NBA 2K14 News Post

NBA 2K14 on next-gen consoles looks and plays well...when its actually working.

Numerous OS'ers have been reporting serious and continued issues with their NBA 2K14 experience. Over the last week, server uptime has been a major problem -- and given the game's increased reliance upon online features, it has resulted in many not being able to play the game at all.

Not only this, but there are still some gamers dealing with crashes, save file issues, and more with the game.

We're interested in finding out how widespread the problems are currently and how you personally feel about them.

So please take a moment to vote in our poll to your right on the frontpage and above you in the forums. Also comment with what problems you've specifically had (if any) with this year's game.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 97 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mestevo @ 01/02/14 11:15 AM
Had my head in the sand about these problems as I wasn't playing very actively until I suddenly couldn't play MyPlayer yesterday - a game that I didn't explicitly start as online (a la Madden's offline/online options) or even realized was tied to their servers outside of their VC system.

Will more seriously consider my options next year, they've got my money now and it's one of my most-played games so doubt I'm going to trade it in, etc.

If it can't reach their servers then let me play without earning VC.

I'm not the biggest basketball fan, I am only playing MyPlayer because I enjoy those modes, if I lost all of my progress because of their virtual currency/DRM schemes I'm not sure I'd ever buy another game from 2k Sports again.
# 2 eaterofworlds888 @ 01/02/14 11:26 AM
Well, at the current moment I'm having problems connecting to servers but it could be a PSN issue or my own internet issue as it worked fine yesterday. I know a lot have had some ridiculous problems. Here's hoping 2k can either change some things or get their stuff together. Personally, I've only had a few small issues.
# 3 kevin young @ 01/02/14 11:38 AM
For me 2k is really having issues in certain areas forunately for me i don't play in those areas yet i feel for my follow gamers!!!!!My issues are why does current gen have all the jerseys,all the floors such as the kings and next gen still don't even have orange Knicks or red HEAT!!!WTF????
# 4 XXstormmXX @ 01/02/14 11:47 AM
# 5 KingJames6 @ 01/02/14 11:49 AM
The only modes i have been able to play have been Quick Play and Blacktop. Last week I was playing my MyPlayer and was kicked to the home screen on my XB1. When I tried to load it back up, it said that the file was corrupted. I had an 81 over all athletic small forward who was leading the league in scoring and the MVP race. Also, I was a month out of the playoffs with a 40 game winning streak (playing for Minnesota is awesome). My friends and I have tried all the online modes and the only thing that seems to work is a private team up, but with only 2 people. I've heard the main problem is the whole verifying your VC, which I personally like because it keeps the cheesers away like in 2K11 and 12. I really hope the problems are resolved as I am a 2K junky lol. I mostly play the online team up. Hit me up on XB1 King James l6l.
# 6 VagDog @ 01/02/14 11:59 AM
First of all Faverani , Calathes Dellavedova and Datome have the faces of other European players....I dont understand that.....Come on 2k do something for the players and the rosters at your game....!!!!! Secondly there are not team uniforms for the bench players and we want all the jerseys....Christmas day jerseys??? Where are these 2k??? All these for NBA 2K14 PS4...!!!!
# 7 beast780 @ 01/02/14 12:03 PM
I'm playing on PS4. I finished a season playing every game in My GM. I swept the Celtics in the first round of the playoffs. If you do this, it is IMPOSSIBLE to sim the rest of the first round past April 25th. I've experienced this, others have experienced this, I'm left with an unplayable game because I have not interest in the other modes.
# 8 DaReapa @ 01/02/14 12:14 PM
Not only just the server issues, but as XXstormmXX has hinted, the scripted nature of the game where the AI will seemingly not allow a blowout defeat, or a defeat at all for that matter. And the sluggish rubberband movement and animation (mostly on defense), which seems to be IMO worse than NBA 2K14 last gen, is just another frustrating product of the scripted nature of the game. This along with several other issues, for me, has reduced this franchise to a rental at best until a major overhaul has taken place. Issues like this is the main reason why I hate lack of competition. I hadn't really cared much for NBA Live since Live 04, but in all honesty, I really hated it couldn't get off to a proper showing this year. At this point, I would even be interested in seeing what Sony and SCE San Diego Studios could do again with a proper bball game for the sake of competition.
# 9 WTF @ 01/02/14 12:15 PM
Game is unplayable to me, not necessarily just for the online issues/server issues as I'm an offline gamer only, but the lack of local saves. Absolutely pitiful.

The gameplay also, is so far beyond "good" in my eyes, that I will not purchase another version until I see that it's fixed. Too many legacy issues remain in my eyes to make me keep playing the game.

With the "power" of the next gen systems, I'm wanting more than just pretty graphics. I want smarter AI. I can live with last gen graphics if I have to, but I can't live with some of the legacy gameplay issues that I see.

Sad too, as I've been a 2k, Mike Wang, and Rob Jones supporter for a long while. Sorry fellas.
# 10 DirtyJerz32 @ 01/02/14 12:17 PM
Yes it has and I will not be a beta tester next year.

They really need to change the way things are saved. No need to save to the 2k servers as they've been the weakest part of 2k's features for years.
# 11 threattonature @ 01/02/14 12:25 PM
I also think there should be an option for I have had so many issues that I have now sold the game for next gen. I never bought for current gen due to all I played on that was online associations which still can't be played for more than one season. And that's if you're lucky enough not to get hit with the playoff bug.
# 12 Blaine_Man @ 01/02/14 12:28 PM
I can play online. All of my modes now work.

The only issue i am having and its a really BIG problem.

I cant play with my friends easily.

Private Match Team Up will still kick members of my party saying they need connection to 2k sports servers.

We all have same rosters and are connected to the server.

The other issue is when we press "quick match team up" at the same time we can get into the same "Lobby" example: 2 players found.... etc

The game will OFTEN freeze at the SYNCHRONIZING screen.

SMH. Please fix i want to play some gamebattles.
# 13 TheBadazz @ 01/02/14 12:34 PM
The cloud save were the worse thing in NG. It's the base of most problems. A choice like CG would have been better. 2k Always have server problems around the holidays. It's like everybody is on vacation and nobody monitors the servers. Then all hell breaks loose and it takes a month to fix them. While pissing everyone off in the process.
# 14 asu666 @ 01/02/14 12:39 PM
Thanks for putting up the poll. I'm a long-time 2K Sports fan and NBA 2K14 was the game I wanted most on launch day for my PS4. Now, I've returned my PS4 version defective and gone back to playing my offline (yes, some of us like playing offline 2K) NBA 2K13 Association on Xbox 360.

As someone who typically automatically preorders each new edition, I can honestly say that I won't preorder next year unless the server dependence gets rolled back out of single-player dominate game modes (i.e., MyGM), basic features aren't locked (i.e., Rotation), and I can manage my own saves from my console. 2K needs to come out early and let us know the game is fixed or I'm done with new versions of the series.
# 15 yungflo @ 01/02/14 12:50 PM
My biggest gripe is the VC/Pay-gate. I don't like it, along with some of the issues that have plagued the game for years. the servers. Take 2 just made a billion off gta, nba 2k is their number 1 nba game and they have the rights to the only wrestling game on the market. Yet, they don't have stable servers? what is this? 1999? Going to the park and only seeing 1 court used with 80 players active.
# 16 bwatts33 @ 01/02/14 12:52 PM
Let me start off saying I'm a realist. I know that 2k is new to next generation consoles. I know Christmas could be a struggle to anybody sometimes. But if you say you're making game play improvements don't fall back on the most important things that come before that. And that would be ball movement and the fluidity of the players on the court. Its not the same after patch 3 came out and it sorta feels like NBA 2K 13.5 but on next gen with better graphics. I had to erase the patch and along with erasing the patch I had to erase my online experience. I miss playing online for what its worth. I pray that patch 4 is on the way. sooner than later. When I see a player running out of bounds and I'm not controlling him. I know for a fact somethings off. Alot. But other than that NG 14 is a 9 or better.
# 17 2KLeague @ 01/02/14 01:05 PM
I'm getting error CE-34878-0 on MyGM every time I try to play a game. Can't play at all, I created this file after the third patch to avoid any crazy bugs. Guess it didn't work .
# 18 JohnDoe8865 @ 01/02/14 01:10 PM
Major issues this year and I won't be a Day One buyer next year. I'll wait for OS impressions and to see if local HDD saves are in, VC is toned down, and the always online requirement is eliminated. I won't support ANY game that requires an always online connection, ever. I know you can start a file offline first, but 2K did a horrible job communicating that. Basically, it's been a year of losing gamer goodwill for 2K Sports.
# 19 dre2 @ 01/02/14 01:13 PM
I am also not picking this game up day one or preordering it and will wait on reviews of their decisions with VC and always online sp modes...sad their isn't a viable option other than this game.
# 20 The1nOnlyKING @ 01/02/14 01:25 PM
This game is really affecting me because I should be able to put the game in and play anything I want, thats what I purchased it for. During my christmas holiday I couldn't play my 2k14 for 3-days just because of server issues and if you have no online, it just makes no sense of even playing 2k because everything is tied to vc points. My overall 2k experience for the xbox one was absolutely horrible. The best thing about the game is the mycareer and the Park and those only work once in a blue moon, and I'm sure others are having the same problems.