01:23 PM - April 8, 2014 by MMChrisS
There was something about the seeding in this year's NCAA basketball tournament that just felt different.
The selection committee attempted to weigh the entire season which led to some surprises from the ranks of No. 4 through No. 8 -- culminating in a national championship matchup between a seven and eight seed. The lowest combination in title game history didn't have your run of the mill Cinderellas though, as familiar faces in UConn and Kentucky squared off in last night's contest.
Sure, the numbers on the bracket say it was a bit of an underdog story -- Connecticut having a good but not great season and getting hot at the right time, all as a seven seed. A lot of drama throughout the opening rounds led to a surprise matchup, but it just didn't have the same feel to it.
Sound Off: Will we see a double-digit seed win a national championship in the next ten years?
Sports Headlines for April 8, 2014
- Remember that guy who got a Kentucky National Championship tattoo in the middle of the season? [Image]
- Fair-weather rapper: Drake starts the game in Kentucky gear and finishes wearing UConn swag. [Image]
- Adidas Puts 6 Cameras Inside Its World Cup Ball and Sends It on a Global Journey.
- March Sadness - A video collection of heartbreak & missed game winning shots from the NCAA Tournament. [YouTube]
- Kentucky's James Young splits the entire Connecticut defense for a dunk. [Animated Gif]