to making the game like it was before but with less obvious players/numbers on the team (ie, randomized rosters)? Just a thought and not sure how that would hold up legally.
 
# 14 MichaelAngeloTMNT @ 07/02/14 12:10 PM
Either way there will be an NCAA Football game again. The EA Exec said during the trial they were making $80 mil a year off of NCAA Football alone. EA said it wants to continue to make the Football series, they just need to wait until this is straightened out. Whether the NCAA wins or O'Bannon wins, there will be a NCAA Football game again. NCAA Basketball or Baseball is unlikely, but possible.
 
# 15 JHamilton9 @ 07/02/14 02:11 PM
The real winner may be the FCS/I-AA players that were in earlier versions of the game. EA Sports didn't bother changing all the I-AA rosters with each version, so some teams weren't updated for 4+ years.

It will be interesting to see if those particular players will receive the maximum $20,000 for appearing in all the versions or just $5,000 for just appearing "once."
 
# 16 noplace @ 07/03/14 10:14 AM
Does this include the Bill Walsh series?
 
# 17 kehlis @ 07/05/14 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy4736
Here is a what if solution that maybe anybody with a legal background could help: What if the Judge sides with the NCAA and the O'Bannon team loses the case? The likelihood of that happening looks slim but it could happen. Wouldn't that set a precedent for future cases? So student athletes in the future couldn't be able to sue on the rights of likeness because of how this turned out and the ruling? And if that is the case, wouldn't the EA Sports team be able to go back to making the game like it was before but with less obvious players/numbers on the team (ie, randomized rosters)? Just a thought and not sure how that would hold up legally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngeloTMNT
Either way there will be an NCAA Football game again. The EA Exec said during the trial they were making $80 mil a year off of NCAA Football alone. EA said it wants to continue to make the Football series, they just need to wait until this is straightened out. Whether the NCAA wins or O'Bannon wins, there will be a NCAA Football game again. NCAA Basketball or Baseball is unlikely, but possible.
Guys, as the story indicate this was the settlement, it is not going in front of a judge and is done.



As for the future of NCAA games there is no lock there will be a game in the future. If you clicked on the top link in the story it shows you that EA also had a very large settlement with the CLC which is the biggest problem.

As was mentioned previously in the thread, some teams have already dropped out (or threatened to) of the CLC so a future game would be like back in the Bill Walsh days where you were playing games like Tallahassee vs. South Bend.

Given the success of Arena football I don't think there is much of a market for a game like that nowadays.


We can hope but I'm not as optimistic as some.
 
# 18 supermanemblem @ 07/05/14 10:21 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is even going to trial. The courts have ruled that fantasy leagues can use actual pro player names and stats without compensation, so I don't see why EA has to pay when most of the player info was inaccurate. The picture of the player was generic, and again, was sometimes way off. Where the kid was from wasn't always on point. This case should have been thrown out the minute it was filed. Hell, maybe I should launch a suit and claim a fan in a game was infringing on my likeness. There is a Black guy in the last few years of MLB that my friends say look like me.
 
# 19 Playmakers @ 07/05/14 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngeloTMNT
You guys are looking at this wrong. Sure, we don't have a game this year or probably next year, but once the NCAA allows the Athletes to receive compensation, imagine how realistic the game will be. Real players, likeness, headshots, ect. These athletes should get paid, O'Bannon won't earn much from this trial, but he will help Athletes get paid in the future and allow a much more realistic video game for us to enjoy.
There are 126 teams which equals roughly 8820 players...

I don't think that would lead to a more realistic game because I doubt EA would take the time to get all those players accurate.

That would be headshots or ratings....

Hopefully this leads to another NCAA game soon but i don't think it will change the way EA has been ratings players.
 
# 20 kehlis @ 07/05/14 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is even going to trial.
Seriously, are you guys reading this at all?

The story makes it clear its been settled therefore not going to trial.

In the post before yours, I mentioned it again.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.