Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post



We have just posted some MLB 14 The Show screenshots. All of these are from the PS4 version. We have been told the compression killed them and they hope to release super hi-res shots later.

Either way, what are your thoughts?

MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 14 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 aguero90 @ 02/13/14 04:50 PM
My thoughts... Wish I could see them!! Ah, price of being visually impaired!
 
# 2 ajblithe20 @ 02/13/14 04:54 PM
And the news keeps getting better! The mini fact sheet got me more excited than I was this morning and the fact the screenshots aren't truly telling of the real thing is a relief! They looked a bit funky to me
 
# 3 MrOldboy @ 02/13/14 06:05 PM
There are higher res vesions of these shots out there already.
 
# 4 BSUFAN @ 02/13/14 06:35 PM
For me Mike Napoli's beard looks weird for some reason, Now when they showed Jason Werth's beard in the 1st trailer it looked good, IMO
 
# 5 MrOldboy @ 02/13/14 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
For me Mike Napoli's beard looks weird for some reason, Now when they showed Jason Werth's beard in the 1st trailer it looked good, IMO


It might just be the lighting, but the color looks a bit weird and there are a lot of pointy single hairs sticking out, which stand out a lot on the edges. Hard to describe, a bit too bristled on the edges? Its still a big step up, but I'd guess that they will improve the facial hair even more as time goes on.
 
# 6 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/13/14 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy


It might just be the lighting, but the color looks a bit weird and there are a lot of pointy single hairs sticking out, which stand out a lot on the edges. Hard to describe, a bit too bristled on the edges? Its still a big step up, but I'd guess that they will improve the facial hair even more as time goes on.
In reality, you are going to be viewing these guys from a distance 90% of the time. Only in close-up cut scenes will you notice the scraggly hairs, so I don't really think it's an issue.

Plus, as a bearded fellow, I can definitely attest to wild beard days if you don't comb it down.
 
# 7 Factzzz @ 02/13/14 06:58 PM
These players don't look next gen, the hair and beards do but the players don't

And the jerseys look terrible still, that picture of Pagan.....

Also the walls at Fenway aren't the right color

Idk, i just hope the final version looks a lot better

Everything they have announced so far has been excellent, and it's only going to get better, but I feel like the graphics are a let down so far.
 
# 8 MrOldboy @ 02/13/14 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
These players don't look next gen, the hair and beards do but the players don't

And the jerseys look terrible still, that picture of Pagan.....

Also the walls at Fenway aren't the right color

Idk, i just hope the final version looks a lot better

Everything they have announced so far has been excellent, and it's only going to get better, but I feel like the graphics are a let down so far.
I'd wait until some actual video comes out of the PS4 version. Its a WIP and frankly I'd rather they focus on getting the performance nailed down first, then start to add in visual enhancements. These shots don't look that impressive, I'll give you that, but in motion the game may look a lot better than you think. Just seeing things like the crowd and having a hard time finding two similar models (I maybe found one guy that I think shows up twice) makes the jump to PS4 worth it.
 
# 9 Factzzz @ 02/13/14 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I'd wait until some actual video comes out of the PS4 version. Its a WIP and frankly I'd rather they focus on getting the performance nailed down first, then start to add in visual enhancements. These shots don't look that impressive, I'll give you that, but in motion the game may look a lot better than you think. Just seeing things like the crowd and having a hard time finding two similar models (I maybe found one guy that I think shows up twice) makes the jump to PS4 worth it.
As for getting the performance nailed down first, i don't think that's really a reason for the graphics to not be better, just look at all the other next gen games' graphics, i was honestly expecting graphics like nba 2k.

And yeah i'm definitely looking forward to seeing the game in motion, because i know it will do it more justice than photos.

Also the last part about making the jump to ps4, i'm not even thinking about that. Already a done deal for me, and without a doubt, i'll be getting this game release day and playing it non stop for months.
 
# 10 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
These players don't look next gen, the hair and beards do but the players don't

And the jerseys look terrible still, that picture of Pagan.....

Also the walls at Fenway aren't the right color

Idk, i just hope the final version looks a lot better

Everything they have announced so far has been excellent, and it's only going to get better, but I feel like the graphics are a let down so far.
I like this becaue I (only a few shots though-- I'll reserve final judgment until more is released) agree with you that the jerseys and players bodies still look identical to CG.. Which if they indeed do look NG, then this game will not be rivaled by any (graphics wise).
 
# 11 Factzzz @ 02/13/14 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
I like this becaue I (only a few shots though-- I'll reserve final judgment until more is released) agree with you that the jerseys and players bodies still look identical to CG.. Which if they indeed do look NG, then this game will not be rivaled by any (graphics wise).
Definitely, if the player models and jerseys looked next gen, this would be the most beautiful thing i've ever seen. But they don't unfortunately.

Not yet anyways.
 
# 12 MrOldboy @ 02/13/14 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
As for getting the performance nailed down first, i don't think that's really a reason for the graphics to not be better, just look at all the other next gen games' graphics, i was honestly expecting graphics like nba 2k.

And yeah i'm definitely looking forward to seeing the game in motion, because i know it will do it more justice than photos.

Also the last part about making the jump to ps4, i'm not even thinking about that. Already a done deal for me, and without a doubt, i'll be getting this game release day and playing it non stop for months.
Getting the performance nailed down absolutely affects the graphics of the game. If you can't hit your performance goal, you bump down the AA, lower texture and shadow resolution, alter your shaders, etc. People who play PC games will let you know what sacrifices they make in order to secure a solid 60 fps on their machine.

I'll grant you that artistic creations could improve, hand-made beards, jerseys, etc. But there I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the final game in motion will make these screenshots look terrible.
 
# 13 Factzzz @ 02/13/14 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Getting the performance nailed down absolutely affects the graphics of the game. If you can't hit your performance goal, you bump down the AA, lower texture and shadow resolution, alter your shaders, etc. People who play PC games will let you know what sacrifices they make in order to secure a solid 60 fps on their machine.
I agree with that, what i was saying was, i guess i just thought the graphics were a given to look amazing. I don't see it as an either/or scenario where you give some graphics to better some performance aspects.
 
# 14 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
I agree with that, what i was saying was, i guess i just thought the graphics were a given to look amazing. I don't see it as an either/or scenario where you give some graphics to better some performance aspects.
I was hoping jerseys would look more life like and less playdohy like.. Those jerseys in the sample pictures do not look like they'll move like they should when a player is in motion.. 2K had this years ago.. Soo figured this would be in.. And the jersey types as well (baggy, etc; for both tops and pants). Hopefully, the pictures are just older.
 
# 15 Factzzz @ 02/13/14 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
I was hoping jerseys would look more life like and less playdohy like.. Those jerseys in the sample pictures do not look like they'll move like they should when a player is in motion.. 2K had this years ago.. Soo figured this would be in.. And the jersey types as well (baggy, etc; for both tops and pants). Hopefully, the pictures are just older.
Same, i think this was what i was most looking forward to with the ps4, better looking jerseys. And different types of jerseys (baggy, normal, tight) as well as unbuttoned jerseys.



Looking at this picture, the sleeves on his jersey should not being pointing out like that, if someone has their arms in that position their jersey sleeves will be hanging down around the arms (kind of hard to explain).

I just really hope there are improvements made before the game is released.

Edit: looking at this picture again, those sleeves look soooooo bad.
 
# 16 TreyIM2 @ 02/13/14 07:39 PM
I definitely still don't like how the player faces are looking. Thought they would be much better textured by this point. About 2mos or so, give or take a couple weeks, away from this game is going gold. Still time but still. After being blown away by NBA2K14, I would think Sony's first party team would have the player models looks more nailed. I still want to get this for more than how the players look but not being a huge baseball fan, the looks have been a big draw for me.
 
# 17 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I definitely still don't like how the player faces are looking. Thought they would be much better textured by this point. About 2mos or so, give or take a couple weeks, away from this game is going gold. Still time but still. After being blown away by NBA2K14, I would think Sony's first party team would have the player models looks more nailed. I still want to get this for more than how the players look but not being a huge baseball fan, the looks have been a big draw for me.
Going by 2K... I'd say their player models look better.. But until I see more, I will not worry that much.
 
# 18 Blitzburgh @ 02/13/14 10:08 PM
My thoughts on "these" compressed picks was very underwhelming..... I was expecting a lot more. Hopefully when I see some higher rez shots, they will give me the wow factor. As of now, it just looks good but not blowing me away as I was hoping.
 
# 19 jmaj315 @ 02/13/14 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
I like this becaue I (only a few shots though-- I'll reserve final judgment until more is released) agree with you that the jerseys and players bodies still look identical to CG.. Which if they indeed do look NG, then this game will not be rivaled by any (graphics wise).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
Definitely, if the player models and jerseys looked next gen, this would be the most beautiful thing i've ever seen. But they don't unfortunately.

Not yet anyways.
did you guys read this part? I wouldn't worry so much about the player models and jerseys. I would worry about how to occupy your time until April 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

We have just posted some MLB 14 The Show screenshots. All of these are from the PS4 version. We have been told the compression killed them and they hope to release super hi-res shots later.
 
# 20 THESHAMISASHAME @ 02/14/14 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
For me Mike Napoli's beard looks weird for some reason, Now when they showed Jason Werth's beard in the 1st trailer it looked good, IMO
Exactly what I was mentioning and the best I can explain it is , it looks like a glued on beard we used to use when acting in high school with spirit gum .

Almost like a ZZ top thing but on second thought maybe its a old build ? As Napoli almost looks like a ps3 model with a ps4 beard if that makes sense but its very disturbing/distracting to me especially if it looks like its moving when standing still .

As far as the lighting goes I hope its better than the ps3 as I always thought it was overdone when introduced and also distracting as it could be way to bright in day or dark at night .

EDIT: I see many have said the player models look last Gen but the Hair and beards look Current Gen so my question is was this game just ported from the ps3 and then all the things they couldnt do on the ps3 do to tech limits they added on with the ps4 more less as a base ?

I would have liked all new player models from scratch that would have complimented the PS4 s power to the limit but then couldve the roster share from year to year be possible ?
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.