Home
NBA Live 14 News Post



In an exclusive interview over at Review Fix, Sean O'Brien sat down to discuss NBA Live 14, the expectations surrounding the product, and competition with 2K.

"Do you have a really tall ladder?" O'Brien said in response to a question about the expectations surrounding the product, "We place high expectations on ourselves and hold each other accountable to create a game that aligns with our vision for the franchise."

While no new feature type of information was divulged, there was also an interesting tidbit from O'Brien on the competition with 2K Sports, "Our focus right now is to make a great basketball video game. We aren't going to sacrifice our vision just to check feature boxes on the back of a package."

O'Brien went on to say that he wants Live 14 to be remembered as a great basketball video game -- a huge bar to raise for a series which has had trouble making it to market much less impressing fans. However, we expect to see a lot more from NBA Live 14 very soon and can't wait to see how the product ends up.

NBA Live 14 will be released on launch day on both next-gen consoles. That's November 15 for PlayStation 4 users and November 22 for XBox One users.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MoultonHawk @ 09/05/13 10:08 AM
Since I already sold my PS3, and I've already paid for my PS4, all I can play is next gen so I am definitly considering buying NBA LIVE 14 over NBA 2K14 because there will be NO CREW on NBA 2K14 and My Team doesn't get the features that the last gen consoles get either. Maybe I'll skip 2K for a year until they catch up to next gen.
 
# 2 NoTiCe_O @ 09/05/13 10:10 AM
The fact that they're going to let NBA Live 14 speak for itself is enough for me. Can't go wrong with the humble approach.
 
# 3 MoultonHawk @ 09/05/13 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoultonHawk
Since I already sold my PS3, and I've already paid for my PS4, all I can play is next gen so I am definitly considering buying NBA LIVE 14 over NBA 2K14 because there will be NO CREW on NBA 2K14 and My Team doesn't get the features that the last gen consoles get either. Maybe I'll skip 2K for a year until they catch up to next gen.
NBA 2K14 is incomplete for next gen, No Crew Mode & My Team is limited (no tournaments for next gen)
 
# 4 scottyp180 @ 09/05/13 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoultonHawk
Since I already sold my PS3, and I've already paid for my PS4, all I can play is next gen so I am definitly considering buying NBA LIVE 14 over NBA 2K14 because there will be NO CREW on NBA 2K14 and My Team doesn't get the features that the last gen consoles get either. Maybe I'll skip 2K for a year until they catch up to next gen.
So you are a skipping 2k14 because it doesnt have crew and my team is limited, yet you are getting a game (live 14) that doesnt have crew or my team? Doesnt that make these games a stalemate at this point? We know little about each, I would wait for more news and gameplay before deciding which game you are buying
 
# 5 xman2k @ 09/05/13 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
So you are a skipping 2k14 because it doesnt have crew and my team is limited, yet you are getting a game (live 14) that doesnt have crew or my team? Doesnt that make these games a stalemate at this point? We know little about each, I would wait for more news and gameplay before deciding which game you are buying
Dude you are spot on. Why all the 2K hate when I clearly saw better in the 2 secs of 2k next gen than the 5 secs of EA next gen. the EA product just looks cartoony to me whilst 2k will hopefully look more photorealistic..
 
# 6 Hadlowe @ 09/05/13 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoultonHawk
NBA 2K14 is incomplete for next gen, No Crew Mode & My Team is limited (no tournaments for next gen)
2k has clarified that the "Xbox 360 and PS3 only" language on the releases about crew and My Team was to differentiate those versions from the PC version being released on Oct. 1. They said that they haven't release any info on next gen.

That's not to say that crew or my team is guaranteed on next gen, only that we don't know whether it is or not.

Basically, if Crew is the mode that makes you decide on Live or 2k, you can't rule out Crew being on 2k for next gen.
 
# 7 frankwyte81 @ 09/05/13 11:23 AM
I'm going with 2K, they've been reliable and I'll pass on this year's version Live 14, I don't trust in Live as of yet. Why is the next gen sport title's information coming in so slowly. I understand marketing the current gen game, but do they really think by them not telling us anything about the next gen it'll make me want to buy the current gen. i already sold my systems on Ebay to ensure I got top dollar before everyone floods the market with them. Now i'm just waiting for some info on sport titles other than Fifa 14. 2K/EA Sports, give some new next gen gameplay footage...
 
# 8 ultralow36 @ 09/05/13 11:49 AM
i will pick up both nba live for xbox 1 and nba2k14 for ps4.....great now thats settled.....
 
# 9 khaliib @ 09/05/13 11:55 AM
The key word used in his replies is the term "New", which according to EA's history means something that wasn't in their last release. Noting that their competitor has a good product being put out, I was waiting to hear the word "Better", but it was never used.

There's nothing "New" can be done to the game of basketball.
It's about being "Better" than any other developers representation of the sport.

If you don't have enough confidence in your own workmanship to stand on such a statement , then why would I as a gamer want to spend money on the 2nd best.

All this time away, if NBA Live 14 doesn't put something Better than 2k on the shelves, I'll just chalk up the Xbox One/Ps4 console era as a continuation of the same process used this Generation of consoles.

We want Better EA, not New!!!
 
# 10 poloelite @ 09/05/13 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoultonHawk
NBA 2K14 is incomplete for next gen, No Crew Mode & My Team is limited (no tournaments for next gen)
I've talked with Ronnie and Chris/LD2K personally and Crew/My Team haven't been confirmed or denied to be in next gen. They aren't rolling out the next gen press until around the time current gen releases, so they don't cut the legs off of that product.

I'm a Cleveland native and Cavaliers fan, so Kyrie on the cover intrigues me, but as of right now Live has given me ZERO reasons to be optimistic with its return. I need to see extensive gameplay footage to be sure that the issues that rendered the game broken since Live 10 have been fixed. Meanwhile, we all know that 2k can deliver a great and working basketball simulation experience. Let's wait until Halloween before we come to conclusions. We should know everything we need to know by then.
 
# 11 coolcras7 @ 09/05/13 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoultonHawk
Since I already sold my PS3, and I've already paid for my PS4, all I can play is next gen so I am definitly considering buying NBA LIVE 14 over NBA 2K14 because there will be NO CREW on NBA 2K14 and My Team doesn't get the features that the last gen consoles get either. Maybe I'll skip 2K for a year until they catch up to next gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoultonHawk
NBA 2K14 is incomplete for next gen, No Crew Mode & My Team is limited (no tournaments for next gen)
Please stop spreading incorrect information, 2k has not made any comments about Next Gen as to what is included and what is not. I will wait to see the offical trailers and gameplay before i make my choice, but I have to admit that the 2k next gen trailer looks more realistic than what Live has presented so far.
 
# 12 Hadlowe @ 09/05/13 12:18 PM
Having read the article, it seems that part of the focus is maintaining the product throughout the year. That's key for me.

One of the most frustrating parts of 2k sports over the last 3 years is the lack of frequent patches to fix some of the glaring issues. 2k makes a great basketball game, but has terrible support after launch. It often takes months to issue patches to fix some gamebreaking imbalances. 2k13 for pc is still waiting for a patch.

If Live really wants to cut into 2k's market, frequent minor patches to resolve gameplay imbalances would be a good step in the right direction. If they complement that with a few content patches to keep the game fresh, that would seal the deal. Free content patches would be amazing, but . . . you know, EA and all that.
 
# 13 quehouston @ 09/05/13 12:21 PM
Cant wait. I'll definitely be checking out Live 14 first.
 
# 14 Hadlowe @ 09/05/13 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwyte81
I'm going with 2K, they've been reliable and I'll pass on this year's version Live 14, I don't trust in Live as of yet. Why is the next gen sport title's information coming in so slowly. I understand marketing the current gen game, but do they really think by them not telling us anything about the next gen it'll make me want to buy the current gen. i already sold my systems on Ebay to ensure I got top dollar before everyone floods the market with them. Now i'm just waiting for some info on sport titles other than Fifa 14. 2K/EA Sports, give some new next gen gameplay footage...
I am almost in the same position as you. 2k has put out excellent games over the last few years, albeit with some glaring deficiencies.

The two things keeping me intrigued about Live are 1) Fifa 2013 and 2) NHL 2013. Both of those games were excellent games in general and beautiful to play and look at.

If I remember right, EA poached some members of those teams to help right the ship for Live, and have made a big deal about how teams across the franchises are sharing resources for development through the new game engine. I am probably getting 2k for next gen, but there is still a chance that I could pick up Live as well if there is a playable demo that plays as well as their Fifa or NHL titles.
 
# 15 coolcras7 @ 09/05/13 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadlowe
Having read the article, it seems that part of the focus is maintaining the product throughout the year. That's key for me.

One of the most frustrating parts of 2k sports over the last 3 years is the lack of frequent patches to fix some of the glaring issues. 2k makes a great basketball game, but has terrible support after launch. It often takes months to issue patches to fix some gamebreaking imbalances. 2k13 for pc is still waiting for a patch.

If Live really wants to cut into 2k's market, frequent minor patches to resolve gameplay imbalances would be a good step in the right direction. If they complement that with a few content patches to keep the game fresh, that would seal the deal. Free content patches would be amazing, but . . . you know, EA and all that.
I believe last gen developers had to pay after 2 patches, not sure how it will work with next gen. I dont believe any developer will have the time and resources to release mutiple small patches, plus the problem other than cost and resourses is they fact that you can patch one thing and totally mess up another so there has to be alot of Q&A before a patch can be released.
 
# 16 juicey79 @ 09/05/13 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xman2k
Dude you are spot on. Why all the 2K hate when I clearly saw better in the 2 secs of 2k next gen than the 5 secs of EA next gen. the EA product just looks cartoony to me whilst 2k will hopefully look more photorealistic..
Please please don't let Live fool the people. They coming out on a new system which means no demo.
Yes the same can be said about 2K, but they have history of producing a good product. NBA live has had 3 years to make a game for current gen and couldn't deliver that means poor direction, poor excecution, and poor development, I want to give Live a try but I can't due to the fact that I have nothing to go off that will convince me this game will be good. There innovation is BounceTek are you kidding me....I would rather them have something A.I player interaction that impacts 5 on 5 play. Players all think independently yet cohesively. They move around with purpose on offense and defense. EA sport it's in the game is the slogan but yeah is it true to the game? 2K there is your slogan "2K Sports, its true to da game!"
 
# 17 LRBTODAY @ 09/05/13 12:57 PM
Never forget. http://youtu.be/GxVENsPOSg8
 
# 18 Tha_Kid @ 09/05/13 02:04 PM
Been wavering on my XBO preorder. Pretty much waiting to see more of Live as it will be the system seller for me. Everything else I can suck up and play on my 360.
 
# 19 juicey79 @ 09/05/13 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice123
Can't wait for Live 14. It is so far ahead of 2k in next generation consoles. 2k just now figured out how to implement blocks in their game! Lmao! Blocking shots is one of the most fundamental things of basketball and 2k finally understands.
I didn't block them frequently but I've blocked dunks in 2k13. All other shots are blockable
 
# 20 CaptainCharisma @ 09/05/13 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicey79
Please please don't let Live fool the people. They coming out on a new system which means no demo.
Yes the same can be said about 2K, but they have history of producing a good product. NBA live has had 3 years to make a game for current gen and couldn't deliver that means poor direction, poor excecution, and poor development, I want to give Live a try but I can't due to the fact that I have nothing to go off that will convince me this game will be good. There innovation is BounceTek are you kidding me....I would rather them have something A.I player interaction that impacts 5 on 5 play. Players all think independently yet cohesively. They move around with purpose on offense and defense. EA sport it's in the game is the slogan but yeah is it true to the game? 2K there is your slogan "2K Sports, its true to da game!"
so your telling me a new dribbling system isn't innovative? a dribbling system that might replicate how players actually move and dribble in real life?, hence "true player motion." Dribbling plays a huge part in basketball, especially with stars that can dribble, such as kyrie. This is a great way to differentiate players (in terms of dribbling and movement), something 2k doesn't offer, dribbling looks and feels the same with every player.
 

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.