Home
EA Sports UFC News Post


EA Sports UFC arrives today, some have downloaded the game already for the PlayStation 4. While we have plenty of early impressions from users that found the game early, we wanted to open up a new topic for everyone.

Play a few matches, play around in the modes, then let us know what you think.

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 1 N51_rob @ 06/17/14 11:49 AM
This game is why I feel like every sports game should have a simulation mode for the most hardcore of fans and a mode that is more "inviting" for those that are casuals. I am no UFC fan, I much prefer boxing to UFC (mostly because I don't understand what is happening when they go to the ground). That said this game is fun, and I will be able to extract some hours of enjoyment out of it. I was on the fence about buying it after playing the demo, but I needed another game for my rotation and I am done with Madden. So this will fill in nicely with The Show and AC-IV.

One of my biggest issues from the demo has carried over to the retail copy. User stamina for me depletes way faster than the CPUs. The CPU can throw a 4 punch combination, mix in a kick and attempt a take down and have relatively little stamina loss, I throw 4 or 5 punches/kicks and I am wiped.

In my limited time it does seem like there are varying styles for the fighters. After watching Gustafsson attempt numerous takedowns in the demo, I picked a fighter with lower ground ratings (Michael Bisping) and in my fight with him he didn't attempt a takedown once.

This is all from a very small sample size, but I am liking the game better than I did the demo, even if some of the things I didn't like are still present.

Again, this is from someone who doesn't really follow the UFC all that closely and if I would characterize myself it would be as an extremely casual fan.
 
# 2 Swamp Swagger @ 06/17/14 11:55 AM
I've been so busy I have not even opened my game yet. I'm still kinda on the fence even though I really wanna try it out...

Wanna hear some more opinions from people on here
 
# 3 Reed1417 @ 06/17/14 11:58 AM
When I get off work today I'll be picking it up. I may do a bit of streaming today as well. So I will keep everyone posted on that.


Reed is comin' atcha!!
 
# 4 jdawg131 @ 06/17/14 12:05 PM
I'm fairly new to MMA games (only started playing the demo and UFC Undisputed 2010) over the past week, but I've been having fun so far. Have been playing as Liddell and going for the knockout. Coming from the Fight Night series, I really need to work on my clinches and ground game; submissions are out the window for me at the moment. Did I mention that it is awesome playing as Bruce Lee?
 
# 5 StoneColdSwede @ 06/17/14 12:08 PM
I turned off the HUD thing immediatly and it makes me much more focused than on the demo because you never quite know when a rocking blow is about to be delivered.

Also, the submissions really are great and I'm loving the new system.

The only real problem is what many have stated before me; the stamina which leads to fights ending really, really quickly. And I don't like using the accelerated clock because that made it feel like you could get rocked even quicker than when using a real clock.
 
# 6 Swamp Swagger @ 06/17/14 12:11 PM
Wish I would have got the codes to get those to guys early. Makes me wonder how long the career mode is because that's how you unlock them other wise

I'll probably do that first
 
# 7 CAMPBLACKMAMBA24 @ 06/17/14 12:18 PM
If anyone gets an extra Bruce Lee code I would gladly take it off your hands. PS4


Sent from my iPhone
 
# 8 davidbix @ 06/17/14 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
One of my biggest issues from the demo has carried over to the retail copy. User stamina for me depletes way faster than the CPUs. The CPU can throw a 4 punch combination, mix in a kick and attempt a take down and have relatively little stamina loss, I throw 4 or 5 punches/kicks and I am wiped.
Have you played online yet? Online against good opposition is a much better experience than fighting the AI.

Also try playing around with not using the shoulder modifiers for strikes as much. I had a five round rivalry fight online with an EA employee where I stayed fresher than him because I used very few technique strikes early on.
 
# 9 The JareBear @ 06/17/14 12:54 PM
This is my impression from the thread that was closed.

Spoiler


I have played about 10 more matches vs the CPU. I play on Hard, Accel Clock ON (I honestly feel you will never see a five round decision without accel clock on until they tone down the strike output), HUD off

Just like before, everything I say is only regarding HUMAN vs CPU

I wouldn't go as far to say that all the fighers fight the same, but honestly, the only real difference I see is some guys go for takedowns and clinch more than others. Either way the CPU is pretty much always content on being aggressive and never really looking to fight defensively or counter. I'm honestly not sure there are actual "game plans" the CPU follows, I think it just has some ideas of what it wants to do based on what you do, and all those ideas seem to involve being aggressive. I don't feel like there is much chess match against the CPU as there should be.

I have lost a lot of fights, which is good, lack of challenge isn't a problem or anything like that, I just feel like, as I said in my other impression, it's just really arcadey. Not trying to pull the "Tekken" card out like it was in the other thread, but I just really wish there was a "sim" mode. I honestly don't feel like it plays out like real fights.

I knew that the roster was going to be a little small and we knew that a long time ago but I didn't quite realize how many guys are missing.

I also think the controls can feel a little "herky jerky" sometimes, it seems like certain scenarios just animate or control a little awkwardly.

I am going to dive into career mode today and see how that is.

Edit:

Please don't flame me, by the way. I know on this forum there has been a little bit of flaming for anyone who had negative things to say about the game. Please just let me have my opinion. I am not saying the game sucks. I haven't played it anywhere near long enough to give it a rating or render a verdict on it yet. These are just my EARLY impressions. I do not feel like I am right or anyone else is wrong, this is just my observations so far

Edit 2:

I know the dev team went to UFC 174. Well, there were some fights on that card that weren't very exciting, espcially Schaub vs Arlovski. Those kind of fights happen in real life. Sometimes matchups and game plans card to card combine for a crappy fight. I think in one round of that Schaub/Arlovski fight only 30 strikes were thrown total or something like that. That happens in the UFC sometimes. You will never see that kind of variation in this game, unfortunately
 
# 10 aholbert32 @ 06/17/14 01:17 PM
Online is kind of easy so far. Most people have no takedown defense or gorund game. They just try to spam power shots.
 
# 11 Swamp Swagger @ 06/17/14 01:23 PM
So do ratings on the fighters even seem to matter? Or is almost always come down to the better player?
 
# 12 Weedboy @ 06/17/14 01:24 PM
Have not went online yet but can tell you the roster is abysmal. I really cant think of too many intriguing matches and am gonna spend the rest of the day making cafs. I need someone for chuck to fight so im making randy and tito first.
 
# 13 davidbix @ 06/17/14 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Online is kind of easy so far. Most people have no takedown defense or gorund game. They just try to spam power shots.
We'll play later, then (I think I sent you a request over the weekend after I solicited online opponents for my review copy on Reddit).
 
# 14 davidbix @ 06/17/14 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Swagger
So do ratings on the fighters even seem to matter? Or is almost always come down to the better player?
In Championship, pretty early on (maybe late in white belt) I easily beat Cain using Mark Hunt fighting super technically, so that might be your answer.
 
# 15 davidbix @ 06/17/14 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedboy
Have not went online yet but can tell you the roster is abysmal. I really cant think of too many intriguing matches and am gonna spend the rest of the day making cafs. I need someone for chuck to fight so im making randy and tito first.
That's a ridiculous exaggeration.
 
# 16 Inhocmark @ 06/17/14 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Online is kind of easy so far. Most people have no takedown defense or gorund game. They just try to spam power shots.
You get that in every sports game though until the cream rises to the top. All these things tend to even out.
 
# 17 aholbert32 @ 06/17/14 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Swagger
So do ratings on the fighters even seem to matter? Or is almost always come down to the better player?
Ratings matter a lot. I lost my last two fights primarily because my opponents used Rousey and Silva and I used Zingano and Bader.
 
# 18 Sgt_Carnage @ 06/17/14 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedboy
Have not went online yet but can tell you the roster is abysmal. I really cant think of too many intriguing matches and am gonna spend the rest of the day making cafs. I need someone for chuck to fight so im making randy and tito first.
The roster has been known for awhile man, so I don't understand why you bought this if you felt the roster stunk.
 
# 19 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/17/14 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
This game is why I feel like every sports game should have a simulation mode for the most hardcore of fans and a mode that is more "inviting" for those that are casuals. I am no UFC fan, I much prefer boxing to UFC (mostly because I don't understand what is happening when they go to the ground). That said this game is fun, and I will be able to extract some hours of enjoyment out of it. I was on the fence about buying it after playing the demo, but I needed another game for my rotation and I am done with Madden. So this will fill in nicely with The Show and AC-IV.

One of my biggest issues from the demo has carried over to the retail copy. User stamina for me depletes way faster than the CPUs. The CPU can throw a 4 punch combination, mix in a kick and attempt a take down and have relatively little stamina loss, I throw 4 or 5 punches/kicks and I am wiped.

In my limited time it does seem like there are varying styles for the fighters. After watching Gustafsson attempt numerous takedowns in the demo, I picked a fighter with lower ground ratings (Michael Bisping) and in my fight with him he didn't attempt a takedown once.

This is all from a very small sample size, but I am liking the game better than I did the demo, even if some of the things I didn't like are still present.

Again, this is from someone who doesn't really follow the UFC all that closely and if I would characterize myself it would be as an extremely casual fan.
Excellent post! This is exactly why I cancelled my preorder & I won't be getting this game. Everything you said is dead on. It's disappointing because I was really looking forward to this game smh.
 
# 20 The JareBear @ 06/17/14 02:21 PM
I definitely recommend doing the challenges, which are basically just extended tutorials, in areas you aren't comfortable. I have done the submission and wrestling challenges twice now to get black belt in everything and will do them a few more times until transition defense is automatic.
 

« Previous1234567892627Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.