Home
News Post



Some of us old gamers grew up on John Madden Football, from the very first release on the Apple II in 1988. For those that are curious, this is what the game looked like. Just think what football games will look like in 25 more years.

Any of our old-school OSers have any memories of this one?

Member Comments
# 1 mike24forever @ 01/11/14 12:57 PM
My goodness. My first experience with Madden was on the Genesis. Things have come along way.
 
# 2 TMuss @ 01/11/14 01:15 PM
That has to be one of the scariest opening menus ever. Even with the beeping it's still like BOOM!!!! HERE'S JOHNNY!!!
 
# 3 Turbo Lax 33 @ 01/11/14 01:52 PM
This is why i never complain about graphics. I've been gaming for 40 years and can remember playing the original Madden, plus all the Atari sports games before that, where there were 3 players on each team and they all moved in unison.

Gaming today is amazing and just taking a look back at videos like this should bring an appreciation for where things are today.
 
# 4 Eski33 @ 01/11/14 03:15 PM
@Turbo. I support your opinion 100%. I grew up with Atari, Intellivision, etc so gamers who have seen more of the evolution in graphics, I believe, appreciate what we have today and less willing to scrutinize every little detail.

I bought a Genesis from JJ Games along with Madden 93, NHL, NHL 94, Coach K, NBA Live 95. The games are still fun but provide appreciation as to where sports games are now.
 
# 5 acolbert @ 01/11/14 04:47 PM
My 1st Madden was '92. I couldn't agree more with you guys. I remember when there were no message boards and people didn't complain about EVERYTHING

Back then all you needed was a gaming system, Madden, some friends, and some snacks and it's an all nighter baby.

I get a kick out of watching my nephews play the game all night now. It brings me back.


Great Thread!
 
# 6 tril @ 01/11/14 07:47 PM
looks more sim than today's Madden....LOL!!!!!!
 
# 7 moose616 @ 01/11/14 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
My 1st Madden was '92. I couldn't agree more with you guys. I remember when there were no message boards and people didn't complain about EVERYTHING
Pepperidge Farm remembers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
I get a kick out of watching my nephews play the game all night now. It brings me back.
I recently bought a modernized Sega Genesis from Groupon, and a handful of my old cartridges still work! John Madden 92-98, Joe Montana 92-93, Primetime, MLBPA Sports Talk, NHL 94, NBA Jam.

I've already decided that when I have a son, that's what will get hooked into the TV in his room, so he can appreciate where dad's games came from. Of course, he can also join me on the PS5 in the living room
 
# 8 tyberious4now @ 01/11/14 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Lax 33
This is why i never complain about graphics. I've been gaming for 40 years and can remember playing the original Madden, plus all the Atari sports games before that, where there were 3 players on each team and they all moved in unison.

Gaming today is amazing and just taking a look back at videos like this should bring an appreciation for where things are today.
You are definitely my age lol......people have no idea how it really was using dos
We didn't complain then and I won't now!!

Thanks Steve for posting...
 
# 9 acolbert @ 01/11/14 08:36 PM
Ah man! Joe Montana Football? Wow you brought it way back!

Funny how back then there seemed to be 3 or 4 different titles. Of course Madden was ALWAYS the standard but I remember playing Madden AND Game Day (PS1), man gaming used to be so less complicated haha!

but that's life in general I guess haha
 
# 10 LingeringRegime @ 01/11/14 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
My goodness. My first experience with Madden was on the Genesis. Things have come along way.
Same for me. Madden '92 I think it was.
 
# 11 TreyIM2 @ 01/11/14 09:56 PM
Seen footage of this before but never played it, although I was around for the beginning of videogames. My first go round with Madden was the first console version of Madden for the Genesis as a kid was jolting to say the least. ChrIstmas Day at my cousin's house and we couldn't stop playing it. Boy did I envy him and my parents wouldn't let me spend the night so I had to depressingly return home to crappy Super Play Action Football on SNES which I had begged for leading up to that day and got that day.A fine example of careful what u wish for. Lol.
 
# 12 FedExPope @ 01/12/14 01:47 AM
ahah wow, it looks sooooooooo bad. It's just impossible for me to imagine that was ever considered fun.
 
# 13 acolbert @ 01/12/14 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
ahah wow, it looks sooooooooo bad. It's just impossible for me to imagine that was ever considered fun.
Haha, it really was though!

We used to play until the Sega got hot and then we would blow on the game cartridge to cool it down. By the way did that even do anything?! HAHAHA

You guys remember how the old Maddens had the All Madden Teams? Or the feild that was all dirt (cheat code on Madden 98 i think)?

Everbody used to pick the Cowboys or the Bills ONLY (early to mid 90s Maddens)

Man that video and this thread really brought me back!
 
# 14 tyberious4now @ 01/12/14 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
Haha, it really was though!

We used to play until the Sega got hot and then we would blow on the game cartridge to cool it down. By the way did that even do anything?! HAHAHA

You guys remember how the old Maddens had the All Madden Teams? Or the feild that was all dirt (cheat code on Madden 98 i think)?

Everbody used to pick the Cowboys or the Bills ONLY (early to mid 90s Maddens)

Man that video and this thread really brought me back!
Lol your not lying that cartridge use to get real hot and we had to wait for it to cool down WOW!

Also their were no such thing as a patch lol you play it as is...
 
# 15 roadman @ 01/12/14 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
ahah wow, it looks sooooooooo bad. It's just impossible for me to imagine that was ever considered fun.
We'd have all-nighters playing the game, it was fun.
 
# 16 acolbert @ 01/12/14 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
Lol your not lying that cartridge use to get real hot and we had to wait for it to cool down WOW!

Also their were no such thing as a patch lol you play it as is...
I was trying to tell my nephews that back in day there were

NO updated rosters
NO online play
NO DLC
NO message boards to find out tips ands tricks. You had to either buy a Game Informer or call the cheat code hotline haha

I was also telling them that the game came with manual that you would read ALL THE WAY HOME!

They asked me with a straight face "How is that a realsitic?"

I said well back in day we knew what a videogame was supposed to be! If we wanted to play realistic football WE WENT OUTSIDE AND PLAYED WITH THE OTHER KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
 
# 17 tyberious4now @ 01/12/14 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
I was trying to tell my nephews that back in day there were

NO updated rosters
NO online play
NO DLC
NO message boards to find out tips ands tricks. You had to either buy a Game Informer or call the cheat code hotline haha

I was also telling them that the game came with manual that you would read ALL THE WAY HOME!

They asked me with a straight face "How is that a realsitic?"

I said well back in day we knew what a videogame was supposed to be! If we wanted to play realistic football WE WENT OUTSIDE AND PLAYED WITH THE OTHER KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
Amen brother!!! We took it for what it was a video game not real life....
 
# 18 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 01/12/14 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
I was trying to tell my nephews that back in day there were

NO updated rosters
NO online play
NO DLC
NO message boards to find out tips ands tricks. You had to either buy a Game Informer or call the cheat code hotline haha

I was also telling them that the game came with manual that you would read ALL THE WAY HOME!

They asked me with a straight face "How is that a realsitic?"

I said well back in day we knew what a videogame was supposed to be! If we wanted to play realistic football WE WENT OUTSIDE AND PLAYED WITH THE OTHER KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
Did you tell them that when they are 16 or so everything changes when people get jobs and not only have no time to hang out, but also still never have money? College and work screw everything up.
 
# 19 acolbert @ 01/12/14 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
Amen brother!!! We took it for what it was a video game not real life....
I love a good sim sports title, but I feel like in the last 5-8 years people have come to expect maybe (maybe?) a little too much from a video game.

I played football all my life (Pop Warner since I was 5). All the way up until I got cut from a couple practice squads, and no videogame will ever duplicate the experience of being out there with your boys knocking each other up side the head.

That being said, as long as I can come home from work play my Franchise or with my boys, talk a lil trash, have a few beers, Im good.

Maybe I'm wrong or too old but I dont expect a videogame to replicate exactly what I see on Sundays.

I DEFINITELY dont want to start "message board argument" but I do think we might be expecting a bit much from these videogames. Even if they promise us the world with their marketing campaigns, thats business. They've been doing that since early 90's Madden.

Do you guys remember looking at the box art on the back? Then when you popped it in your system being like "This doens't look like the picture." But I dont remember complaining we just got down with it and enjoyed ourself

OK, OK, getting off my soap box now...
 
# 20 acolbert @ 01/12/14 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Did you tell them that when they are 16 or so everything changes when people get jobs and not only have no time to hang out, but also still never have money? College and work screw everything up.

Ahh Man!!! I literally LOL'd at that one!

Different generation bruh. I dont know what happened!

You also forgot the wife (no kids yets)! I LOVE my wife to death, but she's not going for me playing Madden ALL DAY EVERY DAY!!! It aint happening HAHA. I may get a Saturday every now and then and a couple hours after work but thats it.
 

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.