Let's gaze into the collective OS'ers crystal ball and assume the date is now September 15, 2014. Let's also assume that both NBA Live 15 and NBA 2K15 are set to launch in just a couple of weeks. And finally, let's finally assume the usual marketing talk and promises have been made and a steady improvement is promised with each title over what we had this year.

All things being equal, and assuming you have to make a choice (we know it's too early to tell really), what would your choice be based upon how this basketball season has gone for both companies?

Do you rush out and buy either Live 15 or 2K15? Are you taking a wait and see on launch day? Are you skipping both altogether? Sound off by voting in our poll to your right on the frontpage and above you in the forums!

Member Comments
# 1 DirtyJerz32 @ 02/24/14 03:07 PM
As much as I love bball, I refuse to be a beta tester next year. I'll wait on both products to see who gets my money.

# 2 BezO @ 02/24/14 03:23 PM
Waiting til launch

Up to 2K14 last gen, I bought NBA 2K blindly for the last several years. What they've done with what's now current gen has turned me off and ended that. The online requirements have to go for me to even bother to test it out after launch.

# 3 killer miller31 @ 02/24/14 03:30 PM
I would buy both.neither are perfect but boh do things well that the other doesnt.ever since Live 2000 on PS1 and 2k on dreamcast i have bought both if they each released.same with football.i love the variety in the gameplay going back and fourth to each through the year so that neither get boring.

# 4 kdenson1283 @ 02/24/14 03:41 PM
I'm all in for 2k15, possibly Live 15. This year is a little different from years past, with no July sports release, we would be all in for updates on both titles including Madden. So there should be an overhaul on Live and 2k should, for the XB1 and PS4, have added many more features for their product. Such as, Create A Player for MyGm, More in depth My player mode. In Depth meaning training camp out of college from 1 of the many D.1 schools, that would be nice. Live 15 more freestyle play rather than animated results. Blocking is a key part of the game and I still feel that it's animated. 2k15 will be my key purchase come October 2014.

# 5 RayRay34 @ 02/24/14 03:46 PM
You need to have but both as a option. I'm a basketball game junkie!!! If there were 4 basketball games coming out I'd buy all 4. The main reason I jumped on next gen at launch was because I heard that was all Libe was being released on. If Nintendo came back with a Kobe Bryant game one the wii u I'd go out and buy one of them too.... So my answer is BOTH!

# 6 asu666 @ 02/24/14 03:51 PM
NBA 2K used to be an automatic preorder for me; however, I won't buy another game in the series unless I can play Association offline and manage my saves. Plus, I'd really like to see VC rolled back too, but offline play is the main hold up in another purchase.

If 2K fails me again, I'll see how LIVE comes out. I'm still enjoying my NBA 2K13 Association, so I can afford to pass on both. I may buy LIVE, if the polish comes up a notch next year, no matter what happens with 2K.

# 7 speedtrucker @ 02/24/14 05:00 PM
not getting either next year at launch.

this years live was terrible and 2k was the biggest Jekyll and Hyde ever. great gameplay but everything else was a PoS.

if either prove that things are different in a major way then I'll readdress my stance around black friday when I can get 1 of them for a discount.

if they are adamant about VC, it better not be an across the board type of thing. seperate myGM from MyTeam from MyCareer from online association(which better be back next year or else it is a solid "no buy") from MyCrew(which needs to come back or else the Park needs fouls, grades for poor team-play and general NBA rules).

# 8 Cowboy008 @ 02/24/14 05:08 PM
If I get one it would be 2k15

# 9 22cedric @ 02/24/14 05:27 PM
I will give NBA Live 15 a try.

# 10 eaterofworlds888 @ 02/24/14 05:57 PM
With the issues that both had this year I will wait and cpu vs cpu better be an option in GM mode this time.

# 11 Dazraz @ 02/24/14 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by asu666

You nailed it buddy. My thoughts exactly.

# 12 Sycecg @ 02/24/14 06:05 PM
I will be buying NBA2k15, Live just looks too weird for me.

# 13 VDusen04 @ 02/24/14 06:29 PM
I believe I will be waiting to see how things shake out post-release. I am very displeased to see what NBA2K did with the direction of their product this year (and partly in 2K13), but they still have an excellent base in there. In contrast, I just have zero faith in NBA Live. I'd love for them to make an excellent game so I'd have a fail safe in case 2K continues with their DRM, fantasy modes, and removal of choices & customization, but I just don't see a great Live product happening anytime soon.

My fear is 2K made so many steps backward in 2K14 that their subsequent iteration will be less about innovation and more about just getting back to where they were in 2012. It'll be outstanding if 2K works to re-introduce manual saves, create-a-player, create-a-team, and local saves while removing DRM, but it sounds like those types of things could be a lot of work, and I'd wonder how much room there'd be for truly pushing the game forward in the direction we were all envisioning in the first place.

All that said, I do not have a next generation system, so either 2K would have to blow me away enough to force me to buy next gen (as 2K2 did with my PS2 purchase, and 2K7 with my 360) or a separate game will have to draw me on board (ex: a new Red Dead Redemption). I'm assuming the XBox360 version of NBA2K15, if it even comes to exist, will be dead on arrival. Though I guess we'll have to wait and see on that front too.

# 14 malky @ 02/24/14 07:12 PM
If 2k cleans itself off from this debacle 2k14 and offers the ultimate SAVE feature like MLB the show. I'm def all in next year with them.

# 15 quandaryiu @ 02/24/14 07:48 PM
I will be taking a wait and see approach as well. I have both games this year and enjoyed both in different ways. Currently playing Live more these days, as I like the playing calling, pacing, and ultimate team more than 2k but the fact that they lied about rosters update is very frustrating. Hopefully the Live guys can come up with a better my player mode as well. As far as 2k, the VC was a huge turnoff this year and I really want the old school association mode back next year.

# 16 tril @ 02/24/14 07:55 PM
2k15 without a doubt. 2k always corrects it mistakes, and the gameplay is always solid.

# 17 ggsimmonds @ 02/24/14 07:57 PM
I will be taking a wait and see approach. What I need from 2k is a game reasonably free of glitches and more importantly, for them to abandon this online centric VC philosophy.

NBA Live needs a miracle for me to even consider a purchase.

The odds will be very strong that next year I will be sitting out the basketball season.

# 18 drspringroll @ 02/24/14 08:09 PM
No way I am buying it on Day 1 for 2K. There are just too many glitches/bugs. The past few releases have been disappointments so far. Unless they can prove it otherwise, I will purchase the next release on discount.

# 19 Nox_Caelum @ 02/24/14 08:47 PM
I haven't exactly loved 2k15 and being a ps3 user the lack of non-2k rosters has really showed how much the game lacks. I'm going to wait until they both launched and maybe get one at christmas.

# 20 Shadojoker @ 02/24/14 08:49 PM
I'm predicting EA sports blows 2K outta the water next year!! I thought 2K was going to wipe out EA until the problems came in..and they kept coming in. EA's problems were obvious but not as hidden and subtle like 2K. You guys who got the next gen version of 2K got screwed! Beta tester indeed! I love both and have bought both in the past (currently owns 2k14 xbox360) and I'm in no rush for next gen. I believe both will be better but EA will surprise you more next year!