Home
News Post


It may leave prospective college athletes scrambling for ways to cover the cost of their education, but what if the removal of athletic scholarships was the key piece to cleaning up the integrity of the NCAA?

In an article at Nader.org, League of Fans has proposed such a concept.

Quote:
“By eliminating athletic scholarships and special admits from the college admissions offices for athletes, we could significantly mitigate many of the problems plaguing college sports today,” says Ken Reed. “We could also lessen many of the commercialization and professionalization abuses seeping down to the high school and youth sports levels.”


Sound Off: Does the future of college sports include an end to athletic scholarships?

Sports Headlines for March 31, 2014

Game: NCAA FootballReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 drewst18 @ 04/01/14 12:26 AM
If it does its not the way this article is wanting it done.

If it happens it will be because scholarships have been replaced with a modest salary . There is 0% chance athletic scholarships will be taken away and not replaced. There are a number of more likely scenarios before this were to happen, no athletic scholarships would essentially turn college level athletics into an intramural activity.

I am actually surprised this hasn't happened already but you would instantly see a billionaire launch a NFL/NBA/MLB Farm system in which players aged 18 - 22 play prior to going Pro.

We already see it up here in Canada with Hockey where college is pretty rare route for NHL prospects. It is a big money business but would really be a last resort, but will NEVER happen because regardless of academic integrity or not the NCAA and the schools don't give a damn "it's all about the Benjamin's"

A few passing grades for people who don't deserve them are a small price to pay for the millions they bring in a year.
 
# 2 BizDevConglomerate @ 04/01/14 01:07 AM
If we weren't such scared nation. Scared in the sense of the next man coming up and making something, this wouldn't be an issue. Lets look at Europe, our big brother and expellor of misfits who funded this great nation. Kids become pros when they see fit. They have deep amature farm systems to develop young talent. Here they say ON NON OTHER THAN ESPN, that without college sports the kids marketability wouldn't be as big. Why? WHat about the fact that he/ she gets scutinized for taking benefits in when they need them.

The ncaa is the biggest racket, but they're not alone. So are the leagues they breed talent for. Without the ncaa, the kids would he able to skip school and hire tutors if the so pleased. And if the agent was smart they would. What are the super student athletes learning in two semesters, nothing. Its all ball. But look at what the schools generate in funds from the likes of Derrick ROSE, to JJ REDDICK. Free markets should be the way of everything not just those who have the knowledge and savvy to manipulate the markets.

Now Vernon Davis is offering himself as a stock, if this isn't the closest thing to slave trading, it has to be free market ability. One argument says heck no this is an outrage, its a sign of the times, the other says this is long overdue. People should have the freedom to do.as they please. Thus the collegiate athlete saga. If one athlete offers himself up the same way will he/she be disqualified, or allowed to participate? What if the athlete sold his/ her services for sex? In America its legal in some places, the point is the NCAA is unjust in its control over student athletes. However we the student athlete, and society allow it and enforce it.
Money is the only reason this continues. The lesser student athlete know about paid players, even.in.community colleges. I played at.Hudson Valley CC and we knew our 6'2 250 MLB who ran a 4.6 was getting paid. House and all. But you mean this is wrong? No, we needed him and the others.they paid. Say D1 schools didn't pay players and they TV ad money was on the table to the.best league, why wouldn't HBCU be number 1? Put the same players in HBCU uniforms and Bowl money stadiums, with.big corporate sponsors with alumni like RICE, WILLIAMS, PAYTON, and coaching like Eddie Robinson, there would be no D1 juggernaut's.

But greed and supremacy has led to the control of the future of these athletes. You give a player 100k instead of a scholarship, he will either do this or that, but you give him/her a full ride and the career is ended early, they never cared about school because sports were the way out of poverty. Now you have a wouldst been or a coulda been. Greedy CEO's don't see this. Ceo-.Athletic Directors, who think a college education is equal to 4years of 50-100k/ year. More students may elect to stay and pay their own tuition knowing Its their choice.
They try to play the equality card, but why, Woman aren't paid equally as males, and neither are minorities vs. White males. So create a tier system that pays the player according to his her value. Perfect example is Manzel vs. Winston. Winston was top tier top three QB. The highest needed position, but Johnny Football wasn't. He was a upper to mid tier talent. After his first year(Manzel) Should've received a raise for increasing his stock and over achieving. This is just. These players have to deal with scandal, paparazzi, and super stress. Then perform at a superb level.
Its time to pay them.
 
# 3 RandyBass @ 04/01/14 03:25 AM
From article:

Quote:
Athletes who are only interested in athletic careers can seek opportunities with lower-level professional leagues.
And for football that would be...

Until the NFL creates a developmental league, this plan is a pipe dream.

At the end of the article they state the second choice:

Quote:
Openly acknowledge the professionalism in big-time college sports, remove the tax-exempt status currently given to athletic departments, and make universities operate them as unrelated businesses — apart from their educational mission.
Honestly I see this happening before the end of scholarships. Big time universities pretty much already operate this way.
 
# 4 RandyBass @ 04/01/14 03:40 AM
Or they could just make kids and parents watch Hoop Dreams every year from about age 5. Maybe then you wouldn't have so many young people putting all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

I mean seriously, this problem has roots much deeper than the NCAA. Really what we're seeing is just the fruit being reaped, not the seed being sown. The roots go all the way down to family, culture, history, and poverty.

This nation has sown some bad seeds, and we're just seeing the fruit of it, that's all. It's very hard to undo what's been done, takes a long time, a lot of work from a lot of different people in a lot of different areas.

Ending scholarships, turning universities into semi pro teams, these won't make that big of a difference because you're trying to deal with the problem at the end not at the beginning.
 
# 5 ubernoob @ 04/01/14 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
And for football that would be...

Until the NFL creates a developmental league, this plan is a pipe dream.
Well, that's the NFL's problem - not the universities' problem.
 
# 6 RandyBass @ 04/01/14 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Well, that's the NFL's problem - not the universities' problem.
Yeah, the universities would only have to deal with the gaping hole in their revenue and alumni support created by the loss of their football programs. Point being, the article conveniently omits perhaps the largest driving factor in this whole matter: self interest. It's easy to dream up utopias, and next to impossible to implement them.
 
# 7 RandyBass @ 04/01/14 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
If we weren't such scared nation. Scared in the sense of the next man coming up and making something, this wouldn't be an issue.
You're entire statement was a bit bewildering, but the beginning was perhaps the most perplexing, and quite frankly just flat out wrong. I understand the whole land of opportunity thing may be more myth than reality, especially in these recent times, but come on man! Compared to pretty much every nation on earth, perhaps even in the history of civilization itself, this country is very much about the next man coming up and making something. Not sure where you got that idea.
 
# 8 Equinox831 @ 04/01/14 09:52 AM
Right now I'm typing this from my dorm room at a pretty big university that I'm only going to because I got a hefty athletic scholarship for track and field. I can tell you right now that scholarships aren't going anywhere. Some of the best athletes in the country couldn't dream of affording to go to a 4 year university at full price. The only good I can see coming from that is athletes working harder in the classroom to get academic scholarships because I can admit, we can slack sometimes, but we're human it happens. Unless you want to see a dramatic decline in competition and talent at the college level, scholarships need to stay in place. I know that if I lost my scholarship I'd be going back home and picking up the pieces and I wouldn't really have a direction anymore. I'd hate to see that happen on a large scale.
 
# 9 BizDevConglomerate @ 04/02/14 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
You're entire statement was a bit bewildering, but the beginning was perhaps the most perplexing, and quite frankly just flat out wrong. I understand the whole land of opportunity thing may be more myth than reality, especially in these recent times, but come on man! Compared to pretty much every nation on earth, perhaps even in the history of civilization itself, this country is very much about the next man coming up and making something. Not sure where you got that idea.
Perspective driven. Did Favre mentors Rodgers? 1 pont to me. The list goes on, we could go into humanities or economics too, but let's stay in sports.

You tell me what institution is for paying players, I'll tell you how many coaches are for it. Look at every college coach that has achieved legend status and I'll show you a list of kids he coached that could've went to HBCU'S. And I'll more than bet if we interviewed the Rasheed Wallace's, the magic Johnson's and so on we'd find payments. Just like we'd find juiced ball players before the steroid era.
Fact is we can look at Marijuana to college athletics in America, if the right ppl aren't making money no money will be legally made.

Perspectively driven again. But I respect your perspective too. Were just see from two different sides. Also you say its completely wrong. If you played college sports, you can't say I'm wrong.
 
# 10 BizDevConglomerate @ 04/02/14 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Or they could just make kids and parents watch Hoop Dreams every year from about age 5. Maybe then you wouldn't have so many young people putting all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

I mean seriously, this problem has roots much deeper than the NCAA. Really what we're seeing is just the fruit being reaped, not the seed being sown. The roots go all the way down to family, culture, history, and poverty.

This nation has sown some bad seeds, and we're just seeing the fruit of it, that's all. It's very hard to undo what's been done, takes a long time, a lot of work from a lot of different people in a lot of different areas.

Ending scholarships, turning universities into semi pro teams, these won't make that big of a difference because you're trying to deal with the problem at the end not at the beginning.
Why do we need to go to college? I'm a college graduate. But I my employment is affected at my level by color. Face it. If my kid was LeBron today. Not then. I'd move over seas or really look at the Dr league. In college kids are smashing chick's left and right but they can do that in Israel ballin, or in the d league. I think ppl are out of touch with reality. And think that this fan stuff really matters. The Ohio State U. Note Dame. These schools just like many businesses in America are built off the backs of ACTUAL humans. Don't tell me it's the endowment dept. UK OUTTA HERE BY KU student tried to tell me that BS. Cats go to KU because Wilt, Manning, Brown, Wiggins, Peirce, and even Lester Earl lol went there. Or bare going there. The Bo shembecklers and Ricky waters of the world. If they were able to negotiate a price for their participation they would be better off.

There is no argument for colleges. They are for profit institutions. Where some at one time were entrenched in racism. Only athletics opened these doors wide open. You say the USF Don's story. Let these kids choose to go or not to go to college band if they go Pay em.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.