Home
NBA Live 14 News Post


It's the day after a huge amount of hands-on impressions of EA's first basketball game in three years have hit the web. Here's some of the highlights:

From Destructoid:

Quote:
"I didn't have enough hands-on time to sufficiently weigh NBA Live 14, particularly against its fabulous counterpart, NBA 2k 14, but Live feels a heck of a lot better than it ever did. The next console generation has greatly opened up ball physics, firm footwork. The ability to chain moves while dribbling (star players have signature moves) without ever being stuck in an animation isn't a stunning leap, but it feels a lot better than past iterations in the franchise."

TechRadar had much to say on the game's ability to stay updated constantly:

Quote:
""So if there's a guy who's really shooting the ball really well in the real world, you can see him evolve throughout the course of your game," O'Brien explained."

The folks at DigitalTrends seemed to indicate the game was far from great but somewhat solid:

Quote:
"It’s easy to predict disaster for NBA Live 14 if you’re looking at what’s happened in the past as an indicator. The truth is, the game feels like a solid EA Sports production. It definitely needs to grow and evolve, and those looking for deep-dive features like designing your own sneakers and online seasons must turn elsewhere. But there’s a strong foundation here, built on gameplay that is simple and intuitive, even if you’re a basketball neophyte."

IGN seems intrigued by pieces of the game, by never goes on to say the game will actually be good or not:

Quote:
"In a way, it’s as if EA tanked the last couple years for the draft picks, and now they have to spend the next few years assembling it into a contender. At the very least, it’ll be good to have a little competition again."

It seems the general feeling is that most journalists went into the preview event with incredibly low expectations which seemed to be met. No one was willing to say the game was great or even good. The words you saw thrown around were more like solid and workable. Take that for what you will.

What do you think of the NBA Live 14 impressions hitting the net the past day or so?

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 fluent2332 @ 11/07/13 10:06 AM
I personally think people become brainwashed by other people into thinking Live is going to suck, it's not going to be good, etc. And that in turn influences what they see when they spend time with the game. Just my theory but I've seen it happen time and time again. It's like the hivemind concept.
 
# 2 P4N748E42 @ 11/07/13 10:09 AM
yikes...u really pooped all over this os....was it really necessary to point out (multiple times) how nobody had anything super positive to say about it? seems like nobody had anything super negative to say about it either....just sayin
 
# 3 jimbo22 @ 11/07/13 10:28 AM
Live's big problem is that its going up against 2K, which looks phenomenal. Its also going to retail at the full $60 and the final point is that its coming out on next gen so people are going to expect something special.

So far, looks wise, its comparable with current gen. The first few 2K trailers made it look like next gen. Live needs a solid footing to kick on next year. Hopefully it gets that.

One thing that still amazes me is that we've yet to see video of a real game, none of this produced trailer stuff, true game footage is needed for people to get a true reflection of the game. You have to wonder that with only 2 weeks to go that EA havent shown anything yet. Its no wonder people have reservations about it.
 
# 4 Conda @ 11/07/13 10:30 AM
@P4N748E42 Huh? Everything they said was positive.
 
# 5 bowld @ 11/07/13 10:30 AM
As I said in another post, this years game is likely a WIP. The real competition will start with 2k15 and live 15
 
# 6 grodbetatted @ 11/07/13 10:42 AM
I mean as long as its Solid I'm good, but we will definitely see upon release.. I already have mine preordered
 
# 7 dfish1214 @ 11/07/13 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4N748E42
yikes...u really pooped all over this os....was it really necessary to point out (multiple times) how nobody had anything super positive to say about it? seems like nobody had anything super negative to say about it either....just sayin
You clearly didn't read any of the reviews . Everyone had only positive things to say.
 
# 8 King_B_Mack @ 11/07/13 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowld
As I said in another post, this years game is likely a WIP. The real competition will start with 2k15 and live 15
Which will probably already be too late. 2K already looks amazing on the first game out. If the gameplay is as good as advertised then they're just tweaking modes and fine tuning for the next few years. Nobody ever wants to admit it but visuals DO matter. Even if EA finally gets their gameplay down, they still will be way behind visually which is what matters to the casual crowd that have the dollars they want. They really need to hit the ground running this year.
 
# 9 josef @ 11/07/13 10:50 AM
Yeah, I feel like they should've just been bold and released this year's for $39.95 or something, just to get more people on board. I think it'll be a good product.. it just won't compare in the visuals to 2k.
 
# 10 MoultonHawk @ 11/07/13 10:57 AM
I wonder hoiw much time each of them had to play it. I bet it was 5-10 minutes.
 
# 11 yungflo @ 11/07/13 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef
Yeah, I feel like they should've just been bold and released this year's for $39.95 or something, just to get more people on board. I think it'll be a good product.. it just won't compare in the visuals to 2k.
Nba won't allow them to release disc based games under 59.99 MSRP.

That's why they wanted to go the XBL/PSN route last year. Cause they can offer it cheaper. But for disc based games, every game is uniformed price. another example is nba jam. Came out on XBL/PSN at 14, they released it on disc, came out full priced
 
# 12 grodbetatted @ 11/07/13 11:01 AM
http://www.maxim.com/gaming/we-got-first-look-nba-live-14

"The first thing we noticed was the beautiful next-gen gameplay. The devs (“devs” refers to developers when you’re in the biz [“in the biz” means “in the business” when you’re in the biz]) felt like they were working with almost “unlimited memory” and assigned six signature moves to the top 50 players, each with their own unique animations."
 
# 13 lynkraid @ 11/07/13 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo22
Live's big problem is that its going up against 2K, which looks phenomenal. Its also going to retail at the full $60 and the final point is that its coming out on next gen so people are going to expect something special.

So far, looks wise, its comparable with current gen. The first few 2K trailers made it look like next gen. Live needs a solid footing to kick on next year. Hopefully it gets that.

One thing that still amazes me is that we've yet to see video of a real game, none of this produced trailer stuff, true game footage is needed for people to get a true reflection of the game. You have to wonder that with only 2 weeks to go that EA havent shown anything yet. Its no wonder people have reservations about it.
Its graphics don't bother me so much, gameplay should always come first. Ever wonder why so many like playing old games? Its cause of the gameplay, not the graphics. Graphics never last over time, but gameplay does. Even great as NBA2k14 next gen is going to look, by NBA2k17 the graphics will look out dated, and if NBA Live is still going head to head by then, it will mostly likely look just as good.

Also people need to remember, the more you hate on NBA Live the more likely we wont see a 2nd NBA game on the market, the best thing for NBA2k is competition, cause it makes every game better.

I'm no fanboy, and I been with NBA2k since NBA2k on the DC, I was never a NBA Live guy at least since the great NBA Live 99 game on PS1, but I so want to see NBA Live be a success. I don't understand how 2k fanboys want Live to fail so badly, go away and never come back, when at the same time they wish and dream NFL 2k would come back.

Back to topic, if NBA Live was below $60 people would look at it as being a cheap game, yet the same time people will complain that its $60, but also if the game were only $20 many would buy it, but also many would wonder why they should buy a $20 or even $40 game that might not be a full blown next gen game. Remember Live has a full demo for the launch day, so it wont take much to make up your mind if its good or not.
 
# 14 bigball12 @ 11/07/13 11:12 AM
This may seem over exaggerated to some, but I honestly cannot begin to muster the GREAT disappointment in the lack of team play online. As an isolated team up player on 2K, I was expecting to have some great times on Live's versions of the original "team play". With those thoughts now crushed, I cannot see myself purchasing the title.
 
# 15 JODYE @ 11/07/13 11:16 AM
Really, none of these comments tell me anything other than the game is functional.
 
# 16 El_Poopador @ 11/07/13 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigball12
This may seem over exaggerated to some, but I honestly cannot begin to muster the GREAT disappointment in the lack of team play online. As an isolated team up player on 2K, I was expecting to have some great times on Live's versions of the original "team play". With those thoughts now crushed, I cannot see myself purchasing the title.
i think that goes hand in hand with some peoples overly high expectations. they said from the beginning that theyre rebuilding. it doesnt seem like a barebones game by any means but it seems to me like they put more focus on basketball as a game than different modes. it sounds like they want to nail the realism first, and then add in the little things like extended modes later on.
 
# 17 bumpyface @ 11/07/13 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkraid
Its graphics don't bother me so much, gameplay should always come first. Ever wonder why so many like playing old games? Its cause of the gameplay, not the graphics. Graphics never last over time, but gameplay does. Even great as NBA2k14 next gen is going to look, by NBA2k17 the graphics will look out dated, and if NBA Live is still going head to head by then, it will mostly likely look just as good.

Also people need to remember, the more you hate on NBA Live the more likely we wont see a 2nd NBA game on the market, the best thing for NBA2k is competition, cause it makes every game better.

I'm no fanboy, and I been with NBA2k since NBA2k on the DC, I was never a NBA Live guy at least since the great NBA Live 99 game on PS1, but I so want to see NBA Live be a success. I don't understand how 2k fanboys want Live to fail so badly, go away and never come back, when at the same time they wish and dream NFL 2k would come back.

Back to topic, if NBA Live was below $60 people would look at it as being a cheap game, yet the same time people will complain that its $60, but also if the game were only $20 many would buy it, but also many would wonder why they should buy a $20 or even $40 game that might not be a full blown next gen game. Remember Live has a full demo for the launch day, so it wont take much to make up your mind if its good or not.
Good points
 
# 18 BQ32 @ 11/07/13 12:04 PM
WOW, this blog gives a much more negative overtone then any of the individual previews. In actuality most every preview talked very little about actual gameplay and spent most of the time talking about different features and modes which to me sound pretty amazing though I am also hugely disappointed in no team up play. This site must be run by 2k fanboys, just compare the overtone of this blog to the individual previews and you will notice the bias.

A lot of people might not take the time to read all of the previews so coming across as being negative when none of the previews had anything negative to say does a great disservice to potential fans/customers. Sometimes I swear some of these sites pocket money from 2k lol.
 
# 19 poloelite @ 11/07/13 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkraid
Its graphics don't bother me so much, gameplay should always come first. Ever wonder why so many like playing old games? Its cause of the gameplay, not the graphics. Graphics never last over time, but gameplay does. Even great as NBA2k14 next gen is going to look, by NBA2k17 the graphics will look out dated, and if NBA Live is still going head to head by then, it will mostly likely look just as good.

Also people need to remember, the more you hate on NBA Live the more likely we wont see a 2nd NBA game on the market, the best thing for NBA2k is competition, cause it makes every game better.

I'm no fanboy, and I been with NBA2k since NBA2k on the DC, I was never a NBA Live guy at least since the great NBA Live 99 game on PS1, but I so want to see NBA Live be a success. I don't understand how 2k fanboys want Live to fail so badly, go away and never come back, when at the same time they wish and dream NFL 2k would come back.

Back to topic, if NBA Live was below $60 people would look at it as being a cheap game, yet the same time people will complain that its $60, but also if the game were only $20 many would buy it, but also many would wonder why they should buy a $20 or even $40 game that might not be a full blown next gen game. Remember Live has a full demo for the launch day, so it wont take much to make up your mind if its good or not.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but wanted to answer a few things.

"I don't understand how 2k fanboys want Live to fail so badly, go away and never come back, when at the same time they wish and dream NFL 2k would come back."

I think the answer to this is Live actually left because it was bad. People want NFL 2K back because it was great and only went away because of an EA monopoly.

"if NBA Live was below $60 people would look at it as being a cheap game, yet the same time people will complain that its $60, but also if the game were only $20 many would buy it, but also many would wonder why they should buy a $20 or even $40 game that might not be a full blown next gen game."

I disagree here. NFL2k5 was $20 and it caused people to pick up both games to try it out. I'm sure you are aware that most don't consider NFL2k5 a cheap game, but an all time classic.

All love fam
 
# 20 bumpyface @ 11/07/13 12:06 PM
I don't want the game to fail, I would much rather it succeed. I think a lot of gamers are more into presentation, than gameplay. 2k is a wonderful basketball franchise, but they take sim way too far IMO. I don't want to play a simulated game, I want to play basketball sim. The comeback, rubber-band, streak system, or whatever they hell they call it in 2k is annoying to me. I play sports games for competition. If I'm better and have a superior basketball IQ than my opponent then I should prevail. If I'm playing in a match and I want to set a handicap for myself or opponent, that should be up to the players, not pre-coded in the game. I'm looking for the best experience, with the best gameplay first, and then visuals. Hell, if I want to watch basketball and have no influence whatsoever in the outcome of the game I can turn on TNT, or ESPN.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.