Home
NBA 2K14 News Post


There is no doubt that always online has had extremely serious issues in two of the major releases which have required online connections for even offline gameplay: NBA 2K14 and SimCity.

With more games seemingly readying the ship for such requirements, what do you think about a game requiring users to stay connected to the mothership just to play it? Is it good for gamers, bad for gamers, or do you care one way or another?

Sound off by voting in our poll to your right on our frontpage and above you in the forums.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 97 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PPerfect_CJ @ 01/09/14 10:16 AM
I won't do it. If this is where gaming is going, then I'll be finding other hobbies. Simple as that.
 
# 2 cch99 @ 01/09/14 10:24 AM
Personally i really dislike this always online trend but the real thing that bothers me is what happens 5 years down the road when the company feels that not enough people are playing the game and they shut down the server. Now you have a game you bought and paid for and you can't even play it. In essence you never really own the game, you are renting it until the company decides they are no longer going to offer it.

I work in video editing and use Adobe products and they have done this. I get it and understand the advantages of it, but at the same time I want to have the option to rent or buy not be forced to rent.

It is honestly pushing me away from gaming. We still have not upgraded at work to the new Adobe CC and at this point it's not even in our future plans. The bad thing is at some point we may be forced to do it to stay up to date.

I just don't like this direction.
 
# 3 asu666 @ 01/09/14 10:31 AM
For me, games like the new SimCity and NBA 2K14 (i.e., PS4/X1) are where I stop buying new games and play the ones I know will always work, even if someone decides to shut down a server or a server has stability issues. NBA 2K13 is good enough for me to keep my Association going for a long-time and be very happy.

Also, I'm worried MLB 14 might make the same dumb move as the NBA 2K team did, but I have a little more faith that Sony San Diego that they can keep offline play available and not lock down basic core features (e.g., adjust lineups, etc.). If I'm wrong and Sony San Diego messes up as badly as the NBA 2K team, well, once again, I'm happy to play MLB 13 offline for a long-time to come.

If the trend continues, playing new games just won't be something that's for me any more. It's a shame too, because I believe I'd fall into the hardcore, you can almost always count on me purchasing a new copy of a good game demographic.
 
# 4 asu666 @ 01/09/14 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
I won't do it. If this is where gaming is going, then I'll be finding other hobbies. Simple as that.
Yes, I agree, me too.
 
# 5 elgreazy1 @ 01/09/14 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
Personally i really dislike this always online trend but the real thing that bothers me is what happens 5 years down the road when the company feels that not enough people are playing the game and they shut down the server. Now you have a game you bought and paid for and you can't even play it. In essence you never really own the game, you are renting it until the company decides they are no longer going to offer it.

I work in video editing and use Adobe products and they have done this. I get it and understand the advantages of it, but at the same time I want to have the option to rent or buy not be forced to rent.

It is honestly pushing me away from gaming. We still have not upgraded at work to the new Adobe CC and at this point it's not even in our future plans. The bad thing is at some point we may be forced to do it to stay up to date.

I just don't like this direction.
I work in the creative field as well, and all this licensing and "renting" stuff has really gotten out of hand. Couple the Adobe CC with offerings like Spotify (music), Netflix (video) and now, "always-on" (gaming) and we are left throwing money endlessly at products we never own. We don't own our cars (leasing), homes (rent), or even our education (student loans). We never actually own anything.

I don't know if this is more a commentary on the state of gaming or society as a whole.
 
# 6 psyberkayos @ 01/09/14 10:39 AM
What I hate is that by accepting this we're making online the norm, whereas even in the United States not everyone has the luxury of always being able to be online.

Accepting this infographic I found on google, only 78.6% of America's population, 63.2% of Europe, 40% of the Middle-East, 27.5% of Asia, and 15.6% of Africa use the internet period, let alone "always online".

In total that's a good number of people, over 2 billion, but I do NOT want to completely discount the gaming experiences of the HUGE portions of people who do not have the luxury of the internet.

It seems so exclusionary.
 
# 7 Cardot @ 01/09/14 11:05 AM
I hate this as well. While I do like the ability to get a patch or download a roster, the other 99% of the time I am offline. I have minimal benefits to be online, so it is annoying that I am slowed down while servers connect...or even worse if there is a bandwidth or internet issue that prevents me from connecting or playing at all.

I wasn't planning on upgrading to the next gen consoles until at least late 2014. But I am going to let this play out and may decide to pass all together depending upon how things shake out. I could easily play my 360 for the next several years.....I might actually get through the backlog of games I have.
 
# 8 DJ @ 01/09/14 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I hate this as well. While I do like the ability to get a patch or download a roster, the other 99% of the time I am offline. I have minimal benefits to be online, so it is annoying that I am slowed down while servers connect...or even worse if there is a bandwidth or internet issue that prevents me from connecting or playing at all.

I wasn't planning on upgrading to the next gen consoles until at least late 2014. But I am going to let this play out and may decide to pass all together depending upon how things shake out. I could easily play my 360 for the next several years.....I might actually get through the backlog of games I have.
I feel the same way. Could I connect to the Internet every time I wanted to play a game? Sure, but I don't like being forced to do something like that. What about if you travel and take your gaming system with you? You're now talking about an additional $10-15 charge for in-room WiFi at most hotels per night. What about if your Internet provider is having technical issues and you're unable to connect for a several days?

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't see the harm in consumers being able to simply pop in a disc and play the game they've purchased.

Nintendo catches a lot of flak (and rightly so) for how they approach Online gaming, but at the end of the day, I know when I go to play the latest Mario or Zelda title, I can simply put the game in my system, sit back and enjoy playing the game, instead of worrying about if I'm connected to the Internet or not.
 
# 9 jaateloauto @ 01/09/14 11:44 AM
"We don't trust you and are willing to screw you over because someone somewhere might try to cheat us out of our microtransaction moneys so screw you" - 2K Sports
 
# 10 eaterofworlds888 @ 01/09/14 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
For me, games like the new SimCity and NBA 2K14 (i.e., PS4/X1) are where I stop buying new games and play the ones I know will always work, even if someone decides to shut down a server or a server has stability issues. NBA 2K13 is good enough for me to keep my Association going for a long-time and be very happy.

Also, I'm worried MLB 14 might make the same dumb move as the NBA 2K team did, but I have a little more faith that Sony San Diego that they can keep offline play available and not lock down basic core features (e.g., adjust lineups, etc.). If I'm wrong and Sony San Diego messes up as badly as the NBA 2K team, well, once again, I'm happy to play MLB 13 offline for a long-time to come.

If the trend continues, playing new games just won't be something that's for me any more. It's a shame too, because I believe I'd fall into the hardcore, you can almost always count on me purchasing a new copy of a good game demographic.
Pretty much my thoughts. If it comes down to this I'll just drag out my PS2 and play 2k5.
 
# 11 soonermagic88 @ 01/09/14 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
I won't do it. If this is where gaming is going, then I'll be finding other hobbies. Simple as that.
This, there are a lot healthier and more productive things i can do with my time/money.
 
# 12 DirtyJerz32 @ 01/09/14 12:15 PM
This question has one answer... NBA 2K14 NG.

The gameplay is great and looks even better, but when modes don't work due to having a server related, it should never be done again!
 
# 13 Jon1323 @ 01/09/14 12:33 PM
I can deal with the always online and it won't stop me from buying new games but its a horrible move for gamers. I really hope it doesn't become the norm though Im afraid thats where we're headed.
 
# 14 Halloween @ 01/09/14 12:45 PM
I just love how operationsports is taking every chance at hating on 2k, lol.
Seriously though, 2k earned it. Some terrible decisions have been made and you get what you asked for.

Let's just hope 2k15 turns out more user friendly.
 
# 15 Miles Perry @ 01/09/14 12:56 PM
Always online is for MMOs and MMOs only.
 
# 16 trey2k198003 @ 01/09/14 01:50 PM
Firs i ha ve to say i love the game 2k and its modes not a fan of the my team but whatever. Now the always on is ok not gonna complain about it, but i can see where some people with rational opinions are coming from. to me its not all that big a deal or hard to fix. All they have to do is do like they did in 2k12 and if you want to be online and earn vc fine and there were benefits to that if not there was another currency you could only use i that mode you were in. but VC you could use in all modes and earn on one mode and use in another i like the option to do that it just wasnt executed very well. At least not with all gamer in mind. So in closing i love the game dont mind always on but its not for everybody and i hope 2k finds away to make it to where its down the middle for there customers , give us an incentive for CHOOSING to be online all the time and using VC.
 
# 17 ps3veron @ 01/09/14 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
I won't do it. If this is where gaming is going, then I'll be finding other hobbies. Simple as that.
Couldn't have said it any better!
 
# 18 danphilibin @ 01/09/14 02:34 PM
Online connectivity seems like such a simple idea and I don't get why these recent games are complicating it. Online features should be an enhancement, not a requirement. Why would you do it any other way? Boot up the game and V1 is ready to play with default rosters and all offline features available. There's no reason to "phone home" for any of that. Video games have always been made that way; why does anything have to change now? Then if you've got an internet connection, now you have access to roster updates, dynamic content, and online gameplay.

And why do all these games have server troubles from the beginning? So much good technology exists now to create scalable servers that can handle large loads of traffic. Look at Netflix, who serves up HD video to millions of customers and hardly ever has downtime. They're set up to scale as needed, regardless of how many people are streaming content.

I wonder if there's a lot of old code stuck in these games that doesn't or can't take advantage of the new technology we have now. A two-day-old roster update shouldn't take an entire minute to connect, download, and apply. I work with web technologies regularly and something just doesn't seem right about how well online-based enhancements have been integrated into these games.
 
# 19 NUH_UHHHHHHHHHHH @ 01/09/14 02:42 PM
WOW everyday now OS has a bash 2K14 article
get over it already
 
# 20 AntiBandwagoner @ 01/09/14 02:48 PM
Most definitely unhappy with the 'always online' features. SimCity and 2k14 tried this resulting in very broken and often unplayable games. I have never bought an MLB the show title after only owning an XBox 360 but after purchasing a PS4 I am praying that they release a stable game.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.