12:00 PM - February 13, 2014 by MMChrisS
'The Captain' is officially stepping down and thankfully he's doing it with grace.
According to a statement from Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner:
|"Derek called me this morning to tell me that he planned to retire following the season...In our conversation, I told him that I respected his decision because I know he put a lot of thought into it. I also let him know that I thought it was great that he was letting fans know now so they will have a chance to say goodbye to him."|
Derek Jeter's approach to finishing out his career in a farewell style - ala Mariano Rivera in 2013 - is a classy move by one of the game's all-time greats. Jeter will exit the game in the top ten among all players for career hits (3,316 going into the season) and is first among all who wore pinstripes in games played, at-bats, hits and stolen bases.
Sound Off: Do sports stars' "exit strategies" impact your view on their legacy?
Sports Headlines for February 13, 2014
- Either Syracuse is a team destined for perfection or they just used up their last ounce of luck in last night's buzzer-beater win. [YouTube]
- Loading up on free chicken nuggets at McD's -- either Olympians are underfed or a little "red eyed?" [Image]
- He dunks, he talks, and LeBron nails the game winner, fall-away, rainbow prayer. [Animated Gif]
- Japan's celebratory bow after scoring their first ever Olympic hockey goal. [Animated Gif]
- Richie Incognito is firing back publicly at Jonathan Martin via Twitter, and has revealing Martin contemplated suicide in Spring of 2013.