04:04 PM - February 3, 2014 by MMChrisS
After all the hype, Super Bowl XLVIII will likely be remembered as a huge letdown. There are no controversial calls by the officials to debate. No "what were you thinking?" play-calls in tense moments. And zero kickers to blame anything on -- unless we count kicking off to Percy Harvin to open the second half as a blunder.
A legendary offense versus a youthful and excitingly powerful defense should have left us with more to talk about. But instead, the only minor discussion worth having is over who "deserved" the Super Bowl MVP? Linebacker Malcolm Smith was in the right spot at the right time for a pick-six off a deflected pass, and later recovered a fumble -- and so he received the honors. Russell Wilson was equally as impressive (perhaps moreso) for his incredible efficiency, becoming the first QB in Super Bowl history to pass for 200 yards, two TD's, complete over 70% of his passes all for the winning team and still not collect the game's MVP.
Sound Off: Who most deserved to be named MVP of Super Bowl XLVIII?
Sports Headlines for Month 1, 2014
- Russell Wilson is the second African-American QB to win a Super Bowl -- both coming against the Broncos.
- Polo just isn't exciting enough. Let's add canoes. [Animated Gif]
- It's just pocket change to him, but Floyd Mayweather is $13 million lighter after losing his bet on the Broncos.
- He almost got the score right. One writer joking predicted the Bears to win 75-0. [Image]
- The Super Bowl confetti was made entirely from shredded concussion study papers? [The Onion]