12:27 PM - March 24, 2014 by MMChrisS
Depending on what continent you live on, the MLB season is either in full swing (see: Australia) or about to start. Spring Training is a time to evaluate which pieces are strong and where the weak spots are for every organization -- and for some it's panic mode.
Big Papi just inked a deal to stick around in Boston through 2015, keeping the veteran slugger in friendly confines for the defending champs. Meanwhile, one contender in Detroit has traded for their second shortstop in four days.
The offseason is prime time for free agency where many clubs whiff on key additions, but unexpected injuries and floundering Spring Training performances can leave clubs worse off than they were coming out of the winter months.
Sound Off: Which MLB club looks primed to start the 2014 season on a hot streak?
Sports Headlines for March 24, 2014
- At least it didn't spill into the stands -- the Lakers and Wiz decided to throw down a boxing match mid-game. [Video]
- The ending to Iowa State's victory over North Carolina was one of the strangest finishes to a basketball game you'll see.
- David Ortiz has agreed to a $16 million deal with the Red Sox.
- Lesson Learned: Kid, don't bang on the glass at hockey games. [YouTube]
- Why use your feet when you can make a butt pass? [Animated Gif]