Home
FIFA 14 News Post


EA Sports has been working on the Ignite Engine for FIFA 14 and next-gen consoles for 2 years. Eurogamer recently spoke with David Rutter, Executive Producer of the game, as they discuss some of the key differences between the current-gen and next-gen version.

Some of the key differences are listed below, but make sure you read the entire article here.
  • 1080p visuals
  • More realistic, fully rendered crowds (Has no effect on gameplay)
  • More believable behavior from its players
  • Roughly ten times the animation on Xbox One and PS4 than on current gen consoles
  • Four times the processing of decisions for physics, decision making and player movement
  • New feature called Pro Instincts allows AI players to predict the future

Game: FIFA Soccer 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ZoneBlitz @ 08/28/13 08:20 PM
I read the article. It sounds good. However, I wonder what explains the pitiful GamesCon showing a few weeks ago. I hope that is a really early build we saw.

At any rate, can't wait for Xbox One this fall.
 
# 2 alexgamez122 @ 08/28/13 09:01 PM
Is this the same for madden ?
 
# 3 frankwyte81 @ 08/29/13 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgamez122
Is this the same for madden ?
I don't know about it being the same for Madden, but I hope they hurry and give us some Madden next gen news very soon.
 
# 4 geisterhome @ 08/29/13 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwyte81
I don't know about it being the same for Madden, but I hope they hurry and give us some Madden next gen news very soon.
"There were two things we did straight away," said Rutter. "One was bump it up to 1080p and see if it made a difference, because 1080p's expensive. It's a lot of graphics. We were sceptical going into it, but came out being glad we did it, because it makes a significant difference. That was the most performance expensive thing we did initially."

for real they were considering to keep the 720p??? that is completely ridiculous. I really hope 1080 will some 2xAA will become the new standard no matter what. I really dont want to get a graphic monster game later in the console cycle that has amazing graphics but to realize that its running in 720p only. does really nobody care about this or why are developers so quick to go to the lower resolution..
 
# 5 cashless @ 08/29/13 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
"There were two things we did straight away," said Rutter. "One was bump it up to 1080p and see if it made a difference, because 1080p's expensive. It's a lot of graphics. We were sceptical going into it, but came out being glad we did it, because it makes a significant difference. That was the most performance expensive thing we did initially."

for real they were considering to keep the 720p??? that is completely ridiculous. I really hope 1080 will some 2xAA will become the new standard no matter what. I really dont want to get a graphic monster game later in the console cycle that has amazing graphics but to realize that its running in 720p only. does really nobody care about this or why are developers so quick to go to the lower resolution..
Yeah I thought 1080p was a complete no-brainer.
 
# 6 NightmareBooster @ 08/29/13 09:45 AM
Am I the only one who's still pissed that FIFA next-gen won't be on PC?
 
# 7 Yeats @ 08/29/13 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
Am I the only one who's still pissed that FIFA next-gen won't be on PC?
I was upset when it was first announced. But after watching the NG gameplay, it's clear the game is basically a CG port. With FIFA PC mods we can have all that and more anyway.
 
# 8 NightmareBooster @ 08/29/13 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I was upset when it was first announced. But after watching the NG gameplay, it's clear the game is basically a CG port. With FIFA PC mods we can have all that and more anyway.
I KNOW, THAT'S PART OF WHAT STILL PISSES ME OFF!!!

If what EA is saying is true about Ignite and how much more they can do with the game using it, concerning animations and AI behavior, imagine what modders could do with it!
 
# 9 Yeats @ 08/29/13 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
If what EA is saying is true about Ignite and how much more they can do with the game using it, concerning animations and AI behavior, imagine what modders could do with it!
I don't buy or trust the hype. The above article says "More believable behavior from its players." What does that mean in EA's world? If they meant an emphasis on simulation realism, FIFA CG would have that already. EA designs their games and game features for a very particular target group, so I would guess "believable behavior" has more to do with player-specific animations and celebrations, etc.

I did notice more animations in the NG videos, so that's an improvement. But the overall movement of the players and game, and the choppy transition animations in particular, look almost identical to CG. I honestly feel happy and content now, knowing there's no need whatsoever to even consider rushing out to buy a next-gen system just to play FIFA.
 
# 10 NightmareBooster @ 08/29/13 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Totally agree with this.

Reports are emerging that EA has scooped up certain La Liga stadiums to exclusive deals. I would, for once, like EA to stop relying so much on exclusivity and actually produce good gameplay. and I say this with respect to all their franchises. It seems like their aim is always to stamp out competition as opposed to making a good game - even though they say they are doing the opposite.
As much as it blows for us as consumers, from a business perspective you can't really blame EA for what they're doing. Why spend money on a year-by-year basis to produce a product good enough to compete with your opposition (that's also not guaranteed to give you the greater market share) when you can invest heavily on the front-end in the form of the licenses, and squeeze your competition out entirely? Look at what they have now with the Madden franchise: a product that you release yearly, with a massive consumer base that will buy yearly, and no competition so you can spend less, not having to worry about making your product stand out. I reiterate, it absolutely sucks for those of us who want better but their profit margin couldn't care less.
 
# 11 NightmareBooster @ 08/29/13 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
I don't buy or trust the hype. The above article says "More believable behavior from its players." What does that mean in EA's world? If they meant an emphasis on simulation realism, FIFA CG would have that already. EA designs their games and game features for a very particular target group, so I would guess "believable behavior" has more to do with player-specific animations and celebrations, etc.

I did notice more animations in the NG videos, so that's an improvement. But the overall movement of the players and game, and the choppy transition animations in particular, look almost identical to CG. I honestly feel happy and content now, knowing there's no need whatsoever to even consider rushing out to buy a next-gen system just to play FIFA.
That's exactly why I said "If". I don't buy into the EA hype machine either, I just feel that the modding community would be better off with the added tech of the new engine than without it.
 
# 12 Yeats @ 08/29/13 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
I just feel that the modding community would be better off with the added tech of the new engine than without it.
Sure, always. But here we are, looking at a choice between spending 40 bucks for the CG version of FIFA, versus a $500 investment for a NG version of essentially the identical game, just with better visuals. Considering that, I'll be happy with the CG PC version for this year anyway.
 
# 13 NightmareBooster @ 08/29/13 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Sure, always. But here we are, looking at a choice between spending 40 bucks for the CG version of FIFA, versus a $500 investment for a NG version of essentially the identical game, just with better visuals. Considering that, I'll be happy with the CG PC version for this year anyway.
Yeah, no use crying for the moon. Sigh.
 
# 14 Yeats @ 08/29/13 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareBooster
Yeah, no use crying for the moon. Sigh.
Well it's probably easier for me because I'm practical and frugal. Saving myself $500 and knowing I won't be missing out on much is good stuff.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.