11:53 AM - January 10, 2014 by MMChrisS
Mobile quarterbacks are a commodity that garner mixed reception when they make the jump from the college game to the NFL. Johnny Manziel is the latest to fit that mold and will no doubt be one of the most hotly debated players heading into this year's NFL draft.
Manziel's style as an agile gun-slinger has pushed some to compare the former Heisman winner to Brett Favre. Meanwhile, celebs like LeBron James claim to be tied to his inner circle of support (or maybe it's the other way around) so get ready for the next Tebow-like circus in the NFL.
The read option has faded into a mere tool in the arsenal of NFL offenses and not a devastating weapon that can't be stopped. Manziel, however, is a different breed of mobile QB. He's a never-shy acutely aware signal-caller with the ability to escape nearly any situation and turn it into positive yards.
Do you see Johnny Manziel succeeding as a quarterback in the NFL?
Sports Headlines for January 10, 2014
- It appears the NFL is trying to hold players accountable for following concussion protocol. Could suspension or fines be in the near future?
- James Franklin has accepted Penn State's offer to be the new head coach in Happy Valley, but not before he's approved by a "panel" at the school.
- Arizona stayed perfect to justify their No. 1 ranking by dropping PAC-12 rival UCLA.
- Does Jimbo Fisher deserve credit for resurrecting Florida State in the title game with his gutsy fake punt call?
- A state champion football coach has been fired after going 12-0 during which he allegedly ran up the score on opponents.