11:57 AM - May 6, 2014 by MMChrisS
Happy MLB 14 The Show release day! Many of you are getting your first crack at MLB 14 The Show on PS4 right now, and despite some huge hiccups when it comes to the digital download of the game -- everything seems to be going smoothly. Here are some quick hitting (pun?) impressions:
- First off, the game is just smooth. The framerate makes the game feel more seamless and fluid.
- The core gameplay experience just isn't going to be that different, neither from previous years or from the PS3 version. A lot of the changes will need more time than I've had to digest. If you are going into The Show with other expectations, you are going to be disappointed.
- Quick counts/fast play is an incredibly efficient way to play the game. I have found myself forgetting to look at the count some and assuming it's 0-0 and taking a 1-2 pitch though.
- The graphics themselves are beautiful. But as many have been saying, it looks like an enhanced version of the PS3 version of the game moreso than a complete overhaul of the visual engine. The lighting is enhanced and the crowds and stadiums look better.
- The enhancements within The Show this year are found off of the field in the enhanced modes. No reinventing of the wheel this year.
If you are a more casual baseball fan and you already own the PS3 version, you will not see much difference in upgrading. If you are a hardcore fan or were waiting on the PS4 version, you will be getting a refined/better looking version of the game you've been playing on the PS3 for years.
Don't expect the wheel to be reinvented, but when it comes to delivering a good and solid version of baseball Sony appears to have another solid title on its hands. Look for our full review coming soon!